Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is PHL the WORST airport in America?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by HPTunco
HOWEVER....two prison matrons would not allow me to walk through the corredor that would have kept me INSIDE security and on my way easily to the gate. Instead, I had to go outside of security and physically outside the building to walk over to Terminal B.

All because PHL cannot allow passengers, who already have been screened for security, to move to connecting flights without being rescreened. This is a great hub to build your airline and profitable transatlantic business around.
Actually rescreening once customs is cleared is mandatory, to my knowledge. On all my international flights, most recently through IAD and DTW, I have had to go back through TSA once entering the US. And neither were pleasant experiences. Now maybe PHL can have a dedicated TSA line for folks arriving on international flights, but sounds like the matrons did their job.

And let me be clear: you are angry because your bags actually made it to PIT?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Rescreening is fine. What gets people angry is the recheck line that backs up into the baggage area because they are only using one line.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Last time I checked LHR and CDG werent in America. For that matter OKC is a matter of opinion on that regard, but I digress. Some of those airports, especially LHR and ORD are a lot busier than PHL. And I fly into them a lot and have not seen the consistent late flights, abuse or lack of concern for passengers or lost luggage at LHR and ORD. Sorry, but it just doesnt happen. And again, they are a lot busier than PHL. Operations at LHR are much smoother than PHL. I was only really late on a connection once at LHR and the person telling passengers which line to get in to recheck saw that I was running late (my LH flight into LHR was delayed by weather in Germany) and rushed me to the front of the line. From there he called for a cart to meet me after I checked in and the cart radioed the gate to tell them I was coming. I was late on a connection on an international flight coming into PHL on a couple of occassions and the charming people all but gave me the finger and laughed in my face. LHR is a very, very busy, but very well run airport where the employees try to take care of the passengers as well as they can. PHL is out of control.

I fly out of PHL all the time. The people treat me nicely. I see them treat others nicely. I don't see the agent problems you do and I just about live there.

Is it you perhaps?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:22 pm
Suspended

A question to sts603:

You mentioned that you walked past 8 gates at DFW Terminal C without seeing a window. I'm curious which 8 gates those were? I've been flying out of that terminal for 25 years and, even with construction zones (like currently for the new Skylink stations), I can't think of a distance longer than three physical gates (remember each jetbridge may have two boarding gates) without windows. Two major terminal renovations have, in fact, added windows.

I'll agree that DFW is not the prettiest airport but few hub airports allow you to park so close and its multiple security entrances help minimize wait times to be screened.

When it comes to airports, I'll take function over form.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:48 pm

Programs: US Gold, CO Silver,HH Gold,*wood Gold
Ditto

Not to pile on, but...I had somehow managed to avoid PHL for several years (by using CLT or PIT just flying direct) until cutbacks at PIT finally forced me through PHL in November. All I can say is HOLY *#@%.

I honestly did not think it could actually be THIS bad. I experienced a series of events that amounted to a "combo platter" of Philly airports worst traits. At any rate I have learned my lesson. Incidentally the US GAs in PHL were OK, but the rest of the facility employees were predictably awful and the rest of the experience had it all: Multiple delays, insanely far walks, bad food, baggage issues (not mine, but folks i had met during my delays) etc. etc.--all on a saturday BTW. I can't think of any other A.P. that i really loath, although IAD is annoying just for the "bumpy bus". I always try to connect in an AP that is not delay prone so avoid ORD and ATL.

I know the O&D in Philly is great, but just keep it a focus city and expand PIT and CLT for the rest of us.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by bofie
I fly out of PHL all the time. The people treat me nicely. I see them treat others nicely. I don't see the agent problems you do and I just about live there.

Is it you perhaps?
No. Most of the time it isnt so much not being nice as not doing anything. I should add, it isnt like Im the only one that feels this way. It would seem to be a majority opinion among people on the thread. And the fact that most of us, and since you asked, me in particular, dont have the same view of other airports that would also indicate it is a PHL problem, not a GadgetFreak problem.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Jan 14, 2005 at 10:27 pm
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by HPTunco
HOWEVER....two prison matrons would not allow me to walk through the corredor that would have kept me INSIDE security and on my way easily to the gate. Instead, I had to go outside of security and physically outside the building to walk over to Terminal B.
I have always had to re-clear security after leaving customs in the 6 international ports of entry I've been through. Are there any airports where you do not have to do that? After all, you have been in contact with all of the contraband in your checked luggage!

