FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger-505/)
-   -   A change for bonus miles for preferred members. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger/392071-change-bonus-miles-preferred-members.html)

rondi Jan 21, 2005 1:55 pm

A change for bonus miles for preferred members.

On the US Airways web-page I noticed an important change of the rules for awarding bonus miles to status members. All Lufthansa flights are no longer present on the list of flights eligible for bonus miles for both Silver and Gold members.

I hope I am wrong on this. Any comment?

US AIRWAYS FAN Jan 21, 2005 2:02 pm

I don't think there is a need for it since US is part of the *A now. If your silver you will get 50% and gold you will get 100% on all *A carriers. Now I do not know about flying and paying for full Y and business class tickets.

T

rondi Jan 21, 2005 3:04 pm

MAJOR CHANGE! Unfortunately no longer bonus miles on Lufthansa or Air Canada!

Just got off the phone speaking with DM agent. The change is true! No longer bonus miles for Preferred members on Lufthansa. This rule change also affects flights on Air Canada. What a pity! MP still offers them on the transatlantic LH flights.

US AIRWAYS FAN Jan 21, 2005 3:11 pm

This is very confusing because then that would go against the *A rules. Is this for all classes? Or are you all talking about the extra 150% bonus and the 200% bonus?

rondi Jan 21, 2005 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
This is very confusing because then that would go against the *A rules. Is this for all classes? Or are you all talking about the extra 150% bonus and the 200% bonus?

This has nothing to do with the class of service bonus. It remains the same. The change affects the bonus miles awarded to Preferred Silver 50%, Gold and Chairman's P. 100% bonus miles that up until now were awarded on both Lufthansa and Air Canada flights. Those bonuses are now gone! They want us to fly across the pond only on US Airways or United!

US AIRWAYS FAN Jan 21, 2005 3:22 pm

Never mind. I just went to the *A website and there is no mention of the golds getting 100% and silvers 50%. I guess it was an agreement between LH and US. I thought it was all of *A but I was wrong.

But reading further you get bonus points on ANA as well if you fly with them.

schistosomiasis Jan 22, 2005 4:25 pm

no blanket *a rule regarding bonus

I believe that on Singapore and Varig airlines, the elite bonus only applies to flights taken on the respective airlines- if you are silver or gold on SQ Kris Flyer, you only get the bonus if you fly Singapore, and not any other star airline. The same is true for Varig. US Airways could change the rule to not allow the elite bonus even on United flights if they wanted I suppose...

HPTunco Jan 22, 2005 5:23 pm

This month, I flew in "C" with LH.......and received the 200% bonus in my DM account. ^

cedric Jan 22, 2005 5:47 pm

AFAIK, US was the only Star Alliance carrier to offer the bonus to their (upper tier) frequent flyer program members taking ANY Star Alliance flight. For instance, an Air Canada mid or top tier member can only get a 30% bonus on certain Star carriers (IIRC BD, Thai, LH). That's it. US was very generous in this respect and continues to be, since the bonus still applies to all other Star carriers except LH and AC from what the OP posted. From what I remember, Caribbean Star/Sun miles also count to this bonus.

cedric Jan 25, 2005 10:28 pm

Was digging around on usairways.com and it looks like Caribbean Star and Caribbean Sun are gone as are most of the Star carriers. Now, the preferred bonus is only available on US, UA and ANA. :td: :td:

PGHflyer Jan 28, 2005 8:44 am

Man, that does stink.

I have an upcoming flight on United Metal, but issued as a Lufthansa codeshare.

Do you think I will still get the bonus?

photog72 Jan 28, 2005 12:30 pm

Depends on when the new rules take effect (unless they already have). If you are flying using the UA flight number, then you'll probably get the bonus. If you used the LH flight number when booking, then probably not.

Originally Posted by jkzahn
Man, that does stink.

cedric Jan 28, 2005 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jkzahn
Man, that does stink.

I think in the general case, you get miles based on the operating carrier. So likely, you will get the bonus, but do post and let us know what happened!

wr_schwab Jan 31, 2005 2:47 pm

Took an AC flight on 1/28/05, miles posted today (1/31/05) with the preferred bonus.

Flight was ticketed on an as AC number and metal, but was on US ticket stock.

PGHflyer Feb 22, 2005 3:22 pm

LH flight on UA Metal - still received 100% Chairman Bonus
LH Flight on LH Metal - still received 100% Chairman Bonus
UA flight on UA Metal - still received 100% Chairman Bonus

Still looks good to me.......