US Airways Lowest Price Guarantee

Old Jun 16, 2005, 9:49 am

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
I need to go from ALB to SAT in September. I would like to buy on the USAirways site. The exact same itineary is over $100 cheaper on Orbitz, and as these are codeshare United flights it is another price but also cheaper on UA. All on the exact same plane and bought today....this is what's so frustrating
Old Jun 19, 2005, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Shopfranceinc
One thing that may be helpful to you if you are shopping around for fares. I have SideStep installed on my computer. Everytime I search the US website, Sidestep searches all kinds of booking engines and gives me the US Airways fares. Quite often they are cheaper! When you select the US fare from SideStep it redirects you to whichever engine is offering the fare. I think this might be especially helpful after this guarantee kicks in!

Try kayak.com instead of Sidestep, too. Apparently, Kayak is using a low price search engine which displays airline flights lower than what the airlines can offer due to how the segments are pieced and priced together. [SideSteps' new web version is rather snappy, though.]
Old Jun 19, 2005, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by hscottm
I dont get the "no upgrades" rule. Something is odd about this - maybe on July 15, we'll find out what.

15 July is when we will be booking on the America West website : )
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:22 pm

I booked a ticket today. Had found the same fare on travelocity for $25 per ticket cheaper. I emailed usair the "screenshots" they asked for. They told me they could not confirm the availability!! They did get back to me in one hour. They also said I had to do everything the same day which I had done!
I emailed them back that I had found them the same day and reported it the same day. I asked them to please match or cancel my ticket so I could book thru Travelocity. They emailed me instructions on how to cancel!
I don't think this policy is worth much at all.
Pam
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:42 pm

Well, this is strange. The first respondent to my claim basically told me to cancel and book at Travelocity. The same day I then went to Travelocity and the flights were still available. However, there were only 2 seats available. By the time I booked they were not available. So I then went back to USAir and told them I wasn't going to cancel, but I wasn't happy.
Another respondent then told me okay, that was fine, and that YES they would give me the difference as a credit to my credit card and send me two vouchers. So wierd. I guess it all depends who reads your claim/email.
Pam
Old Sep 9, 2005, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Buying a multi-city ticket to the Caribbean, I found a US fare on Orbitz that was $24 cheaper than on USAirways.com. Knowing that most airlines now have a website fare guarantee, I looked for USAirways'. Sure enough, they have one, so I bought my ticket on USAirways.com and then went to fill out the form.

I kind of wish I hadn't bothered, since the USAirways form is kind of a pain in the butt. It was a learning experience though -- I've never taken electronic webpage snapshots before! A few hours later, I got a message saying US would review my claim and get back to me in a couple of days. Of course, that's AFTER the 24 hour cancellation rule for tickets bought on USAirways.com.

Hopefully, it will work out and I'll get my modest refund and $50 voucher, but I don't think I'd take the chance if the fare differential was more significant. I'd just buy the cheaper fare elsewhere.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:02 pm

Anyone know if the guarantee is affected by the merger? I'm finding fares on Orbitz for RDU-LGW in November and December that are significantly cheaper than on usairways.com for the same flights.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.