Companion Upgrade when purchasing F Seat

Old Sep 3, 2005, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Companion Upgrade when purchasing F Seat

I booked a flight from PHL-MCO and because of the times I am flying, the lowest fare available was in FC on the outbound and coach on the return (Sun-Thurs itinerary - price around $400 or so I think).

I have a co-worker flying on the same outbound flight and for whatever reason, our travel agency was able to find him (at the same price) a coach fare on the outbound. So I call US and ask for companion upgrade (I am US Gold) and they tell me that I can't upgrade him since I'm on a purchased F seat. Is this true? This makes no sense at all. She told me that if I had purchased a coach fare, I could upgrade him at the 3 day window, but since I'm already in first I couldn't upgrade him. Is this true or is this just plain nonsense? She also said she confirmed it with her manager.

Any help will be most appreciated.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by PHL INTL TERMINAL
I booked a flight from PHL-MCO and because of the times I am flying, the lowest fare available was in FC on the outbound and coach on the return (Sun-Thurs itinerary - price around $400 or so I think).

I have a co-worker flying on the same outbound flight and for whatever reason, our travel agency was able to find him (at the same price) a coach fare on the outbound. So I call US and ask for companion upgrade (I am US Gold) and they tell me that I can't upgrade him since I'm on a purchased F seat. Is this true? This makes no sense at all. She told me that if I had purchased a coach fare, I could upgrade him at the 3 day window, but since I'm already in first I couldn't upgrade him. Is this true or is this just plain nonsense? She also said she confirmed it with her manager.

Any help will be most appreciated.
That's about as counter-intuitive as it gets.....

I would say - well fine, cancel the F seat rebook iinto Y and upgrade immediately and refnud the difference (if there was one - doesnt seem like thats the case on this route)
Old Sep 3, 2005, 4:20 pm

A few weeks ago, I was on a paid F ticket (ok, so it was one of the $2 tickets). I met another FTer on my trip (not on an F ticket and no status on US) and was able to put her on the waitlist for an upgrade as my companion that day.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 7:32 am

It's not true

I had the same problem recently. Someone on the CP desk told me that I absolutely could not upgrade someone because I was already in first on a first class fare. I called back and the rep called a supervisor and they said, no problem, as long as it is within the 7 day window. I called back at the 7 day window and my companion was upgraded--no problems.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:36 am

I think if is pure BS. They should encourage you to buy a FC ticket not give you a reason not to.

Here are the official rules from the website. They must be using a loose definition of the second part.

"When Traveling with a Companion
Request to upgrade your companion by calling US Airways Reservations and again when checking in at an airport ticket counter or departure gate. Also, you must check-in before your companion.

Your companion must accompany you on the same flight, itinerary and cabin. "

I think that this was written in general terms for the possibility of 3 cabin aircraft. That was so you can't go business to FC and the companion goes coach to business.

If you both end up in the same cabin then all is OK and the rule is followed - in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.