Envoy Degradation?

Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by lt1GM
Saying it over and over still doesn't make it so. I challenge you to name a Premium Economy service that has Envoy class standards. And by that I mean the meal and drinks, not the quality of service provided by the cabin crew.

I totally agree here that Envoy crews can be abysmal, especially since the international bidding has been opened to any FA.

P.S.: I have recently strayed far from US and flew SQ and PrivatAir for LH transatlantic in C. It makes me want to NEVER go back to Envoy class. It's still better than coach, though.

You challenge me? Very well, you asked for it. Garuda's Premium Economy passengers get better meals than Envoy Class passengers and even international low-cost airlines such as Condor feature 5-course meals in its Premium Class.

By the way, what Envoy Class standards are you referring to? The 3-course meals, pathetic amenity kit, scratched IFE screens, ...

You are staying away from Envoy Class yet you are defending it? I suppose being consistent is not one of your priorities.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by dan1431
As to the silverware, to and from LGW the BAA requires that all flights use plasticware.

However, I heard a rumor that the BAA may have withdrew that rule recently and some airlines are going to move back to metal silverware.

Dan
Huh? I flew BA CW last week, DFW-LGW--full silverware.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fly747first
You challenge me? Very well, you asked for it. Garuda's Premium Economy passengers get better meals than Envoy Class passengers and even international low-cost airlines such as Condor feature 5-course meals in its Premium Class.

By the way, what Envoy Class standards are you referring to? The 3-course meals, pathetic amenity kit, scratched IFE screens, ...

You are staying away from Envoy Class yet you are defending it? I suppose being consistent is not one of your priorities.
Dude, you may want to lighten up a bit. It's not as if I slapped you accross the face with my glove, alright? I have to admit I've never been on Garuda, so I will have to take your word for it. As for Condor, their Comfort Class is not Premium Economy at all. It's more of a vacationer version of Business Class, so I don't think it serves you very well with your ever recurring Premium Economy theory.

You mention amenity kits, would you believe US' "pathetic" offering beats SQ's Raffles "amenity kit" hands down?

As for being consistent, you may want to try to look at things in more than one dimension.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Dude, you may want to lighten up a bit. It's not as if I slapped you accross the face with my glove, alright? I have to admit I've never been on Garuda, so I will have to take your word for it. As for Condor, their Comfort Class is not Premium Economy at all. It's more of a vacationer version of Business Class, so I don't think it serves you very well with your ever recurring Premium Economy theory.

You mention amenity kits, would you believe US' "pathetic" offering beats SQ's Raffles "amenity kit" hands down?

As for being consistent, you may want to try to look at things in more than one dimension.
Right... unfortunately you lose again, SQ has an award-winning Raffles Class, and while the amenity kit for this class of service on SQ might be very poor, everything else is excellent. Even SQ cabin crews are way friendlier and more professional than US cabin crews.

Does US Airways Envoy Class have any excellent aspect? Certainly not when compared to SQ Raffles Class.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EP; UA 2P; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
I did PHL-LGW on the 8th and LGW-PHL on the 12th. Both flights had what I believe were trained staff. Meals were efficient, requests were honored quickly and all seemed o be with very little fuss.

Plastic both ways but that has been covered here.

I'll admit I was surprised at the pizza. That wouldn't be my first choice if I was teh caterer. I believe everyone has a favorite pizza shop and no matter what this one tastes like, it will not match up. Tough hill to climb if you ask me.

Our outbound had a 2 hour maintenance delay. Hey, I'm happy the problem was discovered on the ground. Only disappointment was we arrived at LGW at 10:30 AM and they closed the Fast Track customs at 10:00.

Otherwise a good pair of flights
Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Saying it over and over still doesn't make it so. I challenge you to name a Premium Economy service that has Envoy class standards. And by that I mean the meal and drinks, not the quality of service provided by the cabin crew.

I totally agree here that Envoy crews can be abysmal, especially since the international bidding has been opened to any FA.

P.S.: I have recently strayed far from US and flew SQ and PrivatAir for LH transatlantic in C. It makes me want to NEVER go back to Envoy class. It's still better than coach, though.
No doubt in my mind that TG's permium Economy service on the 17 hour flight from JFK to BKK beats US's Envoy service hands down. The IFE is good, the meals are outstanding, the drinks are great and IMO the seats are not Envoy put pretty damn good for PE and the service well I dont even want to go there as there is not a strong enough adjective to say how much better TG's P.E. service is compared to US. I think US Envoy would be equivelent to EVA's permium Economy service.
Just my opinion
-UFFA
Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UnitedFFinAsia
...IMO the seats are not Envoy...
And IMO, the reason you pay for the upgrade is the seats. Despite my nitpickings in this thread, since I'm going to sleep most of the time anyway, all the rest is simply marginally interesting trimmings.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by monitor
And IMO, the reason you pay for the upgrade is the seats. Despite my nitpickings in this thread, since I'm going to sleep most of the time anyway, all the rest is simply marginally interesting trimmings.
Right, but the issue is how it compares to other airlines. In my experience UA business class is now noticeably better than Envoy and easier to upgrade to.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
...we will see if the 330 service improves on the way home FRA-CLT next week...
The difference between the PHL-CDG flight that I mentioned at milepost #10 above on this thread and the FRA-CLT flight coming home was so dramatic that it is truly sad that the product has so deteriorated on some flights.
I will state that when it is properly presented, the Envoy service is superior to any comparable such now being offered by any US airline that flies international two class. We will test this later in a few months when we get our first trip on the new CO 777 seats (US can't get us to TLV).
This time we had seats 1AB and everything worked properly, all the seat motors, reading lights, the AVOD, and a crew that clearly had done this before and knew what they were supposed to be doing.
It was the same sort of food, not inspiring but carefully prepared and tasty, altho the same nondescript wines were presented. But the sheer competence of each FA and the care that each took to try to make this a special flight overcame any shortcomings in the dinner and the snack with the pizza that tasted like the cardboard container it came in.
I guess we'll keep trying this service, even when row 1 is not available (the other seats were pretty good also), but will not be happy if things that go wrong simply never get repaired. I think that in order to help bring the management's attention to the first flight, maybe I should ask for a refund (or some bonus miles) and see what they say. Any opinions, or should we just wait for Arizona to take over?

