Response from Consumer Affairs..

Old May 2, 2005, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Response from Consumer Affairs..

I got an email back from US Airways about my complaint (malfunctioning headphones port and tray table which dangled). I got a standard form response.. but they said:

In appreciation of your loyalty, and as a gesture of concern for the inconvenience you experienced, I am sending a goodwill gesture under separate cover. You will receive this via U.S. mail service in the next 6-10 days.

Any idea what this is?
Old May 2, 2005, 9:37 am

Programs: US lowlife
A free working tray table?
Old May 2, 2005, 9:45 am
Original Poster

LOL wouldn't that be funny. I was just curious if anyone else ever got a "goodwill gesture" and what to expect.
Old May 2, 2005, 9:54 am
TMK

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Hyatt + Hilton Diamond
Probably a travel voucher --

I had made a complaint a while back about a long delay on an International flight (it wasn't the delay that p'd me off, it was the misinformation, etc.).

They sent me two $150 travel vouchers, after I received a similarly worded email from Consumer Affairs.

TMK
Old May 2, 2005, 9:57 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Lipstick. I hear they have a rather large supply.
Old May 2, 2005, 10:04 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Free headset coupon.
Old May 2, 2005, 10:22 am

Programs: US CP
I got a $200 voucher for myself and my travel companion and the CP's desk upgraded me on all ticketed flights I had out there at that time.
Old May 2, 2005, 10:32 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
A free first class upgrade*

* Lavatory privileges only
Old May 2, 2005, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
My complaint last year got me a $100 travel voucher as a "goodwill gesture". Maybe in about 100 years they'll figure out how to make goodwill gestures "website friendly".
Old May 2, 2005, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Here's the whole email:

Thank you for sending your e-mail about your recent travel with us. I was
disheartened to learn that you were disappointed with your experience, and
inconvenienced in the manner as detailed in your e-mail.

The information you have provided has been thoroughly documented and will be
utilized. We are grateful to you for helping us identify ways in which we can
improve, the outcome of which you will experience the next time you travel
with us.

In appreciation of your loyalty, and as a gesture of concern for the
inconvenience you experienced, I am sending a goodwill gesture under separate
cover. You will receive this via U.S. mail service in the next 6-10 days.

Despite this unpleasant experience, Mr. Bobby, we hope you will continue to
consider US Airways for all of your future travel needs.
Old May 2, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: United Gold
how long?

Originally Posted by BobbyL262
I got an email back from US Airways about my complaint (malfunctioning headphones port and tray table which dangled). I got a standard form response.. but they said:
so how long did you wait for a reply? I have open letters from 11 months ago and 1 month ago. curious if you are in the 11+ month pile..
Old May 2, 2005, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Not at all. I complained last week. The problems occured on my flight home 754 on April 24th
Old May 2, 2005, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
Originally Posted by hscottm
so how long did you wait for a reply? I have open letters from 11 months ago and 1 month ago. curious if you are in the 11+ month pile..
As a former representative in Consumer Affairs, I recommend contacting them back, via e-mail or by phone (I suggest e-mail) and provide them with your name and address. Ask that they check their files and determine what happened to your initial correspondence. If you have copies of the correspondence it's helpful to send it along via mail...that is if you truly want a response to your issues (at this stage of the game). In the years that I was there, there were more than a few responses, especially by US mail, that came back for whatever reason. It was especially a problem when people wrote their correspondence longhand and had crappy penmanship, preventing the administrative team and representative from getting a clear address or other contact info. Good luck.
Old May 2, 2005, 6:50 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Would Be Curious On Amount

There are rampant rumors that C/A has drastically cut the amount of these goodwill gestures. $100 used to be a sort of defacto sstandard benchmark for almost any kind of complaint. However, it may have been cut now to approximately $25. In one interaction with them in the last 2 years, they only provided 1,000 bonus miles even though I was either US1 or US2.

The letter you received was as generic as it could get. E.g. completely did not address your issues. This "letter" could be sent for probably 99.9% of complaints since it does not speak to your specific issues whatsoever.

This type of letter could also be sent by some kind of bot, they would not even representatives. Also the bot could probably figure out compensation based on your status and spend. E.g. some kind of key word scanner software program . Arteficial intelligence could probably be set up to hone in on some of the repated key words in your letter like "tray table," and somehow incorporate "tray table" in the response, to try to trick you into thinking its not a form letter.

Also re your issues in general, not sure if you saw it, but recently on http://www.salon.com the Ask The Pilot column review a "bread and butter" BOS to DCA flight, and gives the airline a D grade on many fascets of service including cabin cleanliness, catering, upkeep, etc. You'll probably like the Ask The Pilot columns, he is good with words.
Old May 2, 2005, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
My complaint last year got me a $100 travel voucher as a "goodwill gesture". Maybe in about 100 years they'll figure out how to make goodwill gestures "website friendly".
Just curious if they have to report goodwill gestures on their financial statements. I got a $200 one but its so hard to use (have to have certain fare and exchange in person at ticket office or airport) its more like a left handed goodwill gesture or maybe one involving a certain finger anyway maybe you'll get something different like a fruit cake from last X-mas

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.