Any "danger" in joining UA RCC?

Old Aug 17, 2005, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Question Any "danger" in joining UA RCC?

My US club membership is up for renewal, and I am thinking of switching to the RCC. I often am in airports with RCCs but no US club, when I am flying on US, or on another airline. Thus, the RCC "add-on" to a US membership doesn't help, since that only works when flying UA.

So, my question is, what does everyone think about the potential danger of buying a RCC membership, given the impending merger? Is there a likelihood of RCC membership losing access to US clubs?

I would like the greater flexibility that the RCC membership offers, but it's important that I continue to have access to US clubs.

I'd be very interested in any thoughts that folks might have on this topic. Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:21 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
The "speculation" that I've read is that while the new US will remain in the Star Alliance, the codeshare/club agreements between US and UA will probably end. I have not heard or read anything other than speculation so this is anybody's guess I suppose.

I already am an RCC member, and I just renewed last month. So, if the club agreement ends, I'll just have to buy a US membership. I tend to be on US a lot more than UA. I'd been crediting my miles to UA as well, but finally made the break to US in June when it suddenly donned on me that I may take 50 trips a year on US, and 5 on UA and I'd rather sit in First on 50 trips as opposed to 5. The merger apparently making US more likely to keep flying probably contributed to my decision as well. I suspect that when my RCC membership expires that I will not renew it and instead join the US club.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
I'm in a very similar situation right now. My RCC membership expires at the end of next month. I have no status on UA, and rarely fly them, but the RCC membership has worked out well for me...there's never been a time when I wasn't allowed in a RCC or US Club. I'm just hesitant to renew because of the merger and all of the "what ifs" that it introduces.

The 5K EQMs that US is offering for joining the Club prior to Aug 31 is also tempting...

(okay okay...so I don't really NEED the miles, but I think you all understand... )
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:45 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors
Great question

My RCC membership is up for renewal as well. Fortunately, my company paid for RCC, Crown (Delta), NW (forget the name, never used it) and Admirals Club (AA). I have been to the US club ONCE and it was so crowded that is was an a very unpleasant experience. But, I fly mostly US and only use UA on western routes (SFO, LAX, NRT).

My favorite, by far, in Delta's Crown Club. Second is AA's Admiral's Club. Third is CO's El Presidente Club. I have always found RCC to be near the bottom (often grungy, drink coupons, crowded, etc). Is US's club similar to RCC in that way? Again, my only experience in Philadelphia (INTERNATIONAL DEPARTURE) may have been a fluke, but ...

My favorite in the whole world is ... Air France's club in CDG (the BIG one). Lots of internet stations, free drinks (I am diabetic and don't drink alcohol, but I appreciate the thought), and many newspapers and magazines. Cool!
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:22 am

Programs: US1, NW, AA, SPG...
Originally Posted by LPCJr
My US club membership is up for renewal, and I am thinking of switching to the RCC. I often am in airports with RCCs but no US club, when I am flying on US, or on another airline. Thus, the RCC "add-on" to a US membership doesn't help, since that only works when flying UA.

So, my question is, what does everyone think about the potential danger of buying a RCC membership, given the impending merger? Is there a likelihood of RCC membership losing access to US clubs?

I would like the greater flexibility that the RCC membership offers, but it's important that I continue to have access to US clubs.

I'd be very interested in any thoughts that folks might have on this topic. Thanks!
Keep in mind Parker's vaguely threatening language about reducing "amenities geared towards the business traveler" (I am paraphrasing here) which many believe to foreshadow a further reduction in the US club network... in which case I would guess an RCC membership might become more valuable for the locations in which the RCC is near US gates. All speculation at this point though.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:25 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by bigred93
Keep in mind Parker's vaguely threatening language about reducing "amenities geared towards the business traveler" (I am paraphrasing here) which many believe to foreshadow a further reduction in the US club network... in which case I would guess an RCC membership might become more valuable for the locations in which the RCC is near US gates. All speculation at this point though.
Good point. I took that to mean that clubs like RDU and GSO may be on the hit list. Time will tell.

