Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

US Ticket on UA Codeshare - can I standby for a flight on US metal?

US Ticket on UA Codeshare - can I standby for a flight on US metal?

Old Jul 26, 2005, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Question US Ticket on UA Codeshare - can I standby for a flight on US metal?

I have a US ticket for a codeshare flight on UA metal. Since it's a US ticket, can I standby for a flight on US metal? If so, could someone explain how to go about doing this? Would I check in at UA and then go to the US gate? Thanks for any help you can provide...
Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:19 am

Programs: US lowlife
Yes. Checkin and get your BP with UA, then head over to the US gate to request standby.

You may be charged the $25 standby fee, depending on how nice the US agent is.

-JC
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by jcooke
Yes. Checkin and get your BP with UA, then head over to the US gate to request standby.

-JC
Thanks much!
Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat

-JC
Is there a rule to not charge the standby fee to preferred members? I think DL waives their fee for Gold / Plat members.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Originally Posted by UABigBird
Is there a rule to not charge the standby fee to preferred members? I think DL waives their fee for Gold / Plat members.
Preferreds do not get the standby fee waived....technically.

YMMV
Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Follow-up question...

-JC
Here's a follow-up to my original question...can the standby, switching from UA metal to US metal, also include a change of routing? Right now, I have a US ticket on UA for MSP-ORD-PHL (because I don't think I can make the last nonstop on US). But, if I make it to the airport in time for that last nonstop MSP-PHL, will they let me use standby?
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Bump.

Any takers?
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Question A very confusing experience...

Seeing that I did end up trying to make this happen last week, I'd like to share the details of a very confusing experience.

-- Before my outbound flight PHL-MSP, I asked the representative in the F-Terminal Club in PHL, "can I standby on a nonstop MSP-PHL flight, when I am ticketed for MSP-ORD-PHL on UA on a US ticket?" The agent's response was, "Yes, as long as it is a US ticket." "How do I do that?" "Check in with United, then go to the US gate." That sounded fairly straightforward to me.

-- Arriving in MSP for my return flight, I did get there early enough to make the MSP-PHL nonstop on US, and I followed the agent's instructions. I get to the gate, and inquire about standby, and the GA tells me that she can let me standby, but that I have to see a UA agent to get "un-checked-in", because otherwise she can't access the ticket. This part was of course news to me.

-- I asked the US agent how I can do that if I'm going standby. If I give up my confirmed seats on UA, what would happen if I didn't make standby? At that point, she keys something on the computer and says that she's confirmed a seat and now I need to go see UA.

-- So I hoof it down to the RCC. Go in and tell the representative there my story, and she looks at me like I have nine heads. She said that for me to fly on US, UA has to sign over the ticket to US, and that UA would lose money by doing that. I explained everything that I had been told by the agent in the US club in PHL, that they said I could standby because it was a US ticket. UA agent says that because they are "signing you over" to US, they're not inclined to do it unless there's an extenuating circumstance - cancellation, missed connection, etc. However, she did say that it really did sound like I'd been misled, and that therefore she'd do it as a courtesy. But, she said, it makes no difference whose ticket you are on. In her view, what matters is who is flying the plane.

-- Get back to the US gate, and they are now able to access the ticket, and I make the flight.

This scenario opened up a whole host of questions in my mind...
1) Who's right, the US rep or the UA rep?
2) Why does changing the carrier amount to "signing over" the ticket? If I am on a flight that has a US flight number, then it seems to me that it doesn't matter who's flying the plane (UA).
3) If both flights have US flight numbers (but are operated by different carriers) then why can't I standby? I'm simply going from one US flight to another US flight.
4) If I can't standby if it results in a change in carriers, then what is the point of having the codeshare? What you would in effect be saying is that a UA-operated flight is not also a US flight (despite the fact that the codeshare implies that it is both a UA flight and a US flight.

This seems like questions that UA and US don't have consistent answers to, and I'd love to know what the correct answers are. If anyone knows anything about any of these questions, I'd love to hear what you know. Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:54 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Originally Posted by LPCJr
[...]the GA tells me that she can let me standby, but that I have to see a UA agent to get "un-checked-in", because otherwise she can't access the ticket.
This much is true. The way the e-ticket systems work, you can't do anything to an e-ticket once it's checked in. And US can't un-check you in; UA has to do that. (It happened to me flying SYR-ORD on a US ticket on UA metal. Several UA flights cancelled, so the Chairman's desk confirmed me on US metal SYR-PHL-ORD. When I went to the US ticket counter in SYR to get my new boarding passes, the agent had to call UA and ask them to un-check me in. The US agent could then access my record & print my new boarding passes for the US flights.)

The RCC agent was wrong, I believe. You're not asking to be written over to US. You're already on a 037 US ticket. Your fare went from you to US. [That said, US will pay UA after the fact if you actually take a UA flight. If you don't, no harm, no foul.]

So if you had not checked in (i.e., not gotten your boarding pass) from UA first, a US ticket counter agent would have been able to print you an e-ticket boarding pass for the MSP-PHL nonstop. Since you did check in, UA had to un-check you in before US could help you.

Sheesh, why do I know this crap??
David
Old Sep 27, 2005, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IndyDavid
This much is true. The way the e-ticket systems work, you can't do anything to an e-ticket once it's checked in. And US can't un-check you in; UA has to do that. (It happened to me flying SYR-ORD on a US ticket on UA metal. Several UA flights cancelled, so the Chairman's desk confirmed me on US metal SYR-PHL-ORD. When I went to the US ticket counter in SYR to get my new boarding passes, the agent had to call UA and ask them to un-check me in. The US agent could then access my record & print my new boarding passes for the US flights.)

The RCC agent was wrong, I believe. You're not asking to be written over to US. You're already on a 037 US ticket. Your fare went from you to US. [That said, US will pay UA after the fact if you actually take a UA flight. If you don't, no harm, no foul.]

So if you had not checked in (i.e., not gotten your boarding pass) from UA first, a US ticket counter agent would have been able to print you an e-ticket boarding pass for the MSP-PHL nonstop. Since you did check in, UA had to un-check you in before US could help you.

Sheesh, why do I know this crap??
David
Thanks for the explanation. I think that makes sense. Of course, the one snag I see is going to the US ticket counter instead of checking in with UA. Since it was a standby situation, what if they couldn't confirm me on the flight? I wouldn't be able to get through TSA without a boarding pass, and I wouldn't have a boarding pass if I didn't check in with UA - kind of a catch 22 right?
Old Sep 28, 2005, 4:14 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
I'm not 100% sure it was on US, but I know I've passed security with a standby ("boarding"?!) card.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA
Yes, you can of course pass security with a standby boarding pass. I've even been SSSS on a Departure Management Record card
Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:33 am
m44

Programs: USAir
Holding UA tix on US metal - can US check me in if they wanted?

I know all station people at US. Tix from UA are 50% cheaper to to fly on US metal.
Can US people check me in and upgrade (I am CP) if they wanted?
Can this be accomplished?

In alternative do I checkin at UA and than ask my US friends to push me up front based on my CP status?

What if I have no friends at US - what do i deserve as CP on US metal with UA tix?
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:14 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by m44
I know all station people at US. Tix from UA are 50% cheaper to to fly on US metal.
Can US people check me in and upgrade (I am CP) if they wanted?
Can this be accomplished?

In alternative do I checkin at UA and than ask my US friends to push me up front based on my CP status?

What if I have no friends at US - what do i deserve as CP on US metal with UA tix?
I travel frequently and it has never been a problem. I think the official policy is that you can be upgraded only at the gate, but most of the times they clear at the 7 days window! Be sure your DM number is in there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.