Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Situation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Interesting Situation

Mrs. PHL INTL TERMINAL and myself are traveling to Aspen. Outbound PHL-DEN-ASE. We are flying on U metal on award tickets.

Only problem is that our flight home is on Sunday to PHL and I have to be in Dallas on Sunday also. If I were paying for the flight, I may go to PHL and the back west to Dallas for the miles, but since part of the flight will be on award travel...not worth it.

Normally, I would carry-on the luggage and get off at DEN...then fly to DFW on company dime. Only problem is that Mrs. PHL INTL TERMINAL is on the same itinerary.

Is it going to be an issue if I get off at DEN and my wife continues on to PHL (I will carry-on my luggage)? Will they give her a hard time if she makes the flight and I don't?

Will it be a problem if I don't get on the return ASE-DEN-PHL and have my company pay for ASE-DEN-DFW?

Not sure what to do here...any advise on how to approach this will be most appreciated. I'm not worried about price...just worried about my wife getting home on time without any issuses. I don't want her to get on the plane in DEN or ASE and question where the person traveling with her is.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:52 pm

My parents were faced with a similar situation a couple years ago on Delta. They both flew out SNA-ATL on award tickets, but my mom returned home on ATL-SNA by herself while my dad stayed behind so he could drive our trusty '94 Camry with me back to California. On the return segment, the agent (seeing only one person checking in) asked my mom if her companion was traveling with her, and she replied with a simple no. The agent seemed satisfied with that answer, and no one bothered her after that (although I assume her answer freed up my dad's seat). Granted, this was before 9/11, but I would think it would be still be fine to do what you suggested. Anyone else have more recent experience with a similar situation?
Old Feb 23, 2005, 8:03 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
I've had the same situation with awards on both America West and American and, like the reply above, just had a simple question by the agent at America West who was satisfied with an equally simple "No." Travel on American involved check-in with a kiosk, and simply didn't select to check-in the party not traveling on the ticket.. no interaction with any employees and no problems checking in via that means.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 7:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
If possible, online check-in sounds like a good option.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:47 am
Original Poster

What about the fact that I will be cheking into the flight and flying one of the segments? Will they give her a hard time when she gets on the flight DEN-PHL and I don't? Or should she tell the agent that I won't be on that portion of the flight?

Thanks for the responses so far!
Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:29 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by PHL INTL TERMINAL
What about the fact that I will be cheking into the flight and flying one of the segments? Will they give her a hard time when she gets on the flight DEN-PHL and I don't? Or should she tell the agent that I won't be on that portion of the flight?

Thanks for the responses so far!

What's wrong with a little white lie? Something like, "Well, I just spoke to him on my cell phone and he's doing his best to get here, but got stuck behind a major accident somewhere in Jersey. Keep your fingers crossed he makes this flight!!"

Wouldn't that do the trick just fine??
Old Feb 25, 2005, 7:18 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Better yet, if questioned at DEN, your wife could say that you felt ill coming off the flight from ASE, have decided to stay in Denver with a friend for a day or two, and will call later for arrangements to PHL.

By the way, make sure that any checked bags are on your wife's ticket, not yours. If you check in together at ASE, they might simply tag the bags on the first ticket in the record. If you do not board the PHL flight and the checked bags are listed on your ticket, your wife's bags might get pulled off.

Last edited by NovaEngr; Feb 25, 2005 at 7:43 am
Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:11 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
No need to lie. Just tell the truth. He isn't going to make it. End of story. If you feel compelled to offer more then just tell the truth -- his plans have changed and he had to take a flight to DFW.

The only legitimate problem is if he checks bags through to PHL in his own name -- they'll have to pull those bags off the flight. So don't do that.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
Better yet, if questioned at DEN, your wife could say that you felt ill coming off the flight from ASE, have decided to stay in Denver with a friend for a day or two, and will call later for arrangements to PHL.

By the way, make sure that any checked bags are on your wife's ticket, not yours. If you check in together at ASE, they might simply tag the bags on the first ticket in the record. If you do not board the PHL flight and the checked bags are listed on your ticket, your wife's bags might get pulled off.
This is my favorite and I'm sticking to it. No checking of the bags either - bag checking is against my policy.

I know I'm making a big deal of this, but Mrs. PHL INTL TERMINAL doesn't need to be bothered, especially since the in-laws will also be on the flight. Should she tell someone at the gate in advance in DEN that I will not be on the flight, or should she wait until someone asks where I am and why I am not on the flight?
Old Feb 26, 2005, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by PHL INTL TERMINAL
This is my favorite and I'm sticking to it. No checking of the bags either - bag checking is against my policy.

I know I'm making a big deal of this, but Mrs. PHL INTL TERMINAL doesn't need to be bothered, especially since the in-laws will also be on the flight. Should she tell someone at the gate in advance in DEN that I will not be on the flight, or should she wait until someone asks where I am and why I am not on the flight?
Telling them in advance will likely cause more problems than not saying anything unless they ask.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I have a similar issue.

Holding revenue tickets PHL-RDU rt on the weekend 4/15-4/17. Taking the wife to her 25th reunion at Duke University. Kids too on a $29 GoFare.

Now I have to be in ICN by Tuesday. Only way is to fly UA (per company policy - at least I get to fly in paid C), will have to leave from RDU early Sunday AM to arrive ICN late Monday evening.

Do I:

1) OLCI the RDU-PHL return in hope of getting the miles?
2) Call US CP line and tell them I won't be using the return?
3) Don't OLCI and don't show and have my wife tell them I got called away to Korea?

At least this is a GoFare with no Sat nite stay requirement or RT requirement so I can't be accused of back2back or throwaway ticketing. It's just I planned the leisure travel so far in advance and then the biz opportunity arose in ICN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.