PSA's Base and Some Questions

Old May 24, 2005, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

PSA's Base and Some Questions

Is PSA's base DAY? I was wondering if that base has anything to do with DAY still having 4 flights a day to PIT on CRJ's/ERJ's. There is also LGA,DCA,CLT, and PHL flights. I looked at CMH and they only had props to PIT. CVG doesn't have any PIT flights. Can I expect the DAY-PIT flights to be on the chopping block?
Old May 24, 2005, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by UAL123
Is PSA's base DAY? I was wondering if that base has anything to do with DAY still having 4 flights a day to PIT on CRJ's/ERJ's. There is also LGA,DCA,CLT, and PHL flights. I looked at CMH and they only had props to PIT. CVG doesn't have any PIT flights. Can I expect the DAY-PIT flights to be on the chopping block?
PSA's headquarters are indeed in Dayton. Maintenance bases are at DAY and CAK, and they have a line maintenance station at PIT. (They still have the prominent hangar closest to the CAK terminal with an old "USAir Express" sign by the roadway and a stencil-painted "PSA Parking Only" sign underneath.)

There are no scheduled CAK-PIT flights anymore, so who knows.....DAY-PIT might go too sometime; it didn't seem to matter that both CAK and PIT are PSA maintenance bases when flights to PIT were chopped. It probably did save USX service to CAK that we have the maintenance base here though! Before last November, we had 1 flight a day to CLT and the rest of the flying was to PIT. Now it's a balanced menu of PHL and CLT; I believe that CAK was one of the few cities not to already PHL service that gained it when PIT service was being cut back.

Believe it or not, PSA has its own web site, which seems a little out-of-date, but the latest thing on there does have a 2005 date. And the PSA logo is still basically the same as the old PSA, just without the smile.....

PSAairlines.com
Old May 31, 2005, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. ^
Old May 31, 2005, 6:47 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Yes, but isn't the primary F/A base for PSA these days in CLT? I certainly know that one of them is since my last PSA flight last week the crew announced that they were all CLT based... and there was no mistaking their NC accents on our flight to Maine
Old May 31, 2005, 8:50 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Yes. The crew base does not have to be the same as the company headquarters, and in fact cannot be for airlines that have more than one crew base.

I recently found out that PSA legally changed their name from Pacific Southwest Airlines to PSA. The flight attendant told me that was a trick question in the interview ("What does PSA stand for?") Answer: it doesn't stand for anything.

PSA is the name of a test for prostrate cancer. Since they don't like the old PSA smiley face anymore, maybe they should paint prostates (whatever those look like) on the front of the CRJ's -- give us a sick laugh on the way into our microscopic (but leather!) seats with microscopic windows.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:30 pm

Programs: CO 1k. Still proudly carry PSA Executive Flyer smile not the fake USAir "grin!"
Psa!?!

In many hearts, PSA is STILL and always will be based in San Diego. I still carry my Pacific Southwest Airlines "Executive Flyer" card and my briefcase bears a PSA bag tag. PSA - or back in the day Poor Sailor's Airline - was THE best. From its first SAN - OAK flights in the late 40's thru the heartbreaking crash in SAN of flight 182 in 1978 (I was one of the poor sailors there helping with cleanup) until it was bought out by US Air in 1987, PSA was a reliable, truly friendly airline without equal in terms of customer service. After it was bought out in '87 by US Air, they promised to "keep the smile" - a "keep" that lasted I think about 6-8 months - but they couldn't keep the attitude of the real PSA and its employees. It's sad to see the distinctive PSA lettering in front of "US Airways Express" and that listing a Ohio base. That's just NOT the real PSA.

Once I had the pleasure of sitting next to Gordon Bethune, late of Continental, on a flight and he noticed the tag and that I'm a plat flyer on CO, noted the apparent loyalty and asked if I still flew US Air. I explained I did when I had to because of connections but that customer service was far more important and that was something US Air didn't buy.

The real PSA will always be based in SAN.

Last edited by rustyhaight; Apr 25, 2007 at 5:18 pm Reason: misspelled words
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:45 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I'll never forget the "real" PSA...it is a tragedy that US killed them instead of being reborn. WN is just a pale imitation of the original. I wish we all could still "Catch our smile."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.