rollover miles for 2006?

Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
rollover miles for 2006?

I've made chairman preferred again and usually just continue using my
usairways ff and rollover the miles for the next year.

Now that it looks like the ff merger with HP might be accomplished this year any thoughts on whether to credit to another star alliance carrier or Qantas or just keep earning miles for my US account?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:33 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
This question has been raised a few times already and the answer is always the same...."nobody knows".

I certainly wouldn't assume it's going to happen, though.

Does HP ever give rollover status? That might be one indication of whether or not the new US would do it. Also consider the other question that is burning in HP FlightFund members' minds - will the CP threshold remain 100K, or be reduced to 75K? Why allow rollover miles if the threshold is only 75K?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:37 am

Programs: US1
Just like PHL said. No one knows at this point. But we will know at least in a couple of months.....I would hope at least by Oct.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
Just like PHL said. No one knows at this point. But we will know at least in a couple of months.....I would hope at least by Oct.
Yeah I'm sure this is a point they are weighing heavily. Keep it at 100K and some of the extra benefits of CP at US Airways now or lower it to 75K and possibly drop some of the niceties that CPs enjoy now. (CP Desk, 7 Day window for domestic upgrades, and the Trans Atlantic upgrades). Personally I hope they keep it at 100K and allow rollover to contribute to next year. Alot may be limited on what they use as their FF tracking system and if it has a provision to track rollover miles as well. I agree at 75K you don't "need" rollover but I'm sure they'll lose alot of late year business to other airlines once people "meet" the miles guidelines and don't have any reason to fly them anymore and can build up another carriers FF account.

I personally don't hop around if I hit the 75K. I keep using HP and build up my miles there alone. But I know there are more than a few that will jump to another carrier and get some status there at the end of the year or slowly build their status by taking trips on different carriers throughout the year.

Lance
Old Aug 9, 2005, 8:18 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Some of us make CP in the first quarter of the year. Without rollover, there's no reason to not go and make status with another airline, especially if it's part of an alliance other than Star. Afterall, those who make CP early in the year have plenty of US miles such that the need to keep banking with one airline is moot.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Wow you fly 100K in the first three months??? That is totally insane. I might make 100K this year especially with a couple trips to italy this month and next but 100K in 3 months is absolutely insane

Lance
Old Aug 9, 2005, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
There should be an incentive to keep flying US

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Some of us make CP in the first quarter of the year. Without rollover, there's no reason to not go and make status with another airline, especially if it's part of an alliance other than Star......
Whatever the combined HP/US FF program looks like, I hope somebody in charge thinks about loyal fliers who like to remain loyal to US throughout the year. If no carryover, try to think of something else attractive that will keep us flying on your planes past 100k Miles!

I'm already at 200k Preferred Miles (with carryover) for 2005, and that's wwaaaaaay more than enough to lose if there ain't carryover for 2006. I'm easing up on flying US, and miles credited to DM from other *A, for the rest of the year, because it's the logical thing to do.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 9:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
A couple of things about HP:

There is no rollover program. However, I've known two people who flew more than 100K one year and then fell short of the 75K the next year and were downgraded to Gold. They asked HP to extend their status based upon the average of the two years. In both cases, they did it. No real incentive here, as you're obviously at their mercy after the fact.

The only incentive in the Flight Fund program is the "Nominate a Friend" program. As Platinum, one of the benefits is that you can elevate a Flight Fund member of your choosing to Silver Elite Status for the year of your status. For every 25K EQM's you fly over the 75K Platinum threshold, you can nominate an additional person. It's nice (my parents love it! ^ ) but in my view it's not near the incentive as the rollover US has been offering.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:31 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
Wow you fly 100K in the first three months??? That is totally insane. I might make 100K this year especially with a couple trips to italy this month and next but 100K in 3 months is absolutely insane

Lance
It's the beauty of being a CP--they suck you in with the rollover. I rolled over 40K and flew only 60K in the first quarter--and that got me to CP. The rollover keeps you loyal. No rollover and no incentive to keep flying. I don't need the additional miles in my US account. I rather put them somewhere else, get status with that airline, and increase my flexibility for award travel by not being tied exclusively to US and Star.

The annual gamble is not knowing if they'll continue this unpublished benefit. The merger has made us all the more anxious and uncertain.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:51 am

Pillow please

Besides the rollover and the 75 vs 100K issues, the other question is the soft landing (ie. not dropping more than 1 level).

At US there have been many reports of both hard and soft landings. We never figured out the parameters of who gets a soft landing, but at least it was a possibility.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:05 pm

Programs: US Chairman
Question What is rollover miles?

Sorry to be so uninformed, I'm aiming for CP this year, but I don't understand what and how the rollover is done.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by lydia
Sorry to be so uninformed, I'm aiming for CP this year, but I don't understand what and how the rollover is done.
Rollover is quite simple. For the past few years when the clock resets on 01/01 any Preferred Mileage over the 100,000 threshold for CP rolls over towards qualifying for the next year. i.e. on 12/31 you have 150K Preferred Miles you will start on 01/01 with 50K Preferred miles towards the next year.....you are already Gold for the following year......Hope that helps.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by dukeman
Rollover is quite simple. For the past few years when the clock resets on 01/01 any Preferred Mileage over the 100,000 threshold for CP rolls over towards qualifying for the next year. i.e. on 12/31 you have 150K Preferred Miles you will start on 01/01 with 50K Preferred miles towards the next year.....you are already Gold for the following year......Hope that helps.
Rollover also applies to segments -- any segments over 100 will apply towards your status for the following year.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
With rollover in place for the last several years, there are quite a few folks who are CP for the next year as of 1/1 - no flying involved. 100K in 3 months would be impressive, although I'm sure a few have done it. The published high-mileage earner last year was somewhere in the 460K range, iirc, so that averages more than 100K every 3 months.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dukeman
Actually in the past you start on Jan 1 with zero tier miles and segments, but then on a pre-announced date, maybe Feb 15, or Mar 15, the rollover tier miles are magically added to your balance.

Usually if they are going to do it, they send out notification in CP's monthly email statements around Sep or Oct or so.

I am at 127K tier for the year, hit CP in May, with the benefit of about 53K rollover, I am dying to know if free club at 150K and rollover are still in effect.

Psychologists know that people will put $1 in a slot machine and pull the handle for a long time if the machine usually returns nothing and occasionally returns a great deal of money. If each time they put in a dollar, they get 95 cents back they soon quit even though the payout ratio is the same. Maybe they keep us guessing every year so we don't get bored.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.