3 More clubs to close

Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:05 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DCA/LAX/
Programs: Hilton Gold
Posts: 512
Unhappy 3 More clubs to close

As part of our continued effort to control costs, US Airways is closing three US Airways Clubs -- Los Angeles, San Francisco and West Palm Beach -- effective April 2, 2005. The eight full-time and 10 part-time employees in these Clubs have received furlough packages.
****** Additionally, the company will not re-open the Orlando US Airways Club, which has been closed since October 2004 due to hurricane damage. The Orlando Club representatives were furloughed at that time, and have since been notified of the company’s decision not to re-open the Club.
****** US Airways decided to close the Los Angeles and San Francisco Clubs in anticipation of later this year moving its terminals at those airports. There are no plans at this time to operate Clubs at the new terminal locations. Because the US Airways terminals will be closer to United, US Airways Club members who hold a same-day United ticket or boarding pass, and also have paid the appropriate fee, will have access to all United Airlines Red Carpet Clubs.

I am by no means surprised at this decision. As a witness to the damage inside the MCO club, I wasn't expecting them to reopen. I do wish that US would wait on LAX/SFO though.

Last edited by sfeinberg; Mar 22, 2005 at 9:18 pm
sfeinberg is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:10 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Posts: 2,300
Originally Posted by sfeinberg
As part of our continued effort to control costs, US Airways is closing three US Airways Clubs -- Los Angeles, San Francisco and West Palm Beach -- effective April 2, 2005. The eight full-time and 10 part-time employees in these Clubs have received furlough packages.
****** Additionally, the company will not re-open the Orlando US Airways Club, which has been closed since October 2004 due to hurricane damage. The Orlando Club representatives were furloughed at that time, and have since been notified of the company’s decision not to re-open the Club.
****** US Airways decided to close the Los Angeles and San Francisco Clubs in anticipation of later this year moving its terminals at those airports. There are no plans at this time to operate Clubs at the new terminal locations. Because the US Airways terminals will be closer to United, US Airways Club members who hold a same-day United ticket or boarding pass, and also have paid the appropriate fee, will have access to all United Airlines Red Carpet Clubs.


The PBI Club was one of the reasons I got a membership. Are they going to offer a refund to Club members? PBI has tons of people who pay for F on US!!! I haven't upgraded there as a CP because of paid F. These same people have Club memberships - duh. Hello B6 and WN.....Is anyone in CCY paying attention?
dukeman is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:18 pm
  #3  
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 57,975


I guess I will look for other transcon options and keep my US flights restricted to the East Coast. When AA and now maybe DL or UA aren't cheaper.

Bad move, US. Very bad.
Spiff is online now  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:20 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Long Island, NY
Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
Posts: 1,341
25% reduction on clubs

So since November this means 7 clubs have closed, which is about 25% of the system. To me the company needs to decide what it wants to be when it grows up--a full service airline looking for business travelers or a hybrid LCC Express carrier which is the way they are heading.

By the way, when you renew your memberships, remind the agents that now that there are only 75% of the clubs you are willing to pay only 75% of the dues.......

I am sorry to say there is no longer a reason to use US on transcons......

between the cuisine in F on a transcon and no more clubs, the competition is looking alot better ( and NO I don't mean Greyhound Air.)
Art234 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:23 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
Posts: 983
As US shifts club availability more and more to United, why on EARTH would anybody pay for a US Club membership? Without the United kicker, it's virtually worthless.

I guess as US transforms into another LCC, they really don't need clubs. SW doesn't have clubs, why should US?
HPTunco is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:27 pm
  #6  
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 57,975
At LAX and SFO, UA and US are in different terminals.

Using the RCC at either airport is a logistical inconvenience.
Spiff is online now  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:39 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Programs: US1, NW, AA, SPG...
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by Spiff
At LAX and SFO, UA and US are in different terminals.

Using the RCC at either airport is a logistical inconvenience.
And an impossibility if you're holding a US ticket and only have a US club membership, like I do. Boy do I feel stupid for having bought a club membership this year. I should have known they would bait + switch.
bigred93 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:46 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: At This Point, Only G*d Knows!
Posts: 3,467
I know that for a while CO had been itching to take over the PBI club as they are the second largest gate holder there.

