Wiki Posts
Search

Altoona (AOO) airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Altoona (AOO) airport

I have a flight out of this tiny regional airport in mid-June and I was wondering if anyone here has ever been there. Is there free parking near the airport? Where is the airport located, near the town or in the middle of nowhere?
Old Apr 30, 2005, 11:10 am

There is free on site parking.

The airport is in Martinsburg, 15 miles or so SE of Altoona. In other words, the middle of nowhere.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
There is free on site parking.

The airport is in Martinsburg, 15 miles or so SE of Altoona. In other words, the middle of nowhere.
Altoona is not the end of the world, but you can see it from there.
Old May 1, 2005, 5:40 pm

Hey, Altoona's a great town. They have the world's oldest operating roller coaster, and a very nice minor league ballpark.

Afraid I know nothing about the airport itself, though.
Old May 1, 2005, 6:08 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by GregLeg
Hey, Altoona's a great town. They have the world's oldest operating roller coaster, and a very nice minor league ballpark.

Afraid I know nothing about the airport itself, though.
And they have a good pretzel factory too.
Old May 1, 2005, 7:04 pm

and the horseshoe curve.
Old May 1, 2005, 9:21 pm

in case...

your like me, and just HAD to know where Altoona was, here's a linkie =)
Altoona
Old May 2, 2005, 9:11 am

Aoo

Used to live there. Was in and out to the left coast many times a month. The parking was free 5 years ago. Then they started to charge. Some 3 or more years ago arrived on the last flight in mid-winter. Nobody was at the little parking gate to pay. The barrier was in the up position. Just drove out. Happened like that another time or two as well. Finally asked and they said when it is late the gate is not manned. Not sure now what the deal is today.

Back then, all they had in and out was the ol'Beech equipment. Don' know what they have now. Also, expect a bumpy flight the Laurel mountains will make sure of that. The approach is very loopy depending on the active runway configurations.

As posted earlier, the airport is in the middle of nowhere and 15 or 20 minutes from the outskirts of Altoona.
Old May 2, 2005, 11:01 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I flew to AOO a few months ago. It's a nice little airport. I don't know if the parking is free because I flew there and rented a car. On the way out of the airport, I turned left when I should have turned right and ended up going even further into the country (not good when the rental is a measly 100 miles a day ).

Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.