Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible clues to US liquidation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by marlin
Jeff

I'm in your shoes by a few days with a family of four. Planning to go to Nassau on Jan 15 and return on the 18th. I really don't want to get stranded either.

What's our backup?
You don't want to get stranded in Nassau?

Old Jan 4, 2005, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Do we really need a new thread each day on the impending demise of US?

Might time be better spent figuring out how to re-book your trips, obtain refunds, and perhaps an eye towards finding a status match from one of the surviving carriers?

We already know where all of the regulars stand on this issue, so why waste more time beating a dead horse?
IMHO, "re-book your trips, obtain refunds, and perhaps an eye towards finding a status match" are also all horses already beaten dead on multiple threads.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:05 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by jwhite4
Similarly, I'm sure Southwest would love to expand at PHL. They have 4 gates at E concourse and 2 in D, you'd almost wonder if they wouldn't look to take over all of either B or C, or maybe both. I think SW came to PHL partly as a defensive measure to keep JetBlue from expanding into there, with US gone there would probably be enough slots for both airlines.

The looser at PHL would certainly be F terminal (I think 100% US commuter flights, not likely to be picked up by anyone), and the international departures out of A terminal.

Jeff
Southwest said a few months ago that they want to pick up quite a few gates at PHL. But with the recent addition of the gates at MDW, they may be overstrecthing just a bit.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It has just been mentioned that when the judge rules on Thursday, that the mechanics union may take some sort of action on Friday. For those traveling that morning, Im wondering what concerns there may be for flight plans. or if there is little chance of a strike...
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by prhs1989
Southwest said a few months ago that they want to pick up quite a few gates at PHL. But with the recent addition of the gates at MDW, they may be overstrecthing just a bit.
hmm... could a sign of impending doom be the annoucement of WN moving into PIT? I hear the vultures circling.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:36 am

Programs: DM Silver
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
IMHO, "re-book your trips, obtain refunds, and perhaps an eye towards finding a status match" are also all horses already beaten dead on multiple threads.
ClueByFour: could we make this thread as well as this one stickies?

It seems there are quite a number of concerned DMers who are being curtly pointed to "other threads" for info.

(Most of said 5-6 post threads being mainly comprised of DMers who are being curtly pointed to "other threads" for info. )
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:10 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Their major competitor reduces fares across the board, driving down USAirways yields,

AND

Another major competitor cherry picks some of their highest revenue customers in a fortress hub.

Oh wait, Chicken Little, the sky really is falling at USAirways

(Answer Key: Delta Simplifares and Southwest in PIT)
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:46 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by amartin1979
hmm... could a sign of impending doom be the annoucement of WN moving into PIT? I hear the vultures circling.
The vultures are circling, but the airline will not die. If US somehow escapes this month, I see other airlines trying to take them out at the knees. Southwest at PIT and PHL. I wouldn't be surprised to see another airline try for Charlotte.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (home of the "Comfort Mileage Run")
Originally Posted by prhs1989
The vultures are circling, but the airline will not die. If US somehow escapes this month, I see other airlines trying to take them out at the knees. Southwest at PIT and PHL. I wouldn't be surprised to see another airline try for Charlotte.
Financially sick airlines are like zombies. It will take quite a few silver bullets or stakes through the heart to finish them off. Re CLT, it wouldn't surprise me if Southwest goes after US there, after their attacks at BWI, PHL and now PIT. That's assuming that the PIT deal isn't the coup de grace (or the xmas luggage fiasco).
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AuAAdvantage
Financially sick airlines are like zombies. It will take quite a few silver bullets or stakes through the heart to finish them off. Re CLT, it wouldn't surprise me if Southwest goes after US there, after their attacks at BWI, PHL and now PIT. That's assuming that the PIT deal isn't the coup de grace (or the xmas luggage fiasco).
Charlotte issues:

1.) WN is in a way moving into CLT already with there take-over of ATA (the only exsisting low-fare carrier in CLT).

2.) The advantage of CLT as a hub will not diminish with a small low-fare precense. Yes it will lower fares on those routes but US still monopolizes an enormous amount of connecting traffic from really small places which will never have low-fare service. CLT is a functional hub in a great location with an outstanding route system.

3.) Lack of gate capacity for a large WN expansion. US has maxed out B, C, D & E in CLT. There are 8 or 9 gates on the A concourse, all being used by majors who have only 1 or 2 a piece and wouldn't give them up.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sts603
Charlotte issues:

1.) WN is in a way moving into CLT already with there take-over of ATA (the only exsisting low-fare carrier in CLT).

WN does not have access to CLT through ATA, ATA stopped flying to CLT last week!! Just wanted to make sure people have the correct information.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by RICflyer
Just wanted to make sure people have the correct information.
This is a speculation and mis-information thread only.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by RICflyer
WN does not have access to CLT through ATA, ATA stopped flying to CLT last week!! Just wanted to make sure people have the correct information.
Haha - ok I guess that was a bad point then. Thanks for the correction - with more PHL-BNA service (up to 5x daily from 2x a couple of years ago) I'm able to avoid CLT and haven't been there in months. Not that PHL is better than CLT - it's just my usual destination.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:59 am
Suspended

FWIW, I just read that WN is not the only LCC eye PIT. Supposedly, Air Tran is to make an announcement quite soon that they will flying into/out of PIT according to a local Pit paper.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
FWIW, I just read that WN is not the only LCC eye PIT. Supposedly, Air Tran is to make an announcement quite soon that they will flying into/out of PIT according to a local Pit paper.
Am I missing something? Airtran already flies out of PIT. I think they go to ATL and FLL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.