US Air to United switch

Old Sep 3, 05, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, *Gold, AA Peon
US Air to United switch

Hi,

I'm currently deciding whether to switch from US to UA. I've spent the last few days reading threads on both programs, services, and FT feedback. Lately, I've been quite frustrated with US's service and customer support. Some of the things I am comparing are as follows. Curious if anyone else had thought about making a switch.

- Fly from SEA to BTV or PHL - UA tickets usually $15-35 cheaper

- US has a higher % of coach to first class (US A321 vs UA 757) which are usually the planes I fly on

- Bankruptcy always lingering w/ US

- UA Visa Signature offers EQM's for each $1 spent vs US Visa Signature giving 10k preferred miles after spending $25k

- Which elite program offeres better service? Unsure on this one (I like the free food - smile)

- US not as established for transcon to asia vs UA

- Concerned about tier status of US DM after HP merger. Could get UA to comp current status (US Gold)

So this is the latest list I have compiled. What do other FT ppls think. I'm still fairly new to FT and flying as an elite, but plan to be flying a lot more in the future.

Any thoughts or feedback? - GH
Old Sep 3, 05, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ghhoughton
Hi,

I'm currently deciding whether to switch from US to UA. I've spent the last few days reading threads on both programs, services, and FT feedback. Lately, I've been quite frustrated with US's service and customer support. Some of the things I am comparing are as follows. Curious if anyone else had thought about making a switch.
I'll respond even though I'm an HP person and don't have alot of insight on US (I've flown them exactly 4 times on 2 trips (Lost luggage 1 time ). If I were with US and perhaps kind of fed up with them for whatever reason I think I would wait to swap over just because something new is coming with the merger. You may not like it but I doubt you would have problems status matching to UA even after the merger.

- Fly from SEA to BTV or PHL - UA tickets usually $15-35 cheaper
I don't pay for my own tickets and thankfully my company isn't THAT bad that they would require me to take a $35 cheaper flight. Usually has to be $200-$300 cheaper to make us switch airlines. If I were paying for them I don't think $15 to $35 would make me switch.

- US has a higher % of coach to first class (US A321 vs UA 757) which are usually the planes I fly on
After the merger and who knows how long after I feel the new US will standardize the F size cabins on all the planes to be the same for each plane type. I expect them to look at how many they sell for each plane type and even out the planes (12 each for 319, 320, 321 and 14 for 757, 8-12 for 737). So this may or may not still be a factor for you.

There is the merger looming out there.

- UA Visa Signature offers EQM's for each $1 spent vs US Visa Signature giving 10k preferred miles after spending $25k
Are you sure the miles earned are EQM? I thought they were bonus miles only. Also with Juniper bank taking over the cards in the future as well as the merger looming that $25K offer may go bye bye for new cards....

- US not as established for transcon to asia vs UAH
I don't fly to Asia but there is always that * A out there to get you there somehow.

- Concerned about tier status of US DM after HP merger. Could get UA to comp current status (US Gold)
Gold status is the same on HP and US so I don't see why UA wouldn't match your status after the merger.

I'd say stick around and see if the new airline is to your liking and then if not, then go somewhere else.

Lance
Old Sep 3, 05, 10:54 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Truth be told I really don't know much about UA's program. However I have an uncle who is UA1 (mostly aspen-den-boisie I think) and he was blown away when I told him as US2 I got unlimited upgrades. He is top tier and has to buy upgrades each week.

Of course I also hear great things about UA's FC product.

Not sure that's much help... just 2 cents.
Old Sep 4, 05, 8:30 am

Hi,

Any thoughts or feedback? - GH
Miles on UA Visa Signature are not EQMs (Certainly not on my card). With UA Visa Platinum, can get up to 10,000 EQMs if >$35K spent/year (15,000 the 1st year, just looked at offer).
Old Sep 4, 05, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
ghhoughton,

First of all, US may have been in bankruptcy twice, but UA has been in BK for three years now and I don't see any realistic exit plan for them. So based on security of miles, I'm burning UA and accruing US--quite a change from earlier this year.

On UA the system of upgrades is enormously complex and there is no such thing as a free upgrade at UA unless you are travelling on a Y or B fare domestically. This may or may not benefit you.

Finally, UA WILL NOT comp your US status since they are members of the star alliance. Therefore, it will be a long, slow crawl up towards Premier status before you start to get elite benefits within mileage plus. Benefits at the Premier (2P) level are extraordinarily poor and basically consist of economy plus seating reserved in advance.
Old Sep 4, 05, 6:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I switched from US to UA and am not looking back, even though I fly from CLT. When I was considering what airlines I could take other than US, as I usually fly from CLT-NYC, UA won because I could still get some preferred treatment even without getting status matched on UA.

