Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Mainline Beverage Service in Y?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:34 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by JS
US' Chapter 11 partner, UA, has the same problem with Channel 9. Maybe it will be on, maybe it won't. US and UA are perfect for one another -- your service is a roll of the dice.
IIRC, Channel 9 is at the descretion of the captain. If he doesn't want it on, it won't be. Then again, the few flights I've had on UA have had it on.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:04 pm

Programs: US1
Originally Posted by otralot
Those shuttle flights are way expensive like 200 bucks one way and 98% business travelers os its in you bets interest to treat them nice.
I don't know about you but I have never, NEVER paid 200 bucks to fly DCA LGA. That must be a walk up last minute fare because I have gotten several for 98 r/t. I think the most I have paid is 130 r/t (before taxes). I take that route several times a year..but always buy 2 weeks out as well.

Last edited by US AIRWAYS FAN; Feb 22, 2005 at 5:07 pm
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Scottie
I hadn't flown Y in a while until Wednesday, and was amazed that on two flights (451 BDL/PHL and 693 PHL/PIT) there was no beverage service at all. The only sighting of a FA was to collect newspapers at the end of each flight. When the standard "It was our pleasure serving you" announcement was made arriving in PHL, a PAX loudly exclaimed "Did I miss something??" causing much laughter. I've since asked two GAs when beverage service was discontinued, and both said no such change had been made -- although one added "sounds like some FAs are getting lazy" (followed by a riff about "maybe it's because they're working for $2.50 an hour"). Anyone else run into this situation -- or did I miss something?

No offense, but do you guys ever read? As stated at usairways.com:

Beginning June 1, 2004 US Airways will make the following changes to its complimentary beverage service:

Flights between 0 - 224 miles - No beverage service

Flights between 225-399 miles - Limited beverage service

Flights of 400 miles or more - Full beverage service

Now, BDL - PHL is just 195 miles, so obviously it does not qualify for beverage service in Y Class under the US Airways guidelines.

PHL - PIT should have gotten a "limited beverage selection" since it is 268 miles.

The FAs on the first leg-- BDL - PHL were definitely not being lazy.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:39 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Where is this stated at usairways.com? I just queried the page and found the following:

New Reservations
Existing Reservations
Itinerary / Receipt
Travel Tools
At The Airport
Destination Information
Travel Policies
Groups and Meetings
Inflight Services
Alliances
Map Center
International Travel
Children Traveling Alone Air
Car
Hotel
Packages
Getaway Savers Traveler Profile
Ticket Changes
Timetables
Flight Information
Flight Check-In
Tutorials Caribbean
Europe
Latin America
US & Canada Baggage
Terms of Transportation
Traveling with Infants and
Children
Pets
Security Checkpoints
Security Fee
Special Assistance
Ticketing
Standby Travel
Special Meals Current Promotions
E-Savers
Discount Programs
Low Fare Tips
US Airways Vacations Military Leave Fares
A4COACH
Companion Travel
Group Travel
Incentive Travel Enroll in Dividend Miles
Login to Your Account
News and Offers
Earning Miles
Redeeming Miles
Preferred Levels
Program Information
US Airways Visa Business Travel Center
US Airways Club
US Airways Golf
Gift Certificates
Self-Service Check-in Kiosks
Premium Services
US Airways Cargo
US Airways Vacations
US Airways Store First Class
Envoy Class Press Information
Careers
Corporate Giving
Investor Relations
Aircraft
US Airways Express
US Airways Shuttle
US Airways Vacations Ask US a Question
Ticket Changes
Refund/Ticket/Memo Status
Travel Policies
City Ticket Offices
Customer Commitment
Tutorials 24-Hour Cancellation
Refunds
Exchanges Baggage
Terms of Transportation
Traveling with Infants and
Children
Pets
Security Checkpoints
Security Fee
Special Assistance
Ticketing
Standby Travel
Special Meals

Account: PIN: Forgot Number? | Reset PIN?

News and Offers
· Double Miles toward Status.
· Double Miles to/from D.C.
· Vote in Freddie Awards

Program Information
· Enroll in Dividend Miles
· 1,000 Miles for E-mail Deals

Enter address to receive weekly discounts via e-mail

· Three Seasons of Savings - from $78* R/T
· First Class Travel - from $549* R/T
· Weekly and Caribbean E-Savers

New York - Ft. Lauderdale $55* O/W
Philadelphia - Orlando $79* O/W
Washington - Atlanta $74* O/W

More Promotions and News
· Cold Weather . . . Hot Sale
· Save up to 40% at Sandals Resorts
· Free Nights in Europe

*Taxes, fees and restrictions apply with advance purchase

To:
Search By: Price Schedule
Trip Type: Roundtrip One Way
Departing: Jan Feb Mar (blah blah blah)
Returning: Jan Feb Mar (blah blah blah)
Class: Coach / Economy Coach - Unrestricted Envoy - Restricted Envoy - Unrestricted First - Restricted First - Unrestricted
Adults: (blah blah blah) Children: (blah blah blah)

More Search Options
Existing Reservations
Refund/Ticket/Memo Status Traveler Profile
Itinerary/Receipt
Ticket Changes

Never used Flight Check-In?

