3 More clubs to close

Old Mar 23, 2005, 1:30 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Posts: 3,290
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
I just went to read usairways.com expecting to see some kind of press release about this. But there was nothing...not even in the usairways club section. I even tried clearing my cache.
It's here: http://justplanenews.com/ They really need to formally disclose it to customers though, I shouldn't have to know to look there or come here for it.
phlwookie is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2005, 1:51 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: At This Point, Only G*d Knows!
Posts: 3,467
I have often wondered why US did not make overtures to other airlines to help defrey the cost of the rent for their clubs. I know that Continental for a long time wanted the PBI club and was willing to lease/share the club with US.

In fact when PBI made their website it was an almost deal between US and CO to share the club. List of Lounges at PBI However, that fell through and US maintained sole rights to the lounge, PBI never updated their website to reflect that.

Dan
dan1431 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:02 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NJ
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 923
Originally Posted by dukeman
I thought the same thing! PBI doesn't make any sense regardless of acquirer!
Care to enlighten the less informed members here?
lt1GM is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:14 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: PHL
Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Posts: 779
Three more lounges closing (four, including MCO). It is another finger in the eye of the business and frequent traveler. It is a symptom of the disease. US is being horribly managed.

US management has created a service that defies definition. Are they an LCC now? The BlowFares for every city pair lacking LCC competition proves that wrong. Are they a full service airline? Box lunches in First for a transcon dinner prove that wrong. And now let’s now close 20% of the US Clubs including all the west coast lounges which were specifically targeted for business transcon passengers. Brilliant.

Why would anyone want to fly US? Want full business service? Try UA, AA, or CO. Want constantly low fares? Try WN, FL, B6, or F9. US is a full-fare carrier providing less than LCC service. Gee, there’s a product to try and market.

The unions “gave” US everything they wanted and demanded. But US management is squandering the window of opportunity the labor cost cutting provided. They have done nothing since “clear skies ahead” to win over customers. In fact the opposite is happening. Now, failure will fall squarely on the shoulders of CCY. There is no one else to blame. Sadly, the suits at CCY will be the least financially impacted by the collapse of US.
NovaEngr is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:39 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 478
Finger in the eye is right. I disagree with those who say they don't understand the business traveller. I think the new USAirways is going to be built to NOT cater to the FFs anymore.

I can see having no club in a small market, but not SFO or LAX.

I would be placated if they'd get me RCC access without a same day united tix.
bofie is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2005, 7:32 pm
  #51  
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 57,976
Originally Posted by bofie
I would be placated if they'd get me RCC access without a same day united tix.
Except that you'll have to clear suck-cur-i-tee twice at either LAX or SFO under those conditions. And don't expect UA to have any clue about your US flight status in another terminal.
Spiff is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:08 pm
  #52  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 8,278
Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
Three more lounges closing (four, including MCO). It is another finger in the eye of the business and frequent traveler. It is a symptom of the disease. US is being horribly managed.

US management has created a service that defies definition. Are they an LCC now? The BlowFares for every city pair lacking LCC competition proves that wrong. Are they a full service airline? Box lunches in First for a transcon dinner prove that wrong. And now let’s now close 20% of the US Clubs including all the west coast lounges which were specifically targeted for business transcon passengers. Brilliant.

Why would anyone want to fly US? Want full business service? Try UA, AA, or CO. Want constantly low fares? Try WN, FL, B6, or F9. US is a full-fare carrier providing less than LCC service. Gee, there’s a product to try and market.

The unions “gave” US everything they wanted and demanded. But US management is squandering the window of opportunity the labor cost cutting provided. They have done nothing since “clear skies ahead” to win over customers. In fact the opposite is happening. Now, failure will fall squarely on the shoulders of CCY. There is no one else to blame. Sadly, the suits at CCY will be the least financially impacted by the collapse of US.
Brilliant. I can not think of a worse way to manage an airline as US has done. Your point about UA, AA, and CO are well taken but in my mind there is no airline with their head on straight (well maybe WN - but only for their supporters which I am not) is UA - they have continaully show they understand the market - i.e. P.S. from JFK to SFO/LAX, F class and now E+ on regtional jets, restoring F meal service on anything over 90 mins, restoring hot towels, nuts and ice cream sundaes in F, and maintaing E+ on all jets laughing in the face of LRTC. I can't wait for the day that my flying patterns let me fly UA exclusively again. CO still has the best Y meal service and good F service (so I hear) but too many single class RJ's and bad upgrade competition. AA has a terrible Y product with good F but a lot of upgrade competition as well. DL is going down the same path as US. Had the right idea with simplifares and fee reductions but service cuts are an embarassment. NW I think floats by under the radar screen with dedicated elites due to more monopoly routes (think DTW, MSP and MEM - most locked up hubs in the country along with CLT and CVG) and the highest F:Y ratio.
sts603 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:25 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,222
Originally Posted by sts603
AA has a terrible Y product
Come on, it's not that bad!
ExtrAAordinaire is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:30 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,222
Originally Posted by sts603
UA - they have continaully show they understand the market - i.e. P.S. from JFK to SFO/LAX, F class and now E+ on regtional jets, restoring F meal service on anything over 90 mins, restoring hot towels, nuts and ice cream sundaes in F, and maintaing E+ on all jets laughing in the face of LRTC.
If UA understands the market so well, why do they continue to bleed inordinate amounts of money? p.s. and E+ are nice, but will they remain if/when UA exits bankruptcy and has to stand on its own two feet without the protection of the BK court?
ExtrAAordinaire is offline  
Old Mar 24, 2005, 2:29 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: PIT/LAX
Programs: US Gold, CO Silver,HH Gold,*wood Gold
Posts: 301
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
If you're connecting onto PIT, I would strongly advise against flying UA through IAD. You'll have to take a long bus ride (15-20 minutes) to the "G" terminal where United Express flights to PIT leave from, and wait in what looks like a Greyhound bus station. There's not even an RCC (or a bar!) in G to make the experience less painful.