I love the RCC for no other reason than the plentiful (usually) cheese and crackers and free toblerones.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Now, more than ever, is the time to renew your RCC membership, or convert from US Airways Club membership.

See US/UA lounge agreement ending?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...86#post4473286

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Aug 17, 2005 at 7:14 pm
Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I'd be interested in how things work when a person with a US Club membership with the UA RCC add-on tries to get into a UA RCC when NOT flying UA, or when a person with a UA RCC membership tries to get into a US Club when NOT flying US.

I thought that if you have one airline's lounge membership (with the other airline's add-on membership) and if you want to enter the other airline's lounge, you have to be flying on the other airline. I have a US Club membership and paid the UA RCC add-on fee but was able to get into a UA RCC even though I was flying AA today; the attendant pointed to the UA RCC logo on my card and said, "That's all you need to get in."

As my home airport is Charlotte, the only lounge there is a US Club, but I don't fly US; I fly into NYC in terminals that have UA RCCs but not US Clubs, so I'm weighing my lounge options for next year.

Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I have always thought if you had the US Club membership with the RCC add on that you needed to be flying on UA to gain access to a RCC. Likewise if you have a RCC membership you need to be flying on US to gain access to a US club. Has anyone experienced anything to contradict this?
Old Dec 4, 2005, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I'd be interested in how things work when a person with a US Club membership with the UA RCC add-on tries to get into a UA RCC when NOT flying UA, or when a person with a UA RCC membership tries to get into a US Club when NOT flying US.

I have an RCC membership but fly almost exclusively US. 99% of the time the US Club agent asks to see my BP when I enter. They write down your RCC membership number and your flight number in their little log books.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I fly 100% on US metal. However I have a RCC membership because when I am in a city that does not have a US club (like DFW) I can access the RCC without showing any boarding pass. US will write my MP number down and ask to see my US boarding pass when I enter a US club.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:31 am

Programs: USAir CP, United, Continental, Marriott Gold, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt
I have US membership and have been denied access to the RCC in ORD numerous times when I was not flying UA (even though I have the RCC add-on).
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:05 pm

Programs: United 1k - Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iggy726
I have US membership and have been denied access to the RCC in ORD numerous times when I was not flying UA (even though I have the RCC add-on).
The way I was told as a UA 1K. As long as I have a US flight or part of my trip contains a US flight I can access US lounges.

I do many flights via CLT, so I have flow in on UA and out of CLT on US and have no problem getting into the US lounge. Same on the way out I have had a UA flight to CLT or PIT or PHL, then a UA back to O'hare and have no problem getting into the US lounge with my RCC card. I am going to assume it works the other way on UA.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Lightbulb Sometimes they let you in when you're not entitled.

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I have a US Club membership and paid the UA RCC add-on fee but was able to get into a UA RCC even though I was flying AA today; the attendant pointed to the UA RCC logo on my card and said, "That's all you need to get in."
From the foreging responses, and the express Terms and Conditions of US Airways Club "UA add-on" membership, it looks like you got lucky.

I wouldn't count on that happening repeatedly, or even ever again, unless US/UA change their relationship to include "full reciprocity" as CO & NW have had for at least five years.

The US-UA relationship is like what DL had with CO and NW. DL Crown Room Club members had to be flying CO or NW that day (somewhere), or they couldn't get in to the CO or NW lounges, respectively. The same applied to CO and NW members who wanted DL club access.

However, effective 1 Dec 05, DL has entered into full reciprocity with CO and NW. So there is always hope that US and UA will see the light. Until then, however, you have to be flying UA that day to get Red Carpet Club access with the US Airways Club "UA add-on" membership.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Full reciprocity, of course, would require harmonization of pricing schemes. Otherwise, everyone would simply go for the less expensive, and ignore the ridiculous US "add-on" memberships.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.