The biggest draws for me are having (1) a confirmed Economy Plus seat without having to deal with the headaches of having upgrades not clear until when I was at the gate (I got so sick of having US gate agents lie about my upgrade status and then being fussed at by flight attendants when I would go to my assigned coach seat when my upgrade had actually cleared and my coach seat had been given to someone else), which happened far too frequently on US even though I am Chairman's Preferred, and (2) Red Carpet Clubs available in a lot of airports where there is not a US Airways Club.

If you get a RCC membership on top of your US Club membership, the small fee will be prorated for whatever time is left during the term of your US Club membership. Also, UA FC seems a lot better than US's, even though on 737s there are only 8 seats on UA (it seems) compared to 12 on US. E+ is fine, though. UA's 757s are a lot better than US's cattle-car 757s (with 8 FC seats).

I'd definitely recommend taking UA. It's been a very good experience.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Sep 4, 05 at 6:32 pm
Old Sep 4, 05, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I switched from US to UA and am not looking back, even though I fly from CLT. When I was considering what airlines I could take other than US, as I usually fly from CLT-NYC, UA won because I could still get some preferred treatment even without getting status matched on UA.

The biggest draws for me are having (1) a confirmed Economy Plus seat without having to deal with the headaches of having upgrades not clear until when I was at the gate (I got so sick of having US gate agents lie about my upgrade status and then being fussed at by flight attendants when I would go to my assigned coach seat when my upgrade had actually cleared and my coach seat had been given to someone else), which happened far too frequently on US even though I am Chairman's Preferred, and (2) Red Carpet Clubs available in a lot of airports where there is not a US Airways Club.

If you get a RCC membership on top of your US Club membership, the small fee will be prorated for whatever time is left during the term of your US Club membership. Also, UA FC seems a lot better than US's, even though on 737s there are only 8 seats on UA (it seems) compared to 12 on US. E+ is fine, though. UA's 757s are a lot better than US's cattle-car 757s (with 8 FC seats).

I'd definitely recommend taking UA. It's been a very good experience.
I absolutely agree with taking UA over US. My flying habits just prevent it. But on the CLT-NYC route doesn't that put you through IAD on primarily UX which to me is the pits and an awful Terminal G at IAD?
Old Sep 4, 05, 8:03 pm

Programs: US1
Funny...several years ago I switched from UA to US. UA lost my luggage. It was never found. Then they told me that I must have a receipt for every item lost in my luggage (this was back in 97). They never gave me a penny or even an apology. Not even we are sorry.

I got tired of their crappy customer service. That is why I switched to US.

I also got tired of the rude employees at IAD and ORD.
Old Sep 6, 05, 4:00 am

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
Truth be told I really don't know much about UA's program. However I have an uncle who is UA1 (mostly aspen-den-boisie I think) and he was blown away when I told him as US2 I got unlimited upgrades. He is top tier and has to buy upgrades each week.

Of course I also hear great things about UA's FC product.

Not sure that's much help... just 2 cents.
Yes, but at least United has a great domestic First Class and they do issue a few confirmed North America upgrades as well some systemwide upgrades to their top tier 1K flyers

Last edited by fly747first; Sep 6, 05 at 4:04 am
Old Sep 6, 05, 8:34 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by fly747first
Yes, but at least United has a great domestic First Class and they do issue a few confirmed North America upgrades as well some systemwide upgrades to their top tier 1K flyers
Saw your orignal post via e-mail about unlimited upgrades on UA.... haven't never had UA status I could be very mistaken (and/or misheard my uncle).

I hear they have glass in FC... again somthing I wouldn't know about
Old Sep 6, 05, 11:25 am

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
Saw your orignal post via e-mail about unlimited upgrades on UA.... haven't never had UA status I could be very mistaken (and/or misheard my uncle).

I hear they have glass in FC... again somthing I wouldn't know about

But they do have unlimited upgrades, the problem is that you have to be on Y & B fare, which are usually higher than the discounted F fares.
Old Sep 6, 05, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
UA is also adding / has added F to most of their regional jets. Personally, I've never been thrilled with any domestic F product, though. The UA 757 is one of the better planes to be almost assured your u/g will clear (24 F seats) but isn't exactly anything to write home about.

UA's p.s. flights have an awfully nice C product, far better than any domestic F I've seen.

Well, UA has been lingering in bankruptcy court for three years now, so I'm not sure what you get over US there.

Up to 5k EQM, and only for purchases from United.com (though it could be for a DL flight for all they care--just has to be through that awful site United.com). They had a double RDM offer for those same purchases as well. I believe their Platinum Signature Visa offers bonus EQMs if you spend $35k.

Not likely that they will comp your US status. It's been done before, but about as rarely as comping to UA 1K (i.e. almost never). You may have luck getting another airline's comp and then having UA comp that.

Search this Thread