Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

Best way to get US to not only match, but beat my AA status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gld. US Gld.

I have heard on a few occasions that US has not only matched people's status on other carriers, but beaten it. I have heard that sometimes this seems to have been done on purpose, or sometimes by accident, like with AA Gold being matched by US Gold, even though AA Gold is US Silver. Here is my question: as AA Gold, what is a better bet, asking them to beat my AA status, asking them for a match and hope for a mistake, or compromising, and asking them for gold to gold, without mentioning that my gold is their silver?
Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Since the nice folks at Dividend Miles aren't stupid, they probably aren't going to make a mistake and "overcomp" you.

You might be able to get a challenge for a higher status, though. That will involve some flying, however.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 5:20 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Ahh, nice trying to get something, but if you were a US elite would you like it if there was more competition because US was giving out free level bumps and matches?
Old Feb 5, 2005, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

I had heard of the "comp-up" happening before, and people being unsure of the reason. And to those of you out there upset about possible devaluation of your status, don't worry, I just want the extra Star Aliance status for my trans-Atlantic travels. I won't be stealing your upgrades
Old Feb 5, 2005, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by DannyP
I had heard of the "comp-up" happening before, and people being unsure of the reason. And to those of you out there upset about possible devaluation of your status, don't worry, I just want the extra Star Aliance status for my trans-Atlantic travels. I won't be stealing your upgrades
The only time you've heard of this happening is in another thread here in which an AA gold was given US gold. That was a mistake. It might happen once out of every 1,000 times US gives a comp (if that). So go ahead, send your AA gold statement to US. There's a chance you'll get US gold, but it's not likely. Why don't you ask US for a gold challenge instead?

How many trans-Atlantic trips can you have if you're only AA gold?
Old Feb 5, 2005, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnep1
The only time you've heard of this happening is in another thread here in which an AA gold was given US gold. That was a mistake. It might happen once out of every 1,000 times US gives a comp (if that). So go ahead, send your AA gold statement to US. There's a chance you'll get US gold, but it's not likely. Why don't you ask US for a gold challenge instead?

How many trans-Atlantic trips can you have if you're only AA gold?
I had thought about that. Only one problem: when I am on *A, it is almost always UA, who I know would never give me highter status. US does not actually fly to a bunch of the places I need, and therefore, it would have to be UA tix booked through either UA or US. I don't fly trans-Atlantic that often, my AA gold comes from domestic trips. I only go overseas maybe twice a year, but when I do, it's nice to have the lounges and stuff. Does US count miles towards challenges when the reservations are with US, but it's on UA metal?
Old Feb 5, 2005, 8:17 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Does US count miles towards challenges when the reservations are with US, but it's on UA metal?
No.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
No.
That's what I was affraid of.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:41 pm

I had thought about that. Only one problem: when I am on *A, it is almost always UA, who I know would never give me highter status. US does not actually fly to a bunch of the places I need, and therefore, it would have to be UA tix booked through either UA or US. I don't fly trans-Atlantic that often, my AA gold comes from domestic trips. I only go overseas maybe twice a year, but when I do, it's nice to have the lounges and stuff. Does US count miles towards challenges when the reservations are with US, but it's on UA metal?
If you don't fly many international trips, then you're not likely to retain any mid-tier status that you're given (either through a mistake or challenge). Buying membership in an airline club that allows access to partner clubs might be the best way for you to go. I'm a member of the QF club and will be joining the AS club Monday. Though I rarely fly either QF or AS, membership in their clubs will cost me ~$400/year total and will give me access (when flying the airline) to QF, AS, NW, AA, BA, and US clubs. I will also get access to some DL clubs and the CO club at EWR.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I have heard on a few occasions that US has not only matched people's status on other carriers, but beaten it. I have heard that sometimes this seems to have been done on purpose, or sometimes by accident, like with AA Gold being matched by US Gold, even though AA Gold is US Silver. Here is my question: as AA Gold, what is a better bet, asking them to beat my AA status, asking them for a match and hope for a mistake, or compromising, and asking them for gold to gold, without mentioning that my gold is their silver?

Why would you want to leave AA for US Airways? Have you read anything about the pathetic domestic and transcon First Class US Airways is offering? Inflight-cafe meals (no hot entrees) are being given in First Class on flights that exceed 5 hrs such as PHL - LAX. With AA, they have those fabulous 777s flying from MIA-DFW, DFW-LAX, and DFW-ORD, and even if you don't get the upgrade, you still get a seat in Business Class as AA Gold.

I think you are better off asking United to match your status.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:51 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by fly747first
Why would you want to leave AA for US Airways? Have you read anything about the pathetic domestic and transcon First Class US Airways is offering? Inflight-cafe meals (no hot entrees) are being given in First Class on flights that exceed 5 hrs such as PHL - LAX. With AA, they have those fabulous 777s flying from MIA-DFW, DFW-LAX, and DFW-ORD, and even if you don't get the upgrade, you still get a seat in Business Class as AA Gold.

I jumped ship last year from AA mid-tier to US and haven't looked back. With my travel now primarily up and down the east coast, AA didn't cut it. Flying American from JAX to the northeast requires flying a turboprop 1hr45min south to Miami, normally a two-three hour connection then a flight back north. Alternately, a STL connection is possible, making a fun 6 hours of RJ flying plus a layover.

On US I'm in First 98% of the time (and even to Vegas and back on the B757) instead of riding around in the back most of the time on AA even as a mid-tier, the elite telephone lines/service centers are much more responsive, I find the service adequate for my typical 300-800 mile flights, and you cannot beat the schedule or the people (especially the flight crews... so much better than those at AA).

Oh: And in response to US not being stupid and never overcomping, they matched AA Gold to US Gold for both a family member of mine and a friend in the last three months. One just asked for a status match. The other, knowing that AA Gold = US Silver, asked for US Silver and was given Gold instead.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first

I wouldn't likely leave AA for US. However, when I have to fly IAD-LHR, my only options are BA, where I have no miles or status, or UA, where I have some miles, and no status. I cannot fix eithe problem for BA, but on UA, US mid-level status would get me access to the lounges, and, more importantly certain times, priority check-in and security. There are also better trans-con options with UA than AA out of IAD. However, nothing beats the US Shuttle between BOS, DCA and LGA, especially when you take into account free upgrades to the F cabin. Even Y beats the pathetic AE RJs. United, however, will never grant me higher status than my AA status. AA is their biggest competitor, and they have probably studied the AA program more extensively than some folks at AA. And yes, I know I am trying to get something for nothing, but working the system seems to be the point of much of FT, lol
Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Also, am I better off going to a ticket or airport office, or calling. If I go to an airport, it would be DCA, and if I go to a ticket office, it would be Arlington, VA. At either of these two locations, or else at the DM desk, are there any particular people I want to ask for? Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Also, am I better off going to a ticket or airport office, or calling. If I go to an airport, it would be DCA, and if I go to a ticket office, it would be Arlington, VA. At either of these two locations, or else at the DM desk, are there any particular people I want to ask for? Thanks.
Search for Carole Blazer. Faxing her seems to work.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Search for Carole Blazer. Faxing her seems to work.
Thanks. What, exactly, should I request in the fax: regular match, match to gold, status increase? I am assuming asking for gold and then pretend that I thought US gold was the same as AA, but if I am wrong, please tell me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.