That said, I think PHL as well as most other airports could do a better job providing an easier security check for connecting international pax. Dare I suggest an exclusive security check at peak times?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Not that bad

I've used it a lot.

International terminal is attractive, customs process was quick and easy.

Shopping is OK, nothing great (PIT is better, but not as good as it used to be).

Food is OK (cheesesteak....mmmmmm)

No attitude problems with anyone so far.

Connections were fine.

Guess I'm lucky?!
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:06 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by drtdk
A question to sts603:

You mentioned that you walked past 8 gates at DFW Terminal C without seeing a window. I'm curious which 8 gates those were? I've been flying out of that terminal for 25 years and, even with construction zones (like currently for the new Skylink stations), I can't think of a distance longer than three physical gates (remember each jetbridge may have two boarding gates) without windows. Two major terminal renovations have, in fact, added windows.

I'll agree that DFW is not the prettiest airport but few hub airports allow you to park so close and its multiple security entrances help minimize wait times to be screened.

When it comes to airports, I'll take function over form.
I have one of those bizarre memories that I can actually tell you the connection was C38 - C31 back in March. And I ended up walking it several times looking for the best option to eat so at least at that time, there was not a window. I agree, function over form but it was just depressing. I hate PHL but at least they have windows and if you get down to E and F you can see the skyline.

On the contrary - going back many years to when a US Club membership got into AA Admiral's - the club in DFW C was quite attractive.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
PHL was just named the 8th best-mannered city in the US in etiquette expert Marjabelle Young Stewart's 29th annual report - http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/14/pol....ap/index.html

In other news, etiquette expert Marjabelle Young Stewart just started doing crack....

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 15, 2005 at 12:53 am
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:59 am

Programs: eleVAte (Virgin America)
Originally Posted by CPRich
PHL was just named the 8th best-mannered city in the US in etiquette expert Marjabelle Young Stewart's 29th annual report
Yeah, but it was also named the 2nd fattest/least fit city in America by Men's Health magazine (Houston #1, Detroit #3) and the #1 best tippers by some restaurant magazine. What does all this mean? I conclude that when Philadelphians are sitting down & eating they are happy & leave big tips!

When they have to stand up and are hungry though....
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:51 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by CPRich
PHL was just named the 8th best-mannered city in the US in etiquette expert Marjabelle Young Stewart's 29th annual report - http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/14/pol....ap/index.html

In other news, etiquette expert Marjabelle Young Stewart just started doing crack....

In other words, they only visited 7!
Old Jan 15, 2005, 5:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sts603
I have one of those bizarre memories that I can actually tell you the connection was C38 - C31 back in March. And I ended up walking it several times looking for the best option to eat so at least at that time, there was not a window. I agree, function over form but it was just depressing. I hate PHL but at least they have windows and if you get down to E and F you can see the skyline.

On the contrary - going back many years to when a US Club membership got into AA Admiral's - the club in DFW C was quite attractive.
You have quite a memory. That section of Termianl C was built as an extension in the mid 1980s to complete the semicircle design and add another entrance and an addtional parking structure. Perhaps it was under construction when you passed through. There are windows from Gates 35-38. They are not the floor to ceiling variety found from 31 down but they do allow one to see out to ramp and watch gate arrival and departures.

Because of its narrower concourse, there are no eating spots above 31, just a newstand and small gift shop. It hasn't been updated to match the rest of the terminal so you are probably right that it is not too appealing. I often fly out of those gates when traveling to Salt Lake. They has one functional advantage. By being at the end of the ramp, it is normally an unobstructed taxi out to the runaways.

Perhaps on a future visit, you will get to check out the soon-to-open International Terminal D (it will also handle some Domestic flights). Very stunning and plenty of windows and translucent ticket counters so you can see through to the gates.

Safe travels.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 7:05 am

I'm going to disagree and say that MCI is the worst airport in america, and anyone who flies WN semi-regularly and has the misfortune of layovers there would agree. The system of having to go through security every time you leave the gate (to go to the bathroom, get some food, smoke, etc etc) is absolutely the most ludicrous thing on earth.

It's laid out like an old bus station, it's depressing and ugly, and the security situation is just asinine. Having to go through security again when changing gates on connections is so stupid that I refuse to connect there anymore.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Actually rescreening once customs is cleared is mandatory, to my knowledge.
And this is not just some silly TSA rule, but it actually makes sense once you think about it. You've had access to your checked luggage (in order to take it through customs personally) and could have taken an item that is allowed in checked luggage out of your bags and put it in your carry-on.

But I do agree that some airports handle re-screening of arriving international passengers better than others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.