$25 standby fee when 60+ seats empty????

Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:55 am

Programs: US Silver
Originally Posted by L1011...N/StoHNL!
And here's the real catch. If your agent screws up like mine did, and doesn't charge you the fee, but lets you on, your return ticket will be cancelled since, naturally, you weren't on your original outbound. Loved that. A lot.
While I don't doubt that happened to you, I had an agent change my ticket without charging the $25 fee w/o any problems last year. Sounds like you were just unlucky.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Then again... I flew the brown buses about 10 years ago from MDW-MCI. I did a standby on a flight departing about 90 minutes earlier than my scheduled departure. I paid the difference (almost the price of the one-way fare I had paid), the flight became delayed, and the original flight ended up leaving before the flight I switched to.
Ten years ago WN allowed same day standby for no charge. It has only been in the last few years that WN has changed their standby policy to require the upgrade to full fare unless your original flight is delayed, in which case, the collection is usually waived.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:52 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by cAAl
Ten years ago WN allowed same day standby for no charge. It has only been in the last few years that WN has changed their standby policy to require the upgrade to full fare unless your original flight is delayed, in which case, the collection is usually waived.
I just remember I had to pay the difference between what I paid and the one-way fare, which was like $75. Ended up being not worth it.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA PLT
When GoFares were initially rolled out, they had free same-day changes. It was a really nice benefit. As far as I can tell, GoFares are only on a few flights a day now, or in extremely limited seating, and have lost that nice side benefit of being able to leave earlier or later as plans change without penalty. I took advantage of it half a dozen times in a very short period of time.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:36 pm

Programs: OnePass, GoldPoints Elite, ErrorPlan, Star Gold, United Premier Exec, Starwood Gold
Standby

Agents are under more pressure to increase revenue and the standby fee is just one of them. The idea is that if you wanted the earlier flight, you would have purchased it to begin with and sometimes the fare bucket isn't available so the company sees it as a way to recoup some revenue.

If the flight is wide open and orig. ticketed fare bucket, agents will charge the $25 fee and just confirm you.

If its close, meaning under 15% of seats available, you'll find yourself on the PALL list.

The only pax that don't get charged standby fees are those on mileage tickets (X class)
Old Jun 29, 2005, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by BrokesiliaFlyer
Agents are under more pressure to increase revenue and the standby fee is just one of them. The idea is that if you wanted the earlier flight, you would have purchased it to begin with and sometimes the fare bucket isn't available so the company sees it as a way to recoup some revenue.

If the flight is wide open and orig. ticketed fare bucket, agents will charge the $25 fee and just confirm you.

If its close, meaning under 15% of seats available, you'll find yourself on the PALL list.

The only pax that don't get charged standby fees are those on mileage tickets (X class)
Also, if your inbound connecting flight arrives early and you get to an earlier outbound connection, I've never been charged (happens quite a bit). I would imagine the circumstance would be the same if you arrive on time but the earlier outbound is delayed allowing you to get to it.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tan70ri
I was on a UA ticket $530 and the flight I was scheduled on was a US Air codeshare. Should I not have been charged the fee?
It doesn't matter which airline issued the ticket. What matters is which airline issued the fare. If you was booked with a US flight number, standby fee applies. If the flight was booked was a UA flight number (US operated), standby fee does not apply.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:27 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Plus this is now an added "benefit" to both sides of US Airways.. someone probably looked at the books, the revenue from this fee, and said "Wow, keep this."

Who would have known
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:37 pm

My wife and I flew from BOS to PHL. Arrived early and asked to go on the flight leaving 1hr earlier. Charged us $25 per person to do so. Seemed worth it.

The only problem is that our bag didn't make the earlier flight. We waited at the PHL baggage area, figuring they would be on the next one. Not on that one either.

So not only did we lose the hour -- for which we had paid $50 -- we had to go overnight without our bag!

Needless to say the standby charge seemed like quite a slap in the face.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:41 pm

Programs: us airways sp, delta, amtrak
The tactic that has worked for me is just continue asking everyone you see, ticket counter agents, ga's customer service desk (if there is actually someone there), and eventually someone will probably put you on the earlier flight for free, though not always. I would say I'm about 4 for 5 on PHL -BOS and 1 for 2 on the shuttle.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:58 pm

Question Don't sweat the small stuff

Sounds reseasonable to me you wanted the convenience of an earlier flight and you got it for a reasonable charge.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:52 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
The fee isn't so bad as long as they'll confirm you on an earlier flight (which they usually will in the case of very empty flights)--AA recently started an option to standby for free or to confirm day-of changes for $25, and I'm sure their ticket agents are instructed to "forget" to mention the free option to unsuspecting travelers. I don't recall if any other airlines have followed AA's lead (or, arguably, US's lead) on this.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:00 am

Question

Has anyone, yet, heard/experienced anything when trying to stand-by for a LATER flight than originally scheduled?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.