I guess they got their chance.

Dan
dan1431 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:49 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Posts: 3,290
Although US has long been rumored to be moving closer to UA at SFO, it's interesting that even though I have the RCC option for my US club membership, they didn't work out something with UA to let me into an RCC without a same-day UA ticket.

I guess it's Economy Plus and UA for me on the LAX and SFO routes now. (At least the eastbound segments)
phlwookie is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:41 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 723
I completely agree....

Originally Posted by Art234
So since November this means 7 clubs have closed, which is about 25% of the system. To me the company needs to decide what it wants to be when it grows up--a full service airline looking for business travelers or a hybrid LCC Express carrier which is the way they are heading.

By the way, when you renew your memberships, remind the agents that now that there are only 75% of the clubs you are willing to pay only 75% of the dues.......

I am sorry to say there is no longer a reason to use US on transcons......

between the cuisine in F on a transcon and no more clubs, the competition is looking alot better ( and NO I don't mean Greyhound Air.)
What is US management thinking? Obviously they are not!

This makes no sense to me. They should find a way to keep the LAX and SFO clubs open. Whenever I fly there on business I usually take a late morning flight home and just get to the airport early to take care of my business rather than leaving the hotel later and running the risk of delays at security, crowds, etc. With closing these clubs and until they move near United RCC's there's no option for the business traveler. My company would rather I fly UA anyway but I still find ways to fly US. Well except for my regular ORF-DCA run I doubt I'll be flying US anylonger. UA and AA here I come. I won't even consider US for a transcon anymore since the F product has been downgraded to such an extend these days.
US1@ORF is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:50 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 763
Originally Posted by dan1431
I know that for a while CO had been itching to take over the PBI club as they are the second largest gate holder there.

I guess they got their chance.

Dan
Actually US has more gates than CO. US has 7,9,11 & 14 (no13) and CO has 4,6 & with 2 now being used for the Continental Connection flights and Bahamasair flights while Concourse A is closed. Jet Blue is at 8 and 10, and NW is at 12.

Delta is the leader with almost all of the C gates with C 1-5 and 7
phllax is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:02 pm
  #12  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MKE
Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Posts: 3,293
NNOOO!!!

I just paid for membership like two months ago, and SFO is MY CLUB. This is legitimately a below the belt blow to me. I've stuck with US (granted only as a Silver) for years.



Though in all honesty, I'm not that surprised. I guess it was just wishful thinking ...

Last edited by Jumpgate; Mar 22, 2005 at 6:04 pm
Jumpgate is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:17 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Posts: 6,973
Originally Posted by Spiff
At LAX and SFO, UA and US are in different terminals.

Using the RCC at either airport is a logistical inconvenience.
You know what's an even bigger inconvenience? Standing in that %$#!@& security line in Terminal 1 at LAX. Now that the LAX club is closing, and with it our FastPass to bypassing the security line, I can look forward to a reenactment of the Disneyland queue for Space Mountain when flying out on weekday mornings. I think not. I'm about to book a transcon for July, and I'm pretty certain it'll be on UA. First class with security line from hell in T-1 vs. elite security line, lounge access & E+ in T-7?? No contest!
SS255 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:35 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Posts: 9,255
I'll bet they are not in any real hurry to move out of the current digs at LAX or SFO, either (unless they reject the leases to bag the club, in which case SFO will boot them to tear the terminal down and LAX will boot them to turn the gates over to Southwest).

So, you'll get to enjoy both of those stellar terminal facilities without club access. Well, at least the security line is normally short at SFO.....
ClueByFour is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:49 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: charlotte NC
Programs: AA EP
Posts: 581
Called the LAX club, and one of the girls said they are all happy as they are getting packages to leave. They have been very helpful and I will really miss them. She said to write in and complain about no club access, but I don't think it will do anything. She said the manager said they are going to TRY and work something out with the RCC when they move, but no date as of yet. She also said the RUMOR was that HP was looking into the current club site. This will make byrdluvsawaco very happy.

I would consider UA out of CLT to LAX, but that means a connection and paying for an upgrade that I may not even get. No one responded positively in another thread that they had ever gotten upgraded on UA as a CP or GP. I may try it next time.
la2clt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.