Top 500 Flyer

Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Plat Pro, Hertz President's Club, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Smile Top 500 Flyer

Has anyone else received the Top 500 Flyer package ? Does anyone know what the criteria is for this level (mileage, revenue, segments) ? I'm not sure that I would be in the top 500 in all categories.

It seems like USAirways are making an extra effort to keep their top customers, although I doubt I'll get any special treatment at the gates...
Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:33 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by clt_consultant
Has anyone else received the Top 500 Flyer package ? Does anyone know what the criteria is for this level (mileage, revenue, segments) ? I'm not sure that I would be in the top 500 in all categories.

It seems like USAirways are making an extra effort to keep their top customers, although I doubt I'll get any special treatment at the gates...
What was in the package? I'm sure many of would like to know. I'm guessing a tube of lipstick.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Plat Pro, Hertz President's Club, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
What was in the package? I'm sure many of would like to know. I'm guessing a tube of lipstick.
A small engraved glass globe on a pedestal with "Top 500 Flyer 2004" engraved on it. Something to really make it worth traveling hundreds of hours a year
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I had "Top 500 Flyer" at the top of some of my statments when I spent 3 years doing 225k mile/year, but I never received any type of gift. Probably because they were all $2-350 roach fares.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:31 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by CPRich
Probably because they were all $2-350 roach fares.
Exactly. The Top 500 flyer award is formulated by both seat miles flown *AND* revenue generated for the airline.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I'll bet the BlowFares markets are top-heavy with Top 500 flyers.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 5:14 pm

any idea of what their criteria are?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by bofie
any idea of what their criteria are?
Probably among the top 500 customers in revenue. Just a guess.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
Probably among the top 500 customers in revenue. Just a guess.
It'd be fun to know how many flights/miles etc it takes.
Old May 1, 2005, 2:08 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I Asked About This, And Come On, What Are The Benefits

I checked on this because I flew more than 100 segments last year. The person said they were familiar with the "top 500" designation, but that I did not make it. I tried to ask approximately what it took to make it, and they said there were people who fly 300 segments a year.

I would like to know what type of person/job flys 300 segments a year other than like an f/a, an airline secret shopper, or a FAM. How do you get a job where you fly 300 segs ?
I wonder if it is based on revenue, or miles/segs flown. And I wonder once you reach this, who sees it? E.g. how much digging in your records must the g/a due to see you are a Top 500? I am assuming from posts it does not print on the BP, or show anything but a US1 on other paperwork?

Are there "secret rooms" where Top 500 can go? A secret desk? A secret hand shake? Special benefits? Before 9/11 I read an article where it said really top top flyers had special rooms where they would enter a code and go in to a nondescript door in the airport to check in, etc?
Old May 1, 2005, 3:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Within the state of California, I know several people who fly 300+ segments a year. There is a large population in CA of people who live in the north yet work in the south or vice versa. WN is their third home. I know a guy who flew 310 OAK - LAX/BUR segments on WN last year and is doing the same this year. It's about 3 round-trips per week.

I assume, when it comes to US, that there are similar situations with the state of PA (PIT - PHL), the state of NY (ROC/SYR/BUF - LGA) and probably some people who fly 300+ shuttle segments a year.
Old May 1, 2005, 3:43 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
300+ segments is about 6 segments a week. That can be someone who travels roundtrip and needs to connect both ways, and every other week has to make a second trip.

I remember one month where I had over 30 segments. A lot of PIT-PHL-SWF-RDU-SWF-PHL-PIT. That month sucked.
Old May 1, 2005, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
I average 300 segments a year and will go over that this year at the current rate. They are not all on US. I'm on a 10 segment run this week. I've done as many as 18 in one week.
Old May 2, 2005, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jetsetter
I checked on this because I flew more than 100 segments last year. The person said they were familiar with the "top 500" designation, but that I did not make it. I tried to ask approximately what it took to make it, and they said there were people who fly 300 segments a year.

I would like to know what type of person/job flys 300 segments a year other than like an f/a, an airline secret shopper, or a FAM. How do you get a job where you fly 300 segs ?
I wonder if it is based on revenue, or miles/segs flown. And I wonder once you reach this, who sees it? E.g. how much digging in your records must the g/a due to see you are a Top 500? I am assuming from posts it does not print on the BP, or show anything but a US1 on other paperwork?

Are there "secret rooms" where Top 500 can go? A secret desk? A secret hand shake? Special benefits? Before 9/11 I read an article where it said really top top flyers had special rooms where they would enter a code and go in to a nondescript door in the airport to check in, etc?
As a "top 500 flyer", I can confirm that I have received NO additional benefits, secret handshakes or secret codes to secret rooms!! When I flew on a regular award earlier this year, there were empty first class seats, but the GA refused to upgrade me.

Last year, I only flew 100 segments, but the revenue was probably $50-60k, possibly higher.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.