Wiki Posts
Search

Possible clues to US liquidation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:28 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
While I am still somewhat hopeful that US will avoid liquidation, I would expect very few clues that anything is in the works. I would expect that if there is a shutdown, it would occur in the early morning hours once the US bound European flights are off the ground and headed for home, which would be around 6am Eastern, with a lot of ferry flights taking place getting planes and crews from out stations back to the hubs. Whatever happens, it will come fast and without much in the way of warning.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:39 am

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
Although my memory may be faulty, it seems that Lakefield made a promise
soon after filing chapter 22, that liquidation would be orderly and there would
be advance notice.

Does anybody remember or have a copy of this?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:02 am
Suspended

Who would most likely pick up the LaGuardia shuttle routes and the LaGuardia terminal?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by nancy61
Who would most likely pick up the LaGuardia shuttle routes and the LaGuardia terminal?
I know AirTran is a very likely contender for BOS. I would assume they'll be looking at LGA as well.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:45 am

Programs: US1, NW, AA, SPG...
Originally Posted by sheepherder
Although my memory may be faulty, it seems that Lakefield made a promise
soon after filing chapter 22, that liquidation would be orderly and there would
be advance notice.

Does anybody remember or have a copy of this?
I wouldn't believe it even if he did say that - besides, if it turns out that he wasn't telling the truth what are us customers to do about it? Stop flying USAir? I'd doubt that the final decision is up to him, and management's fiduciary responsibility is to debtholders more than customers. If an abrupt shutdown yields higher returns to the debtholders, he's obligated to pursue it.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear

Ansett, I booked a flight 5 days from the end with 24 hours notice, and noticed that the whole day had flights across the board at $100.00 which was the usual low fare for that route, plane was over 80% full, so the airline must have been desperate, I think Qantas was double, $180-$200, Most of Ansetts flights were cheaper than the low cost carrier Virgin Blue.
Ansett, had a work colleague fly ansett a day before shutdown, he flew Thursday, they shutdown Friday morning, he said there was no food onboard, Australia had reasonable food offerrings but this flight had none,
Ansett, a big event, Ansett was Sept 11,
Ansett, you couldn't get insurance on flights a few days from the end.
Ansett, Qantas didn't want to buy them for a $1.00
Qantas NZ, no food onboard again.

Don't ask the staff they probably be the last to know. Ansett were still taking bookings about an hour before the shutdown.
Yes, I remember this quite well. I received a notice under my door at the Brisbane Marriott that Ansett had ceased operations, so I had to find another way back to Sydney. When I called my corporate travel department, they refused to re-book my return on Qantas because their computer was still showing Ansett as operating on schedule. They also didn't consider my situation an "exception to policy" (thereby warranting an itinerary change) because I was scheduled to fly back to the U.S. on September 16, and they were concerned with employees who were "truly" stranded due to the events of 9/11. It took about 5-6 hours for them to verify that Ansett had indeed shut down.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:02 am

On a semi-related note, does anyone envision USAir doing an ATA-type move, and try to sell off parts of it's company, and remain operational, before a full shutdown? Or is US too big that carving up pieces of it couldn't occur until at least a complete outright purchase was considered?

Jeff
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Should I be concerned for a flight I have booked this Friday? Might something happen after the judge's decision? or are things pretty safe until mid-Jan.?

Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:07 pm

Booked or travelling? I think some other 'important dates' thread mentioned Jan 15 or so as the date either one of the unions agrees to reduced wages, or a judge could possibly throw out the previous collective-bargaining agreeement. I hope those are the right dates, I'm scheduled to return to PHL from Nassau on Friday the 14th, and although I'm sure it's a nice place, I really don't want to be stranded there.

Jeff
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:24 pm

Jeff

I'm in your shoes by a few days with a family of four. Planning to go to Nassau on Jan 15 and return on the 18th. I really don't want to get stranded either.

What's our backup?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I know AirTran is a very likely contender for BOS. I would assume they'll be looking at LGA as well.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:46 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Jetblue and American both want the shuttle, along with airtran. The terminal would go back to Continental.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by marlin
Jeff

I'm in your shoes by a few days with a family of four. Planning to go to Nassau on Jan 15 and return on the 18th. I really don't want to get stranded either.

What's our backup?
Service between Nassau (and PHL) is provided by US, AA, CO, DL, NW, Air Canada, and AirTran. First thing I would try is if another carrier is honoring the $25/segment fee if your original carrier stops flying. If that doesn't fly, I'd see how much each might charge for a one-way ticket back home.

My last (and hopefully best) option would be use FF miles. Ideal would be a one-way standard award on NW (think 17500 FFM), worst case 70k for a choice/rulebuster award (on DL/NW/CO).

Jeff
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by prhs1989
Jetblue and American both want the shuttle, along with airtran. The terminal would go back to Continental.
Similarly, I'm sure Southwest would love to expand at PHL. They have 4 gates at E concourse and 2 in D, you'd almost wonder if they wouldn't look to take over all of either B or C, or maybe both. I think SW came to PHL partly as a defensive measure to keep JetBlue from expanding into there, with US gone there would probably be enough slots for both airlines.

The looser at PHL would certainly be F terminal (I think 100% US commuter flights, not likely to be picked up by anyone), and the international departures out of A terminal.

Jeff
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Do we really need a new thread each day on the impending demise of US?

Might time be better spent figuring out how to re-book your trips, obtain refunds, and perhaps an eye towards finding a status match from one of the surviving carriers?

We already know where all of the regulars stand on this issue, so why waste more time beating a dead horse?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.