Wiki Posts
Search

PHL: Plane early, gate late

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2005, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, US Air Silver
PHL: Plane early, gate late

OK, another PHL moment precipitated by US Air's odd pricing structure. My home airport is PHL and I always fly out of there, but after pricing flights from PHL to Columbus, OH, I found they were $700 more than flying out of Allentown/Lehigh Valley and then connecting via PHL and getting on the same flight. Go figure, right? So what did I do? The cheaper thing that put me on the plane longer but dropped the roundtrip price down from ~$1,100 to ~$400. Flight from LVI went well with a very cheerful crew (Chatauqua airlines operating US Air Express). However, we got to PHL and there wasn't a gate available! Go figure, right? I've run into this 1 out of every 3 times I come home to PHL and now I know why I warn people about connecting through PHL. Long story summed up: we got there 10 minutes early and finally got off 30 minutes late. Go PHL! Get that runway extended, PLEASE! I'm about to move so I can fly out of an easier to use airport!
Old May 2, 2005, 5:13 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Unless there's a GoFare its typically cheaper to fly out of a satellite airport than fly out of PHL. I was doing the reverse, flying in from ROC, and it was 95% of the time cheaper to fly into MDT, RDG, or ABE rather than PHL.

Gotta love pricing
Old May 2, 2005, 6:20 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
It's more a case of there being too many Express flights and they are flat out of gates. Charlotte is running into the same problem. They may have to resort to moving some of the Express operation to a mainline concourse, but then, we'll have people complaining about that (when a gate change means riding the bus from F back over to C or whatnot).
Old May 2, 2005, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
ski2dude: check out BWI as well as ABE. With SW there, tickets are often 100s of dollars less, although it pains me to fly right back into PHL. Sometimes I'll route through PIT, which feels slightly less stupid.
Old May 2, 2005, 7:47 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Welcome to PHL. You get the same thing in LGA with the express flights--10 minutes early, 25 minutes late by the time you are off the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.