Dday in June?

Old Mar 29, 05, 12:13 am
pgalore

Dday in June?

I remember reading somewhere that on some date in June a critical decision or judgement is scheduled to be made regarding US' future. Can someone tell me which date that is?

I've been flying on DL for the first half of the year, but their financial situation is fairly precarious right now, and I want to hedge my bets after I make PM status for 2006 in May.

By the way, I think Atlanta is a dirty hole compared to Charlotte. I really liked flying into Charlotte.

And US does some things much better than DL. I loved how I got automated calls on my cell phone anytime there was a flight delay or cancellation.. DL only does that if you request a call everytime a new reservation is made.

But the upgrades are nice, and usually it is easy flying in/out of Atlanta.

From RDU, AA still has alot of direct flights, so I may switch to them with a plat. challenge, and shoot for EXP from June-Dec. At least the coach seats have more room, although I've heard rumors that the removed seats would be coming back in..

I hope US sticks around, but I've heard some stories from fellow travelers that makes me think that it won't happen.

Old Mar 29, 05, 12:27 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Gold (DL steals SWUs!)
Delta is in complete denial about CH11. It is probably the only way they can manage their INCREDIBLE debt load. I predict CH 11 filing for DL sometime mid year, they are burning through huge amounts of cash and have no other way to manage their cash burn. UA and US have managed to reduce/restructure/eliminate lots of debt and reduce costs. If DL stays out of BK for too long it may be too late.

US will be fine for at least the remainder of the year if they get the remaining $100 million financing committment.
Old Mar 29, 05, 7:18 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Originally Posted by pgalore

And US does some things much better than DL. I loved how I got automated calls on my cell phone anytime there was a flight delay or cancellation.. DL only does that if you request a call everytime a new reservation is made.
You get automated calls from US? I have never once received one, and I've been CP for a couple of years and gone through more than one delayed flight situation.
Old Mar 29, 05, 8:57 am
sm2

Programs: US-Chairman's, Hilton-Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, Sofitel
Originally Posted by liveon777
You get automated calls from US? I have never once received one, and I've been CP for a couple of years and gone through more than one delayed flight situation.
CP as well. Have had 3 calls from them for a cancelled flight. Home, mobile, office
Old Mar 29, 05, 9:05 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, SPG Ambassador & Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Prez, AVIS 1st, Amtrak Select
I always get calls. Do you have phone numbers in your profile? I believe you can manage/edit your profile on line when you log into your DM account.
Old Mar 29, 05, 9:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
I always get calls. Do you have phone numbers in your profile? I believe you can manage/edit your profile on line when you log into your DM account.

Good thought. I just checked both of my profiles on usairways.com (the one on the home page, as well as my DM profile) and both list the correct phone numbers. . . strange.
I have received the automated calls from NW in the past regarding upgrades, but never one from US for delays, etc. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 29, 05, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HH Gold MR Gold, Avis CHM
Good thought. I just checked both of my profiles on usairways.com (the one on the home page, as well as my DM profile) and both list the correct phone numbers. . . strange.
I have received the automated calls from NW in the past regarding upgrades, but never one from US for delays, etc. Any suggestions?
Call the CP desk. When I first made CP my parents started getting calls about my flight delays, etc. The CP desk had the number from when I first became a DM member as a minor. Their system doesn't copy direct from DM on the website. Just another US website issue....
Old Mar 29, 05, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I get automated calls to buy UAIRQ stock.

"Would you please buy 10,000 shares?"

"How about 9,000?"

<click>
Old Mar 29, 05, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
I get automated calls to buy UAIRQ stock.

"Would you please buy 10,000 shares?"

"How about 9,000?"

<click>
Reminds me of the old Sally Struthers commercials: "for less than the price of a cup of coffee a day, you can own 9,000 shares of an airline"
Old Mar 29, 05, 6:41 pm

Get the messages frequently as a GP. I regularly have people fly in to see me; when our corporate travel agency books the tickets, they use my profile. The automated US system calls my cell phone to let me know if there are delays or cancellations for those people. Sometimes the automated pronunciation of the name of the traveller is pretty humorous.

It also called me once to tell me that my flight was delayed 1,310 minutes. It seems to have issues if flights are delayed past midnight...the flight was actually delayed 130 minutes (1440-1310=130). Maybe it's related to the website calling midnight 12PM....(on the flight status screen at least).
Old Mar 29, 05, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by pgalore
I remember reading somewhere that on some date in June a critical decision or judgement is scheduled to be made regarding US' future. Can someone tell me which date that is?

I've been flying on DL for the first half of the year, but their financial situation is fairly precarious right now, and I want to hedge my bets after I make PM status for 2006 in May.

By the way, I think Atlanta is a dirty hole compared to Charlotte. I really liked flying into Charlotte.

But the upgrades are nice, and usually it is easy flying in/out of Atlanta.

From RDU, AA still has alot of direct flights, so I may switch to them with a plat. challenge, and shoot for EXP from June-Dec. At least the coach seats have more room, although I've heard rumors that the removed seats would be coming back in..

I hope US sticks around, but I've heard some stories from fellow travelers that makes me think that it won't happen.

Yes, I agree that US does some things much better than DL, and for the most part, most people find the frontline US employees to be much better, too. Servicewise, DL is probably now on par with US for shorthaul flights along the east coast, and F class service is competitive (especially after DL's new changes).

And yes, notice that the "more room" logo suddenly disappeared from AA.com? The seats are slowly creeping back in. Tis a shame.