First Name Last Name

Departure City Travel Day
Please Select a City -------------------- Boston,MA Charlotte,NC New York,NY Philadelphia,PA (blah blah blah) Confirmation Code: Flight Number:
- or -

Flight Number:
Day:

YesterdayTodayTomorrow

©2005 US Airways, Inc. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy - System Requirements - Careers - Site Search - Restructuring

You don't honestly expect people to click on every single link and read every word on the entire website to get the latest information on beverage service, do you?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I didn't see anything about June 1, 2004 on there - all it says is June 1 - for all I know, it could be a policy that will be placed into effect on June 1, 2005. Anyway, on my most recent US mainline flight, PHL-BOS, a 280 mile flight, we had a full beverage service - of course, on an A321 with only 40 passengers, it's not all too hard to do a full beverage service, even on a 45 minute flight. My next US trip where this would apply is in May (my trip in a couple of weeks is on the Shuttle) - GSO-CLT-MSY and back...I'm expecting nothing on the GSO-CLT flights, but maybe a little coffee would be nice on a 550 am flight (although the next morning I'm on a 525 am GSO-MCO flight...that should be even more fun).
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:51 am

Programs: US lowlife
Originally Posted by JS
Where is this stated at usairways.com? I just queried the page and found the following:

<bunch of links>

You don't honestly expect people to click on every single link and read every word on the entire website to get the latest information on beverage service, do you?
No, intuitively one would look under "Inflight Services", as that what a beverage service is. Not knowing where to find it took me less than 1 minute to find it and I hate how the website is laid out for finding information.

-JC
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM Lifetime PLT, Hyatt LT Diamond, Marriott LT PLT, Hertz PC
The beverage service changes put in place last June are not being implemented consistently, because on the return flights (I'm the OP) last Friday night, both PIT/PHL and PHL/BDL had "limited beverage service". Seems discretionary (arbitrary?) to me, and probably a reflection of load.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:13 pm

Programs: US lowlife
It has varied since they day they implemented it. Most of the times its worked to our favor on the flights that I've been on so I will not complain one bit.

-JC
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:35 pm

Post #8 has the link.

There was a dicussion about this when we got the email last may/June. If the search feature was working I would find it.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:51 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by jcooke
No, intuitively one would look under "Inflight Services", as that what a beverage service is. Not knowing where to find it took me less than 1 minute to find it and I hate how the website is laid out for finding information.

-JC
That doesn't explain why the same route gets a beverage service in one direction but not another. It doesn't seem to be correlated with passenger load (nor should it, as that leads to inconsistency of service). I recall some flights where it was the opposite, getting service one way on a full flight but nothing the other direction on a half full flight.
Old May 3, 2005, 5:27 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Angry Totally dehydrated!

Im in PIT just outside the Club writing this and just off of US 54 LAX to PIT this morning.

This is a red-eye and a long trip. No beverage cart service AT ALL was offered. No bevs just after lift off, no morning coffee or OJ. No nada from the cart! FA said that passengers don't like being awakened so they weren't doing it.

In all fairness, there was water at the back, and one FA did walk the cabin and handed out a bottle if requested.

What's going on here? Im totally dehydrated!
Old May 3, 2005, 6:18 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by tvl4free
Im in PIT just outside the Club writing this and just off of US 54 LAX to PIT this morning.

This is a red-eye and a long trip. No beverage cart service AT ALL was offered. No bevs just after lift off, no morning coffee or OJ. No nada from the cart! FA said that passengers don't like being awakened so they weren't doing it.

In all fairness, there was water at the back, and one FA did walk the cabin and handed out a bottle if requested.

What's going on here? Im totally dehydrated!
So you talked to the flight attendant, and did see water being run out, but you didn't think to ask for a beverage?
Old May 3, 2005, 6:25 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by JAXPax
So you talked to the flight attendant, and did see water being run out, but you didn't think to ask for a beverage?
Your defense here is weak. Since when does a customer have to go out of his way to ask for service? Push the cart up the aisle and ask those awake if they would like a beverage.

There is NO excuse for this lack of service.
Old May 3, 2005, 6:41 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Your defense here is weak. Since when does a customer have to go out of his way to ask for service? Push the cart up the aisle and ask those awake if they would like a beverage.

There is NO excuse for this lack of service.
I'm not defending US. I'm sorry if having any sort of attitude outside of bashing US and continually mouthing off about how awful things are to the press isn't welcome here.

The passenger complains of being dehydrated. Whether US provided a beverage service or not (which they should have, and those flight attendants should be reported for not offering one on such a lengthy flight, red-eye or not), the passenger says the flight attendants did offer water and it seems may have offered other beverages on request.

What's more important to the passenger? Staying hydrated or steaming in his seat over the beverage cart not rolling up the aisle? The lack of a beverage service offering is unacceptable. However, if he experienced that much discomfort from being dehydrated and didn't see it appropriate to state this and ask for a beverage, that's partially his fault.
Old May 3, 2005, 6:49 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by JAXPax
..... that's partially his fault.
Is your last name Crellin by any chance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.