Schedule changes

Old Aug 27, 05, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Schedule changes

About a month ago, I booked a non-stop return trip BOS-CUN for Thanksgiving. However, I recently noticed that US cancelled the non-stop BOS-CUN flight and automatically rebooked me on a connection flight BOS-CTL-CUN. The non-stop CUN-BOS is still in effect.
Can US just do this? In my opinion, a connection flight is worth less than a non-stop flight so at least I should get my money back? Any thoughts on this?

*I am forced to use this account until my old "dieuwer" account has been repaired*

Last edited by Dieuwer; Aug 27, 05 at 2:56 pm
Old Aug 27, 05, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
About a month ago, I booked a non-stop return trip BOS-CUN for Thanksgiving. However, I recently noticed that US cancelled the non-stop BOS-CUN flight and automatically rebooked me on a connection flight BOS-CTL-CUN. The non-stop CUN-BOS is still in effect.
Can US just do this? In my opinion, a connection flight is worth less than a non-stop flight so at least I should get my money back? Any thoughts on this?

*I am forced to use this account until my old "dieuwer" account has been repaired*
The airline has a right to do that though I think in good practice if the deviation is substantial enough you can ask for your money back. An argument though would depend on whether or not another airline offered a BOS-CUN non-stop?

I'm assuming that the route wasn't entirely discounted, just less frequency if there is still a non-stop in return?
Old Aug 27, 05, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

At the time, US was the only airline offering a non-stop flight BOS-CUN for the date I wanted to fly. Now, no airline offers a non-stop flight BOS-CUN for the date I want to fly.
I guess they were no able to sell enough seats on that particular flight so they dumped it. Next time, I will avoid booking early. It clearly does not pay off...
Old Aug 27, 05, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Generally, when the airline does a schedule change and rebooks you and you don't like the new itinerary, they have wide latitude to make changes when you call up about it, even if you had a non-refundable ticket. Refund would probably be an option, though when it's happened to me in the past I've always just moved to different flights whose times I liked better. Never had to deal with a nonstop going to a required connection before though, so I can understand your frustration.

Looking at a few November days' BOS-CUN schedules, it's an odd mix of days with no nonstops to days with two nonstops. I'm not sure the November schedules are final yet.
Old Aug 27, 05, 4:52 pm

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
... In my opinion, a connection flight is worth less than a non-stop flight so at least I should get my money back? Any thoughts on this?
If your only option is a connection flight regardless of airline, what good would getting your money back do for you? Do you not want to go to CUN now?
Old Aug 27, 05, 11:55 pm

Programs: US CP, *Gold, AA Peon
Same problem

I had the same problem w/ a SEA-BTV trip scheduled for Nov. They canceled a 9:40pm 1 connection flight, and made it two connections and several hours longer.

They were willing to refund the ticket, however my flight is right before turkey day, and all tickets have sored much higher then my original price so it would do me no good. I was not a happy camper, especially when I was meeting someone in Philly to connect on w/ to BTV. Now, we're on different flights and they won't change her's to match mine, and I can't get into PHL any earlier then my new itinerary.

Boo! Oh well, I guess it's part of working w/ US's restructuring and cutbacks.

- GH
Old Aug 28, 05, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by ghhoughton
Boo! Oh well, I guess it's part of working w/ US's restructuring and cutbacks.
- GH
US is certainly not the only airline that makes schedule changes. However, they are one of the better carriers about working with you to meet your needs once that has happened. As in the case of anything else with US, if you don't like the answer, call back and speak with someone else. Find out ahead of time what works best for you: different flight out of SEA, UA codeshare, alternate arrival airport, etc. make sure that it's available, and suggest to the agent that they move you to those flights.

I would suggest looking at a UA codeshare through ORD or a morning flight.

Last edited by cedric; Aug 28, 05 at 1:32 am
Old Aug 28, 05, 2:51 am

Programs: US CP, *Gold, AA Peon
Good point! Trying to be a responsible flyer and understanding that itineraries change, I looked up 3 alt flight options to share, which were US or UA code share. All would have put me in PHL for my 7:35am connection. However, the Consumer Affair's agent said I had to stick to US Air flights only and couldn't put me on a united flight, even though it was a US Air flight, operated by UA. Bummer.

Perhaps, I will try to call and connect with another individual. Think they log conversations w/ customers?... I told them I'm sick of poor US Air customer service and was done flying with them. - Nothing worse then getting upset and making claims and not following through with them.
Old Sep 5, 05, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Guess what? I checked my itinerary today and US changed it again! This time, they moved the non-stop flight CUN-BOS from 5pm to 1 pm! Now, I have to change my car rental reservation as well!!!
When does US finally has its schedule in order?

Search this Thread