excellent experience with 1-800-428-4322

Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
Thumbs up excellent experience with 1-800-428-4322

I just got off the phone with a USAIR representative and had to share the wonderful experience.

I purchased with CC, my wife is spending 20k miles (OffPeak award) to bring our son, and I am spending 20k miles to bring her.

I was on hold for only 4 minutes (the automated voice said I would be picked up in 6)

I booked these tix as three separate transactions and had wildly different seat assignments.

She was able to link the record locators, change the seats, add my cell phone to the record in 4 minutes.

I had also booked the 3yo as an adult since you can not select 0 adults and 1 child when redeeming miles -- which she changed, too.

I was very pleased with her professionalism and expedience.

Last edited by fajimenez; Apr 30, 2005 at 2:16 pm Reason: clarifications
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:21 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Just curious - from where to where are you all travelling, and when you say cash - I assume you meant your ticket was cash(i.e. credit card) and your other tickets were 20K points (not $20,000!). If you were spending $20K on tickets, then you should have been given more courtesy than any of us...

But, I have to say that my recent calls to the main number have been answered quickly. This, despite the employees over on usaviation.com previously saying hold times would average over 30 minutes after all the cuts. And, the people I've talked to have been very professional, so no complaints there. Now if the actual onboard service can get back up to par, I'll actually fly them again....
Old Apr 30, 2005, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by PHL
Just curious - from where to where are you all travelling.
I am flying CLT-SFO returning SFO-CLT-CAE. -- it was only 10-20 dollars extra for me to fly to CAE, saving me the $100 dollars for the rental car (with drop off and miles and gas factored in)!

They are flying CLT-SFO returning SFO-CLT.

These are nonstops on the A321 in late September.

Flying from CAE, the choices are pretty much DL and US for the routes that I have to fly with the occaisional DH thrown in.

I don't fly nearly as much as the rest of you, and I haven't had the pleasure of PHL -- all of my service is a connection at CLT or an origination at CLT... so my experience with US has been very good.
Old May 1, 2005, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by fajimenez
I just got off the phone with a USAIR representative and had to share the wonderful experience.

I purchased with CC, my wife is spending 20k miles (OffPeak award) to bring our son, and I am spending 20k miles to bring her.

I was on hold for only 4 minutes (the automated voice said I would be picked up in 6)

I booked these tix as three separate transactions and had wildly different seat assignments.

She was able to link the record locators, change the seats, add my cell phone to the record in 4 minutes.

I had also booked the 3yo as an adult since you can not select 0 adults and 1 child when redeeming miles -- which she changed, too.

I was very pleased with her professionalism and expedience.

Good for you .
Old May 1, 2005, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Too bad this level of service will go away soon (for non-elites at least) when US outsources its reservations calls.
Old May 1, 2005, 9:57 pm

ooooh no

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Too bad this level of service will go away soon (for non-elites at least) when US outsources its reservations calls.
Once had the pleasure of calling a certain other airline (I was in Atlanta at the time, hint) to change my flight. I gave up after being disconnected the first time and wasting (literally) over 5 minutes trying to get my last name spelled correctly the second time. Called thirty minutes later in exasperation, somehow got an American (or at least American-sounding) lady who took care of me in approximately four minutes, including the time it took to process the credit card.

I believe US has consolidated all their call staff to Winston-Salem? (At least until they get the option to keep moving to some undisclosed location in southern Asia)...I, too, have been really pleased with the service through the 1-800 number that we non-elites are relegated to--
Old May 2, 2005, 6:39 am

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Not to start a flame war, but I really object to this kind of jingoism, and I've heard it several times from several different posters. It sounds like people think non-Americans are inherently incapable of providing professional, high-quality service. That's not the case. They may have a learning curve, but I bet that training will be better, service will be more consistent, hold times will be shorter, and rules will be more consistently enforced -- which benefit all of us.

David
Old May 2, 2005, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IndyDavid
Not to start a flame war, but I really object to this kind of jingoism, and I've heard it several times from several different posters. It sounds like people think non-Americans are inherently incapable of providing professional, high-quality service. That's not the case. They may have a learning curve, but I bet that training will be better, service will be more consistent, hold times will be shorter, and rules will be more consistently enforced -- which benefit all of us.
It's not the fact that the outsourced reservations agents are non-Americans that bothers me; it's the fact that they won't be working directly for US Airways, and likely won't know as much about the airline's policies and rules (at least at first) as US Airways' own employees.

I've had enough bad experiences with outsourced calls to other companies that I doubt anything will be different when US Airways starts outsourcing.
Old May 2, 2005, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IndyDavid
..It sounds like people think non-Americans are inherently incapable of providing professional, high-quality service. That's not the case. They may have a learning curve...
I think that you're overstating your case. I know that wahooflyer hasn't got a jingoistic or discriminatory bone in his body, but I also know that he seldom if ever has the type of itinerary that the outsourced calls can handle.
When you are a non-native dealing in a second language and needing to deal with foreign customs and locations, the learning curve is enormous and everybody over on that board knows that most of the Delta agents in India are of virtually no use at all for anything but the simplest itinerary between major markets.
That may be sufficient to service the once a year traveler from NY to Florida, but any business traveler with a slightly more complicated routing or an FTer doing his or her thing or looking for an award generally finds no help there and must hang up and call back, sometimes repeatedly, hoping to get a US based old timer.
Old May 2, 2005, 6:35 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a completely incompetent outfit Delta went with. That may be the case with the one(s) US has chosen as well, but I still argue it's not related to the nationality of the employees -- just their training & appropriateness for the job. Obviously, an airline job on the telephone in English requires good English skills and extensive airline training.

David

Originally Posted by monitor
I think that you're overstating your case. I know that wahooflyer hasn't got a jingoistic or discriminatory bone in his body, but I also know that he seldom if ever has the type of itinerary that the outsourced calls can handle.
When you are a non-native dealing in a second language and needing to deal with foreign customs and locations, the learning curve is enormous and everybody over on that board knows that most of the Delta agents in India are of virtually no use at all for anything but the simplest itinerary between major markets.
That may be sufficient to service the once a year traveler from NY to Florida, but any business traveler with a slightly more complicated routing or an FTer doing his or her thing or looking for an award generally finds no help there and must hang up and call back, sometimes repeatedly, hoping to get a US based old timer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.