Merger US/HP/AC

Old May 1, 2005, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA ExecutivePlat; Delta Platinum; Aeroplan Prestige; SPG Platinum
I believe Air Canada would not be involved in any merger situation but rather would fly the International routes for the HP-US merged entity. So, from what I understand, the next time you fly PHL-FRA it will be flown by Air Canada (that is, if the deal goes down).

Air Canada isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be. Having flown with Air Canada for years I can tell you that I have received much better service on them then on US. Aeroplan has also been revamped in the past two years and now allows the members to select from various packages; much more convenient. Air Canada is also planning the IPO for Aeroplan so pretty soon Aeroplan will be a publicly-traded company. I would think that as a publicly traded company it would increase the likelihood of it being used for all three airlines, if some sort of deal were to be created.
Old May 2, 2005, 8:02 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
So far as I know, Air Canada does not enjoy fifth freedom (permission to carry nonstop traffic between 2 countries outside the carrier's home country) rights. If that is the case, traffic would have to be funneled directly to Canadian gateways, hardly competitive, or convenient.
Old May 2, 2005, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by deelmakur
So far as I know, Air Canada does not enjoy fifth freedom (permission to carry nonstop traffic between 2 countries outside the carrier's home country) rights. If that is the case, traffic would have to be funneled directly to Canadian gateways, hardly competitive, or convenient.
they don't have the rights, and they can't just use US's rights either. YYZ and YUL would be expensive and inconvenient gateways for much USA-based traffic. hard to see what AC brings to the table beyond implicit drawing rights on the canadian taxpayer...
Old May 2, 2005, 6:24 pm

As I understand it, the internationak routes are one of the few things US has going for it. Why would they give them away to AC?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.