Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Carts in PHL Int'l Arrivals now cost $3

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2005, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Gold, UA Silver
Baggage Carts in PHL Int'l Arrivals now cost $3

I just got back from my first international flight through PHL since last July, and was surprised to see that they are now charging $3 for the (previously free) "Smarte Carte" baggage trolleys. When did this start? Pretty much every other international airport I've been to provides free baggage carts for international arrivals. This really bugs me, as the last thing I feel like doing after 8+ hours on an international flight is digging around trying to find US $$ to get a baggage cart. I think this leaves a really bad impression on first-time international visitors to PHL. I won't even begin to mention the dismal signing and traffic flow evident in the new PHL international terminal. I fly in and out of the PHL international terminal 3-6 times per year, and still get confused as to how to find my way outside to the pick up area!

BrianW
Old May 2, 2005, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
It was darn close to a year ago they started

Don't flame me I have a bad memory-- I thought they were already charging in July.

Certainly by September--

It's a horrible thing to do as people enter the country, my opinion. There is always confusion in the "exit to Philadelphia" and "baggage re-check" where someone yells in english what to do to confused arrivals.

It seems like there are always a few poor souls who exited accidentally who have to make the walk of shame outside to their connecting terminals. Naturally they speak marginal english and can't ask for help.

They probably also didn't have any US Currency and were afraid of the card machines and thus are dragging their bags instead of carting them. I guess to them $3 would be worth it.

Anyway, rant complete.
God bless PHL

Cheers!
Old May 2, 2005, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm not sure when they started charging @ Terminal A, but I know it is just another irritating thing about PHL. If only those carts could hold a decent amount of luggage, but they're so small and dingy - a real pain.

If you want real luggage carts, go to FRA. Now THAT's a cart worth $3. But guess what? They're FREE EVERYWHERE in FRA.
Old May 2, 2005, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
International travelers will no doubt be thrilled to help increase revenues for the so-deserving airport operation at PHL...
Old May 2, 2005, 12:58 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Probably one of those tinicum township things...
Old May 2, 2005, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by ytjk
There is always confusion in the "exit to Philadelphia" and "baggage re-check" where someone yells in english what to do to confused arrivals.
Last time I arrived @ A-West, I was tempting to ask one of the yelling employees whether they realized that a good portion of the arriving passengers (a) did not speak English and (b) were just arriving after an 8-10 hour flight?

For such an attractive terminal, it's ashame that it operates so poorly. I really think the City needs to take a greater interest in the way intial arrivals are treated there.
Old May 2, 2005, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Gold, UA Silver
Actually, I just got back from FRA. Maybe it's the jet lag, but I thought they had the same carts as PHL (at least in FRA Terminal 1)?

As an aside, my FRA-PHL flight was packed, with only 1-2 seats open in coach.

I do know that they weren't charging as of the end of July 2004, as I was coming back from a trip to see the Tour de France and had my bike and a number of other bags and needed two carts, and I'm sure I didn't pay for them.
Old May 2, 2005, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold
Smile

I flew to ROM in March , they charged for carts there and when I got back, PHL was charging too.

So since March they have been charging.
Old May 2, 2005, 7:47 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum, One World Emerald, IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by olde hornet
I flew to ROM in March , they charged for carts there and when I got back, PHL was charging too.

So since March they have been charging.
I believe the switchover happened last September or October. I KNOW it was October---that's when I was so rudely surprised. The only saving grace is they take VISA at the cart machine. I don't think there's an opportunity to change currency to US dollars before baggage pickup either. You pretty much get off the plane, go through passport control and then to the baggage belts. It really is a shame..especially for our foreign visitors who may not have US dollars with them. I think the first currency exchange opportunity is AFTER you clear US Customs and before you recheck your luggage. (for connections) It's just cheap. If anyone in an airport anywhere needed a luggage cart, it's a connecting international passenger.
Old May 2, 2005, 8:22 pm

Maybe people can voice their diispleasure in this survey:

http://www.phl.org/survey.html
Old May 2, 2005, 8:26 pm

Maybe this is how they're going to pay for that runway expansion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.