A connection through ORD is a much better option as the ORD-PIT flights on UA are mainline.

Wahoo and Neo: Thanks for the tip...I do recall that exact experience on a UA flight connection from South America now that you mention it. As Neo mentioned, Denver seems to also be a good option on UA. Delta is mediochre through ATL- haven't gone though Cincy, but Continental and Northwest are longshots for me. Continental because of the RJs from IAH or CLE although I think Continental is the best US legacy carrier, and NW because...well I just don't like NW. I think AA would be passable through DFW, but UA through Denver seems to be the best bet.

Last edited by Wave1; Mar 24, 2005 at 2:37 am
Wave1 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 2005, 6:05 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: mystic island, nj, USA
Posts: 2,377
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
Because SFO and LAX are my other 2 most popular destinations that I fly to and I usually get to the airport extra early for LAX and SFO due to traffic, ect.

Two things,

Please direct your anger and letters to [email protected]. He is the winner of the most recent corporate power struggle. Deborah is a lovely and charming person but I happen to know that this decision came from way above her.

Join us at FFOCUS, we need all the active participants we can get. Make sure the voice of the frequent traveler and most loyal customer base gets heard LOUD & CLEAR!

FFOCUS is not me! It's all of us united!

Bruce Ashby is widely rumored to be the most customer unfriendly of all of the senior executives.
PineyBob is offline  
Old Mar 24, 2005, 6:33 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Posts: 1,136
Originally Posted by lt1GM
Care to enlighten the less informed members here?
Before I reveal my sophmoric theory, I should say that if I had to put money on it, these clubs were closed in order to limit lease exposure. I would bet that the BWI club costs a third of the LAX and SFO clubs and that is why it was not cut - that and there is surely a welcome suitor to take over the leases of the disposed.

All that aside, my first instinct (not thin-sliced) was that there is a merger in the works that would render those west coast clubs obsolete. That is where the PBI thing doesn't fit. America West was the first thing that came to mind, but again that was without any real knowledge of the financial standing or growth desires of that airline. I perused the HP forum yesterday only to find the ubiquitous discussion of NRSA nabbing F seats! Same discussion in the CO forum yesterday BTW.
Score8 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:03 am
  #58  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 8,278
Originally Posted by ExtrAAordinaire
If UA understands the market so well, why do they continue to bleed inordinate amounts of money? p.s. and E+ are nice, but will they remain if/when UA exits bankruptcy and has to stand on its own two feet without the protection of the BK court?
Well, there aren't many carriers that seem to be making money. UA is at least bleeding far less money than they did a couple years ago. They have had a rough run of luck in BK court. US has got ever break where as UA seems to get every ruling made against them - remember when the court actually overruled an agreement both the airline and pilots liked? A couple of other issues I think could be there dismall IAD hub which chases traffic away and horrible on-time percentages in ORD (this costs money as well). Finally, I think UA should stop trying to chase what we like to call at FT the $29-fliers. They are a better airlines and should charge a small premium (maybe $10, a little more on transcons) for better service and then market the product as such.
sts603 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:55 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: At This Point, Only G*d Knows!
Posts: 3,467
I realize that I am coming with this from a CO prespective but, if I remember correctly US was going to give up PBI a while back but, decided to hold onto it when CO strated to think of aquiring it. (I would do a search but it is down)

Maybe this is US finally realizing that the lease at PBI was too high and thus they had to end it. Another guess is that US is starting to wind down and this is its way of ending debts that could possible follow them down the road?

Dan
dan1431 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 2005, 9:24 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ROC
Programs: UA Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 250
Emailed Bruce Ashby

I emailed Bruce Ashby yesterday. I said:
Dear Mr. Ashby,

"I have been a loyal USAirways customer for many years and have preferred US because of the exemplary service. Unfortunately, recent service declines are leading me to rethink my loyalty. I have shaken off the fact that every international flight in the past 2 years has resulted in my luggage being delayed by 2 - 3 days. I have endured many cancelled flights due to crew unavailability or mechanical problems. I even renewed my club membership this year despite the closing of the Rochester club in December, 2004. However, the recently announced closing of the SFO and LAX clubs may be the last straw. I renewed my membership in good faith and I feel that USAirways has not returned that good faith. I expect it is too late to get a refund for my membership fee, but I will certainly try. I know that I am not alone in my thoughts. Your loyal frequent flyers have hung in with you through tough times, but we won't be with you forever unless you give us a reason to stick with you."

Today I got a phone call from John somebody calling on behalf of Bruce Ashby. He apologized and said "we had some tough decisions to make". He offered to refund my club membership and I have taken him up on it. However, I think my email had little impact. Perhaps if enough other people contact them . . .
noROCclub is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.