US Golds & HP Plats soon to be pissed!?

Old Sep 2, 05, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool US Golds & HP Plats soon to be pissed!?

Over in the US management forum one of the HP insiders has posted that another level will be added to DM.

In that thread I made some assumptions in which I feel will most likely happen.

Just thought I'd point it out.
Old Sep 2, 05, 3:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Your assumptions seem to be just that. What makes you assume that current HP PLTs won't be grouped with US Chairmans level elites? They've both reached the top tier of their perspective programs. One could argue that it's as hard (harder?) for an HP to reach 75k as a US to reach 100k given the differential in international routes.

Last edited by safetymom; Sep 2, 05 at 4:06 pm
Old Sep 2, 05, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by pdhenry
Your assumptions seem to be just that. What makes you assume that current HP PLTs won't be grouped with US Chairmans level elites?
Yes, they are my assumptions. However, I feel confident that HP is looking at how they can save money well before the interests of their frequent flyers, and their track record proves it.

Last edited by safetymom; Sep 2, 05 at 4:06 pm
Old Sep 2, 05, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
"Another possibility that they might be pondering " doesn't sound like too much to get excited over, especially when it makes a complex 4-tier system that no other airline has, and for which there is no real reason.

flyingtool made some bold statements. Only 10 posts tends to make me doubt credibility - is there something I don't know. Or is this just idle doom and gloom.

IMHO, moving PLT to parallel with CP through 2/07, and standardizing qualifying levels starting 1/06, not retroactively, makes the most sense.
Old Sep 2, 05, 4:07 pm

Once again people need to be reminded to think before they post. Please watch your language on FT.

I suggest reading the TOS for FT.
Old Sep 2, 05, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPRich
IMHO, moving PLT to parallel with CP through 2/07, and standardizing qualifying levels starting 1/06, not retroactively, makes the most sense.
I agree. The goal immediately after the merger is to incent the most people possible to attempt to earn the highest level possible.
Old Sep 2, 05, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by CPRich
[B
flyingtool [/B]made some bold statements. Only 10 posts tends to make me doubt credibility - is there something I don't know. Or is this just idle doom and gloom.
Where does post count come into this? If Doug Parker himself posted it with a post count of "1", would you doubt his credibility too?

Flyingtool is an actualy HP employee who works on FlightFund.
Old Sep 2, 05, 9:07 pm

Programs: Starfleet Captains Club
I'm wondering how this will effect people who earned CP through the 6689 promo (like me). I'm assuming that since I've got CP through 2006, that it wouldn't be downgraded (even though I probably won't fly 100k this year) but there's no telling what could happen after a merger.

I agree though that it seems more likely that there would be a one year grace period, so that they wouldn't lose their best clients en masse due to changes in the program, ie: HP plats and CPs would be at the same level.

Why would they risk pissing off their best customers? Such stupidity does not bode well..
Old Sep 2, 05, 9:48 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I think it's hilarious.

You draw the line somewhere. Keep three levels, and either crank CP back to 75k next year or push Plat up to 100k next year.

Adding a fourth level devalues the program and makes it more expensive to run. Adding a fifth level (talked about in the other thread over in the HP forum) dilutes the program even further, and ensures that the entire plane preboards. One might argue that US has already done this with the Signature Visa, but that's neither here nor there.

If this is Parker's opening salvo, I'm suprised--I thought he was smater than this.
Old Sep 3, 05, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Where does post count come into this? If Doug Parker himself posted it with a post count of "1", would you doubt his credibility too?

Flyingtool is an actualy HP employee who works on FlightFund.
Post count comes into a track record of credibility, yes. If some guy posted with the handle "Doug Parker" and said "hi, I'm the CEO, and I'm going to set up the new DM with 9 qualification levels so we can really differentiate our customers" - yes I would doubt his credibility. Do you believe everything you read here?

I could claim to be whoever I want to be also. Which is why I inquired . FWIW, flyingtool also discussed a 4th tier to FlightFund in August 2004, and posted that he was moving to Idaho although his location say Phoenix, so I wouldn't bow to his omniscience until I know more. I guess we'll find out in 28 days.
Old Sep 3, 05, 7:36 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
. . . one of the HP insiders has posted that another level will be added to DM . . .

Let's keep this statement in its proper perspective. This is not an official statement issued by HP or US. It is a FT thread which is attributed to "an insider". In other words, it's speculative, no more no less. This is not to dismiss the ideas or thoughts being discussed in the relevant HP thread.

All of us are waiting to see what is going to happen as HP and US merge their FF programs. There's a lot at stake for us DM members. My biggest fear is a devaluation of the DM program or changes which impact its flexibility. My own hope is that they retain the fundamental essence which makes the US DM program that I've stuck with.

One can see many similarities between the two programs, but there are also important differences. There's all kinds of ways to surmise/speculate about just how HP is going look at the equation.

The big picture is that they are melding a full service International carrier which has done a mediocre job of changing with the times into an already functioning discount carrier which aspires to retain that persona while growing and running with the big boys. That means mixing a lot of different types of customers and expectations into one program. I hope that HP has done their homework and obtained an accurate view of who DM members are and what we want.

Barry
Old Sep 3, 05, 8:43 am

None of the details of the new combined program have been released yet. So we can only guess at this point.
Old Sep 3, 05, 3:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
When they finally figure out how much regular traffic they have lost, I'm guessing 2006 will turn out to be the easiest year anyone ever had to hold status, requalified or not.
Old Sep 3, 05, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
. . . one of the HP insiders has posted that another level will be added to DM . . .

Let's keep this statement in its proper perspective. This is not an official statement issued by HP or US. It is a FT thread which is attributed to "an insider". In other words, it's speculative, no more no less. This is not to dismiss the ideas or thoughts being discussed in the relevant HP thread.

All of us are waiting to see what is going to happen as HP and US merge their FF programs. There's a lot at stake for us DM members. My biggest fear is a devaluation of the DM program or changes which impact its flexibility. My own hope is that they retain the fundamental essence which makes the US DM program that I've stuck with.

One can see many similarities between the two programs, but there are also important differences. There's all kinds of ways to surmise/speculate about just how HP is going look at the equation.

The big picture is that they are melding a full service International carrier which has done a mediocre job of changing with the times into an already functioning discount carrier which aspires to retain that persona while growing and running with the big boys. That means mixing a lot of different types of customers and expectations into one program. I hope that HP has done their homework and obtained an accurate view of who DM members are and what we want.

Barry

Hmmmm snap out of it! First of all, the DM program is already aligned with all the Star Alliance awards and redeemption booking classes, you mean to tell me that Parker is gonna favor keeping Flight Fund and start from scratch? Pleaseeeeee...
Old Sep 4, 05, 7:24 am

What's everyone doing about carryover?

So, what is everyone doing who now has over 100K. I have carryover and am wondering if I should get Delta or NW to match my US1 status (will they?) without a challenge and then push 50K or so miles until the end of the year. What is everyone else doing?

Search this Thread