Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic VDBs and Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Domestic VDBs and Compensation

Yesterday at PHX while I was checking in and asked to make sure I was on the DM list for an upgrade to first. She said it didn't look too good since they were oversold. (It cleared at the gate, no volunteers where actually needed). So I said I would be willing to volunteer to take a later flight and since it was a travel day to me it didn't really matter what time I got back to PHL. She proceeded to tell me I would get a free roundtrip ticket anywhere in the US. At that point I asked for a travel credit. I explained that most of my travel is international and really did not have any use for a domestic ticket.

I know that according to the US Airways Terms of Transportation (http://www.usair.com/customers/trave...erms/terms.htm) under the section for Denied Boarding they can provide one of the following:
  • A transferable voucher for one free roundtrip coach class ticket on US Airways within the United States and Canada,
OR
  • A transferable voucher for a discount on a future ticket purchase on US Airways, valid systemwide.

The agent went into the back room to talk to someone, and said they couldn't do that but said I should check at the gate. So, I did. I think the station manager was assisting at the gate and I asked again. This time I was given the answer as to they were not authorized to do that.

Since they didn't need to bump anyone, I'm curious to find out what actually has to happen for an agent to be able to be authorized to use the travel voucher instead of the free ticket, since it is listed as a valid form of compensation for a VDB? Or if they are always authorized to use that option, does anyone have any other suggestions on what can be done to have them exercise that option?

Last edited by wr_schwab; Mar 11, 2005 at 4:41 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by wr_schwab
Yesterday at PHX while I was checking in and asked to make sure I was on the DM list for an upgrade to first. She said it didn't look too good since they were oversold. (It cleared at the gate, no volunteers where actually needed). So I said I would be willing to volunteer to take a later flight and since it was a travel day to me it didn't really matter what time I got back to PHL. She proceeded to tell me I would get a free roundtrip ticket anywhere in the US. At that point I asked for a travel credit. I explained that most of my travel is international and really did not have any use for a domestic ticket.

I know that according to the US Airways Terms of Transportation (http://www.usair.com/customers/trave...erms/terms.htm) under the section for Denied Boarding they can provide one of the following:
  • A transferable voucher for one free roundtrip coach class ticket on US Airways within the United States and Canada,
OR[list][*]A transferable voucher for a discount on a future ticket purchase on US Airways, valid systemwide.

The agent went into the back room to talk to someone, and said they couldn't do that but said I should check at the gate. So, I did. I think the station manager was assisting at the gate and I asked again. This time I was given the answer as to they were not authorized to do that.

Since they didn't need to bump anyone, I'm curious to find out what actually has to happen for an agent to be able to be authorized to use the travel voucher instead of the free ticket, since it is listed as a valid form of compensation for a VDB? Or if they are always authorized to use that option, does anyone have any other suggestions on what can be done to have them exercise that option?
I've never been successful in getting one. However, I have a feeling if they are grossly oversold - you will win. A phone call may be ncessary. On the otherhand, transatlantic bumps are traditionally a travel credit. Also, I have heard, and if someone could back me up on this it would be great that a RTFC can be converted by Consumer Affairs to a $200 TC. Not great but if it's not a lengthy delay - still worth it.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:05 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I did get a RTFC converted to a $300 travel credit by Consumer Affairs, but that was because the RFTC was from a !@#$-up trip, not from volunteering on an oversold flight. I was having trouble getting availability using the RFTC (as in, none ), so Consumer Affairs gave me a $-off voucher that covered all but $25 of the trip I was trying to book. They are smart -- customer is satisfied getting the trip he is trying to book, and they made an extra 25 bucks off me. I had to wait a week to qualify for the advance purchase, and the seats were available for sale, just not RTFC seats.

Consumer Affairs can do anything, but I seriously doubt they will convert a VDB RTFC to a $-off credit just because that's what you want. It's one thing for a trip to be royally screwed up, but if *you* volunteer, I think you pretty much have to take what they are offering (by definition of the word "volunteer"). If you don't want a RTFC, don't volunteer. Usually there are 10 other people that will jump at the chance for a free ticket when an oversale announcement is made.

Last edited by JS; Mar 11, 2005 at 5:11 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:21 pm

Programs: US lowlife
CA has been known to convert RTFC's into $ vouchers, if you ask...

-JC
Old May 1, 2006, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jcooke
CA has been known to convert RTFC's into $ vouchers, if you ask...

-JC
Which email address should I use to contact CA to exchange a RTFC for a $-off voucher? How much should I expect to get? $200?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.