Response from Consumer Affairs..

Old May 2, 2005, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Fruit Cake?! No thanks! Usually on B6 when I had trouble (only once did I ever out of 20 or so flights) they compensated me with a $75 travel voucher (it was a minute problem too).

I've never heard of compensation worded as a "goodwill gesture" but we shall see!

Maybe i'll get an MP3 Player to listen to the music I couldn't list to on the A321. Or maybe I have my hopes set too high.
Old May 2, 2005, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BobbyL262
Or maybe I have my hopes set too high.
yep. too high.

-- he who slacks
Old May 2, 2005, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

LOL I was just joking of course.
Old May 3, 2005, 6:16 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Maybe Consumer Affairs just likes me....

I always get a reply from them within two weeks, often faster. Whenever I fill out those comment cards from Attache magazine, I get back an e-mail or a mailed letter in the same time period. Now, I also write in more compliments than I do complaints.

Last Thursday I received a phone call from Consumer Affairs thanking me for two positive comment cards I mailed in the previous week.

When something goes wrong, US knows I'm not just a troublemaker and usually resolves the issue quickly.
Old May 3, 2005, 6:21 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by JAXPax
When something goes wrong, US knows I'm not just a troublemaker and usually resolves the issue quickly.
Are you suggesting that those who posted here and have not heard back are trouble makers. I know some of these very people and I find it offensive that you would make such a suggestion.
Old May 3, 2005, 6:38 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Are you suggesting that those who posted here and have not heard back are trouble makers. I know some of these very people and I find it offensive that you would make such a suggestion.
No, I'm not making that suggestion at all, and did not mean to imply anybody here is a troublemaker. But thanks for jumping all over me.

What I'm saying is that I've found when I have a real issue, things are handled relatively well. I'm sure some people who continually write in complaints don't enjoy the same quick resolutions.
Old May 3, 2005, 6:53 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
No, I'm not making that suggestion at all, and did not mean to imply anybody here is a troublemaker. But thanks for jumping all over me.

What I'm saying is that I've found when I have a real issue, things are handled relatively well. I'm sure some people who continually write in complaints don't enjoy the same quick resolutions.
Ahhh really. Sure sounds like it to me. In both post
Old May 3, 2005, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Ahhh really. Sure sounds like it to me. In both post
Believe it or not, there are people outside of this message board (and outside of those within who you know personally) who fly on US Airways.

US as well as any other company has habitual complainers as customers. Whether any of them are on this board or not, I don't know (I do know personally that some on the FT AA board fit this category) but such complainers likely receive less satisfying resolutions with such speed as those who provide some level of communication outside of solely problems.

If you want to read into it that I'm stating some people here do nothing but write in complaints, then you are welcome to hold that misconception. If some people here were like that, it really wouldn't surprise me because a few people on this board have absolutely nothing positive to say (like certain members who are continually asked by many why they keep flying US Airways).
Old May 3, 2005, 7:13 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

Can I get an opinion on the following situation? I was completely ignored by Consumer Affairs and was blown off by people at US Airways who I complained to about a situation; perhaps I was perceived as a troublemaker rather than somebody with a legitimate complaint? I don't really care anymore because I am never booking another paid ticket on US ever again, but I'd appreciate some insights. Did I go too far? This is only the second complaint I've ever sent US Airways in seven years of monthly/weekly flying; the first time was six years ago, and all I did was write a letter. I've sent probably 20 compliments to Consumer Affairs in those seven years.

I had one really bad incident with a really nasty and incompetent ticket agent in Charlotte, who just ripped up a copy of the fare rules for my ticket and my boarding pass when I handed them to her to show that what I wanted-- flying standby to a co-terminal-- was allowed.

I emailed the station manager and shift manager in Charlotte twice each and called each one once (including saying, "I'm mad and I'm not going to let this go!", which perhaps was over the line) to ask for an apology from the ticket agent; I didn't ask for any other compensation, although I had to pay a change fee and book an award ticket because of the incident with the ticket agent. Days later I eventually received one email from each and a voicemail from each saying, "sorry, but we've addressed the situation and union rules don't allow us to get an apology for you from the ticket agent; have a great day and see you aboard another flight soon." Their response seemed pretty insincere; I thought that if they cared about keeping a customer happy, they would at least have offered to discuss the situation, and I've seen the nasty ticket agent at the airport repeatedly since I complained; I can't tell that anything was done.

I emailed Consumer Affairs twice and received two form replies stating, "Thank you for contacting Consumer Affairs; we acknowledge your emails and will respond as soon as we can." Six weeks after I emailed, I still haven't received a response other than that.

I then took my Chairman's Preferred card, a check for $X (in the five figures, showing how much revenue per year I provide to US Airways) and my Dividend Miles Visa card, chopped them into bits and sent them to US's CEO, along with a letter stating that I didn't need the cards anymore since I would never book another ticket on US again. Over two weeks later I received a voicemail from US HQ stating, "Sorry; please give us a call and we'd like to discuss this with you." I called back and left a voicemail saying, "All I wanted was an apology but was blown off, so there's nothing I need; I'm not flying US anymore because of what happened."

So was I out of line? I am just astounded at how little US seems to care; I thought that as a CP, I would at least have gotten a little more. Perhaps US HQ would have helped, but it's too late now.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; May 3, 2005 at 7:19 am
Old May 3, 2005, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Can I get an opinion on the following situation?

Thanks for any feedback.
Certainly a legitimate complaint... it was way out of line what that employee did. However, wanting them to have that employee apologize can't happen, and I'm sure union rules are a legitimate excuse. By the same token, a single unsubstantiated complaint from a passenger, whether it be one of US' best customers or not, can't really get somebody fired. It goes that way in most businesses, especially customer service positions, and especially those with a unionized workforce. An otherwise apology from US Airways should have been made, though.

I don't think wanting further communication from US on the matter is unreasonable. I think some of your actions were a little over dramatic, but probably par for the course. Right now there's a lot of dramatic protests going on with US, but hopefully not to the point where they stop taking them seriously. You got as far as HQ; obviously somebody took you seriously. Though with a promise to never fly them again (and the actions taken to demonstrate that commitment), that removes some of their motivation to discuss the situation with you. Not necessarily good business sense (US doesn't have a lot of that), but probably how it works.
Old May 3, 2005, 7:51 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Thanks for the feedback. A US shift manager who oversees the ticket agent can't even suggest to the ticket agent, "Next time NYCommuter comes to the ticket counter, if you would just go up to NYCommuter and say, 'by the way, sorry about that incident', I'll let you have next Friday evening off"?

That's all I wanted. I'm just astonished at how little US did in response to my complaint. If one of my clients complained about me, my career would be completely derailed; if a client sent a chopped-up check to my boss because of me, I'd be fired. I didn't want that, though; that'd be too much.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; May 3, 2005 at 7:59 am
Old May 3, 2005, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Thanks for the feedback. A US shift manager who oversees the ticket agent can't even suggest to the ticket agent, "Next time NYCommuter comes to the ticket counter, just go up to NYCommuter and say, 'by the way, sorry about that incident'"? That's all I wanted. I'm just astonished at how little US did in response to my complaint.
They can't really do that, and I'm sure you'll find most other businesses with customer service personnel like that wouldn't do it either. (I'm sure some people will reply with a listing of places that will, but they are the exception.)

Try following up again with them. Barring the personal apology from the agent, what else would you accept? If you give them a specific request that will console your complaint, and it is reasonable, they'll probably give it to you without any questions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.