Last edited by monitor; Sep 23, 2005 at 6:13 am Reason: To request that someone who knows directs me to the party at US who figures to be responsive and interested in the sort of stuff I set forth in milepost #10 of this thread (if there is such a person).
Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:50 am

Just thought I'd add a little side note to this post. Since I transferred back to PHL I've only flown transatlantic (no domestic), and can honestly say that I haven't seen many new faces on it even after they opened it up to the entire base to fly. For the most part the people flying it now are the same ones that have flown it for the last few years.
Monitor, I'm sorry you had so many problems on your first flight. Was there another seat in Envoy that they could have moved you all to or was the flight full? I think that would have been my first choice considering several things at your seat weren't working. It's pretty rare to go out with a seat or light not working, the log book is updated every flight and I've seen mechanics on the airplanes several times fixing the problems you've described before the flight goes. The video system is handled by Rockwell employees and if it had been written up for a long time then they were probably waiting for parts to fix it. Glad to hear that the flight back was better!
All of the seasonal flights will disappear in another month or so, and I'm afraid I won't be able to hold too much across the pond flying. <sigh> Typically, LGW flights go pretty junior, so I was quite surprised when I flew it a couple of weeks ago that I was the junior person on it. There were several f/a's on that trip with 30+ years. I also heard that a lot of the senior f/a's that had put in their retirement papers have retracted them...I'll be slinging pretzels when I'm 75 and will probably still be junior!! LOL
Old Jan 25, 2006, 5:09 pm

However, the broken lights and footrest turned out to be just a foreshadowing of things to come. When I opened the personal TV, I noticed that I had hit the jackpot and gotten the screen with the scratchings in it that had been mentioned in another post at least two or three weeks ago. Now this damn thing did not work at all. No IFE for an entire flight in seat 1H I had given up by then and did not ask the FA who tried to get it to work whether this too had been "written up" months ago with no apparent repair attempt having been made.
After reading this, I am now really ticked off. This was written in Sept. nd the seat is still not fixed. My wife got it yeasterday. The seat does not work at all. There is an orange sticker on the armreast that says "INOP Device #11550000" . The sticker is so old it is dirty and pealing off. I saw the monitor and boy was it scratched. I can't believe they haven't done anything with this seat.

The FA tried to manaully recline the seat but the foot rest would still not come up. Luckily there were 2 other seats open and we moved. Row 2 (in the middle) is nice, but nothing like row 1.

Last edited by mileshound; Jan 26, 2006 at 5:24 am
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mileshound
After reading this, I am now really ticked off. This was written in Sept. nd the seat is still not fixed. My wife got it yeasterday. The seat does not work at all. There is an orange sticker on the armreast that says "INOP Contol #11550000" . The sticker is so old it is dirty and pealing off. I saw the monitor and boy was it scratched. I can't believe they haven't done anything with this seat.

The FA tried to manaully recline the seat but the foot rest would still not come up. Luckily there were 2 other seats open and we moved. Row 2 (in the middle) is nice, but nothing like row 1.
Call consumer affairs and tell them about the thread.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by sts603
Call consumer affairs and tell them about the thread.
I am drafting a letter this weekend and will CC DP. To not fix a seat, and a premium seat, for months is unacceptable.

It also was very disruptive and embarrising for 2 people to move seats while they are setting up for meal service.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:22 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
After reading this, I am now really ticked off. This was written in Sept. nd the seat is still not fixed. My wife got it yeasterday. The seat does not work at all. There is an orange sticker on the armreast that says "INOP Device #11550000" . The sticker is so old it is dirty and pealing off. I saw the monitor and boy was it scratched. I can't believe they haven't done anything with this seat.

Although I think that Envoy is a good premium product (especially coming from US), this is unacceptable that months later they haven't fixed something like this. Obviously it's a problem that's going to come up on EVERY flight since people are obviously going to want to sleep in their sleeper seat (fancy that) on overnight flights to Europe.

Also, (outside of Row 6), Row 2 is the WORST row in Envoy on the A330. I got stuck in Row 2 a few months ago and it was terribly uncomfortable as I was unable to fully stretch my legs and the footrest bumps into the bulkhead wall making it even more cramped. Although only one row back, it's miles from Row 1.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:48 am

Was this on flight 27 CDG-PHL yesterday? I know who was working on that flight and can easily find out if it was a recent logbook writeup. I don't know when the sticker was put on there, but I very seriously doubt that it is the sticker from September. While I understand completely that you are upset about having a broken seat, I'm sure that the same seat hasn't been broken this entire time. I've worked Envoy several times over the last couple of months and can't remember a consistent problem with any one seat. We do get one here and there with issues, and it's usually not assigned if it's broken. If we find a problem with it before the flight leaves PHL we have a mechanic come up and either fix it or move the people while the airplane is still on the ground. I tried looking up the tail numbers of the airplane(s) involved; yesterday's flights are easy to look up, but September is a bit of a challenge because our computer access only goes back so far.
I'm very sorry that you were so inconvenienced and unhappy with the flight, and I hope that Consumer Affairs can make it up to you in some way. Take care mileshound, and fly safe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.