Europe Overbooked experiences?

Old May 26, 2005, 9:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Europe Overbooked experiences?

My late June PHL-LGW is looking pretty full...actually more in Coach than Envoy at the moment which at least gives me some hope for the SA upgrade. But I'm not in the biggest hurry so if the flight ends up being overbooked I was wondering what people's experiences are....do they only offer the US N/S the next day or have people been routed through other European cities leaving the same night?
Old May 26, 2005, 12:20 pm
TP

Programs: US PP;CO Plat
Originally Posted by sts603
My late June PHL-LGW is looking pretty full...actually more in Coach than Envoy at the moment which at least gives me some hope for the SA upgrade. But I'm not in the biggest hurry so if the flight ends up being overbooked I was wondering what people's experiences are....do they only offer the US N/S the next day or have people been routed through other European cities leaving the same night?
Flying LGA-PHL-FCO-CTA I have been routed twice through other european cities (LGW and MUC). I actually arrived earlied than scheduled.

Try to be prepared in advance and suggest an alternate routing if you don't like what they offer.
Old May 26, 2005, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I got bumped last year voluntarily from PHL-MAD, ended up flying PHL-CDG-MAD, got in 2 hours later, and a $600 voucher richer.
Old May 26, 2005, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by catwood
I got bumped last year voluntarily from PHL-MAD, ended up flying PHL-CDG-MAD, got in 2 hours later, and a $600 voucher richer.

PHL-AMS in late March they offered Envoy for the same flight the following day, plus $400 (probably a voucher?)
Old May 26, 2005, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
FCO-PHL this spring was Envoy the following day, $600 cash, and hotel and meal vouchers.
Old May 26, 2005, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
FCO-PHL this spring was Envoy the following day, $600 cash, and hotel and meal vouchers.

Maybe that was the "Pope Funeral Special" and they gave cash instead of vouchers??
Old May 27, 2005, 10:32 am

Last year my PHL-MUC was overbooked by 11. (I called the day before and found out they were overbooked.) Knowing this, I got to PHL early enough for the early bank of transatlantics and asked to play "Let's Make a Deal." I asked to be put on one of the earlier transatlantics either FRA or CDG. CDG was leaving in 30 minutes. Agent checked with the supervisor, processed my upgrade and gave me the check for $600! And I got to MUC earlier than originally scheduled. Now before I fly transatlantic, I always check the loads. Haven't been able to repeat, but I'm always looking.
Old May 27, 2005, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by DaveM
Now before I fly transatlantic, I always check the loads. Haven't been able to repeat, but I'm always looking.

How do you "check the loads"?
Old May 27, 2005, 11:56 am
TP

Programs: US PP;CO Plat
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
How do you "check the loads"?
http://www.airtravel.tk
Old May 27, 2005, 8:30 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Runs the gamut. I've had them offer up silly compensation to take the bump to bussing me over to LHR to grab the BA flight to PHL to pushing me forward.

The "pushing forward" happened more often than not when I was using US to cross the pond. This usually would take place out of LGW.
Old May 28, 2005, 5:34 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by TP

Try to be prepared in advance and suggest an alternate routing if you don't like what they offer.
This might be the most valuable advice (since that's what was asked). Look on some of the orbitz/etc websites before you go and find the routings that are closest to what you originally planned. Jot them down and "request" them as the agent starts looking. If they're on US, you're basically gonna get them. If they're on LH, AF, etc they'll consider those second (obviously still helps your US status - AND you might be able to double dip with US and LH mileage deposits into your US account).

Obviously you're stuck in a way by having to go to your original departure airport (PHL) and that limits your options but there is lots of service from there.

The other good advice is to use the load-factor website above, and also something like http://flyaow.com/classavailability.htm to keep an eye on Envoy loads. The holy grail is the combination $600 voucher (cash) / upgrade and this other tool will help you find flights that have upgrade availability still. Note though that this will change alot in the last few days before the flight AND the list will start getting cleared the day of the flight so even a flight showing 20 seats in C the night before might be down to 2 or 3 by the time you check in (but you should still aim for that flight rather than one showing 5 or 6 open in C the night before because there are probably roughly the same number of FFs on board jockeying for upgrades in the summer and the one with 20 will likely still have some left - 5 or 6 probably not).

Hope all this helps - you got great advice. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.