Search

US Airways July net income $2.34 million

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
US Airways July net income $2.34 million

I didn't see this posted yet. Good, bad, indifferent? Discuss...

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - US Airways Group (UAIRQ.OB) said on Friday it posted net income of $2.34 million for the month ended July 31.

US Airways also said in a regulatory filing that its operating revenue for the month was $678.3 million.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Typical summer short-term profitability. Same thing happened last summer. I fully expect the red ink to come back this fall and winter as loads make their seasonal pull back.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:22 pm

Red Ink Probably Will Follow, But Step in Right Direction

Sure the red ink will follow, but just to have an operating profit with the high cost of jet fuel while other legacy carriers are showing losses is a step in the right direction. ^
Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:17 pm

Programs: US1, NW, AA, SPG...
The net income number here isn't particularly relevant unless you're one of the fools that think that the equity is still worth $0.30 something a share... did anyone pull down a cash flow number, particularly cash flow from operations? That would be more interesting... it had better be healthy considering the load factors in the summer.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:16 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by abeflyer
Sure the red ink will follow, but just to have an operating profit with the high cost of jet fuel while other legacy carriers are showing losses is a step in the right direction. ^
If you subtract their noncash onetime items (largely writing off abrogated aircraft leases), even UA made 76 million in operating profit. If US only eeked 2 million, it's not a good sign.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by bigred93
The net income number here isn't particularly relevant unless you're one of the fools that think that the equity is still worth $0.30 something a share... did anyone pull down a cash flow number, particularly cash flow from operations? That would be more interesting... it had better be healthy considering the load factors in the summer.
Cash Flow from Operations, for July: Minus $146 million

now that's a truly astounding rate of bleeding. means the posted "profits" must've been from fulfilling tickets previously sold.

unrestricted cash was down to $489 million at July 31st.

US is officially in a final desperate death spiral. To drain $5m a day in JULY on operations is beyond abysmal.

I'm sure they can't wait to wind up separate reporting once the merger closes.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Ivory, TK Classic Plus, Car Hrtz PC, AVIS Pref, Hotel HH Dia, ICPC Gold, Marriot Gold
Who are they merging with? I'm based in Europe and was not aware they were merging....
Old Aug 27, 2005, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by bigbaldbairn
Who are they merging with? I'm based in Europe and was not aware they were merging....
with HP, America West. As of approximately October 2005, US creditors will give up their claims in exchange for 12 percent ownership of the merged carrier.

you've much merger-reading to catch up on-- start at americawest.com
Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:42 pm

Programs: US GP, DL GM, HH Gold, StarWood Gold, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by martin33

now that's a truly astounding rate of bleeding. means the posted "profits" must've been from fulfilling tickets previously sold.

US is officially in a final desperate death spiral. To drain $5m a day in JULY on operations is beyond abysmal.

$5 mil a day. Pennies... DL lost $5 billion in 2004 followed by $1.1 billion in 1Q 2005. Of course, 2nd quarter was really looking up as they only lost $380 million.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 6:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Delta is definitely in worse shape than US, especially with US's cash infusion from various parties in connection with the merger. But a company that is losing money eventually will run out of money and liquidate, unless investors are constantly found to keep it alive, and eventually there won't be enough investors willing to throw money down a black hole like the Alabama pension fund did.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:19 pm

Programs: HHonors DM, Airtran Elite, Delta SM
Hopefully US throws some promos out there that make me want to fly more this fall. Maybe that will help things out
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by martin33

That is scary--really scary. Would like to blame it on the price of the jet juice, but frankly, if they can't make do in the summer while operating under court protection, I've finally become a bit scared--I've NEVER felt this way before.

Anyone with cheery news??
Old Aug 29, 2005, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by gatorbri
$5 mil a day. Pennies... DL lost $5 billion in 2004 followed by $1.1 billion in 1Q 2005. Of course, 2nd quarter was really looking up as they only lost $380 million.
US is considerably smaller than DL. "pennies" to DL are not pennies at US.
DL will be forced to enter Ch11 if its cash drops below roughly $1bn. US has less than half that, and is in danger of breaching its most significant loan covenants.

The liquidation hammer would be falling now at US, if there were not a merger in place.

and if they don't stop the current levels of bloodletting, it won't take long to sink the merged carrier, either. Get busy, Mr Parker...
Old Aug 29, 2005, 3:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
In the airline business, the real number is operating profit, or cash flow. Since they generate large paper losses from the depreciation of aircraft, to get the cash flow, you back those out, and under normal conditions, the company has actually done much better than it looks. In effect, these non cash writeoffs have created a big tax shelter. Now we have USAirways, reporting an unexpectedly good "net profit", which we then find is over a hundred million
dollars greater than actual operating performance. It means two things. Firstly, they have used some non cash credits to boost income, and secondly, they are bleeding to death, which is all the more curious, in light of their continuing hard line on fares that in many cases are higher than competitors. As I have said in other threads, when AWA finally gets a peek at the internal disaster they are inheriting, they will mess their pants.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 3:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Delta thoughts. They are a bigger disaster than USAirways. There is just more room to hide it. I spent the weekend in Asheville, NC. Both coming and going, I observed dreadfully delayed flights, and at least one cancellation, all involving flights to and from ATL. And that's just one small station.Their most creative response to competition seems to be a continuing transfer of services to Song, their low cost subsidiary.They must be shredding their yields something awful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.