JetBlue?

Old Dec 26, 04, 11:41 am
pgalore

JetBlue?

Not to rain on anyone's parade by guessing who might step in to take remaining business from US on the East Coast, but who do we think will be the most likely prospects?

In the Southeast, both Jetblue and United could have a stronger presense, but JetBlue is obviously more financially capable of picking up the slack.

PS - when responding, indicate how many miles you have left on US.

Old Dec 26, 04, 12:02 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
There's nothing obvious in this business.
Old Dec 26, 04, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MR Gld; Hertz 5*), AA 2MM, SPG LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
JetBlue doesn't have the planes, the crews, the hub or the business model to replace US Air. If this had been a year from now, they still wouldn't have the hub or the business model, even once their EMB-190s come on line.

When US Air goes (and the last 72 hours have moved that from "if" to "when"), I wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of cities lose their scheduled air service - or all service except 1-2x daily to ORD & ATL.
Old Dec 26, 04, 12:49 pm

Expect Southwest to cherry pick us routes won, out in mdw on ata loss. International routes not so sure maybe split between other majors out of IAD,NWK,JFK, until someone fills the void at PHL dont think any takers on US baggage handlers.
Old Dec 26, 04, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold
Smile

I was hoping JetBlue would take over from US, but I agree Southwest is in better position to take over.
Old Dec 26, 04, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by olde hornet
I was hoping JetBlue would take over from US, but I agree Southwest is in better position to take over.
I dread either of them. Won't fly them. SW would definitly increase PHL flights but would not take over US's route system. US flies to many cities SW doesn't serve and don't fit within it's business model. JetBlue maybe would come in but again - limited routes. AirTran would probably add as well. PHL would probably loose hub status though - no major has the ability to come in and take up where US left off. I would expect an increased presence from the remaining 5 legacies. There would have to be - there's business and they need it. I am one of those who will not fly LCC's. Just praying US makes it through.
Old Dec 26, 04, 2:30 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by sts603
I dread either of them. Won't fly them. SW would definitly increase PHL flights but would not take over US's route system. US flies to many cities SW doesn't serve and don't fit within it's business model. JetBlue maybe would come in but again - limited routes. AirTran would probably add as well. PHL would probably loose hub status though - no major has the ability to come in and take up where US left off. I would expect an increased presence from the remaining 5 legacies. There would have to be - there's business and they need it. I am one of those who will not fly LCC's. Just praying US makes it through.
I agree, PHL will no longer be a hub - SW will expand its operations and the rest of the gates will be split amongst the rest of the airlines that fly in to PHL.
Old Dec 26, 04, 7:18 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Originally Posted by fazak38
Expect Southwest to cherry pick us routes won, out in mdw on ata loss. International routes not so sure maybe split between other majors out of IAD,NWK,JFK, until someone fills the void at PHL dont think any takers on US baggage handlers.
I heard that at one point NW was interested in the international routes from PHL (to the point of having planes ready to pick up the routes if US shut down), though I don't know if that's to route from PHL or just the various landing slots at the European airports. Since then NW joined SkyTeam and KLM merged with AF, so that might not be nearly as interesting to them as before.
Old Dec 26, 04, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by CO FF
JetBlue doesn't have the planes, the crews, the hub or the business model to replace US Air. If this had been a year from now, they still wouldn't have the hub or the business model, even once their EMB-190s come on line.

When US Air goes (and the last 72 hours have moved that from "if" to "when"), I wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of cities lose their scheduled air service - or all service except 1-2x daily to ORD & ATL.
Don't know much about the EMB's that US has, but B6 does fly A320 and not knowing the numbers that US has in their fleet that would be a good fit for B6. Now of course the A320's are similar to the A319 just capacity differences so in reality with the 319/320's there would be a very good fit for B6 sans of course that US has them configured for two class service without the fancy TV system that B6 has but that can be retrofitted on the aircraft.

So, I would not count B6 out of the cherry picking of US if and when the do need to liquidate.
Old Dec 26, 04, 7:38 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
No current airline will "take over" or purchase USAirways. US Airways, as a business entity is a failure and a money pit.

Absorb US in whole....NO.

Cherry Pick the profitable routes....YES.
Old Dec 26, 04, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HPTunco
No current airline will "take over" or purchase USAirways. US Airways, as a business entity is a failure and a money pit.

Agreed. However, win the bidding is over and and the dust is settled. Southwest will get PHL,CLT and Continental will get LGA (back) and DCA.
Old Dec 26, 04, 9:17 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by HPTunco

I agree
Old Dec 26, 04, 10:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: B6 Mosaic, United Premier 1K,Alaska MVP Gold,American AAdvantage Gold,Virgin America Elevate Gold
JetBlue willl take the LaGuardia terminal. They are running out of room at JFK, and have already put some Florida flights at LGA. Most carriers believe CLT is too small. Not enough dedicated traffic. Take the connecting passengers out, and it's just another nice, mid sized station. Delta will be the big winner from that, as the pressure comes off ATL, and they go back to screwing the residents of the southeastern USA, a practice they have perfected over the years. That will give AirTran a chance to raise its prices, and still be a little cheaper. Nobody will want the PHL hub. For openers, it's too close to NYC, and BWI. There's still an outside chance they cut an ATA type deal with somebody like
Southwest, but all that amounts to is a phased liquidation. It's more than a little ironic that the whacked operation at Philly has landed them on the front page of the Sunday New York Times, and triggered serious government scrutiny. I have said from the beginning that failure to bring that place under control would do them in.

Last edited by deelmakur; Dec 26, 04 at 10:12 pm
Old Dec 26, 04, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by deelmakur
JetBlue willl take the LaGuardia terminal. They are running out of room at JFK, and have already put some Florida flights at LGA. Most carriers believe CLT is too small. Not enough dedicated traffic. Take the connecting passengers out, and it's just another nice, mid sized station. Delta will be the big winner from that, as the pressure comes off ATL, and they go back to screwing the residents of the southeastern USA, a practice they have perfected over the years. That will give AirTran a chance to raise its prices, and still be a little cheaper. Nobody will want the PHL hub. For openers, it's too close to NYC, and BWI. There's still an outside chance they cut an ATA type deal with somebody like
Southwest, but all that amounts to is a phased liquidation. It's more than a little ironic that the whacked operation at Philly has landed them on the front page of the Sunday New York Times, and triggered serious government scrutiny. I have said from the beginning that failure to bring that place under control would do them in.

Yes, failure to control PHL is the final straw that broke the preverbial camel's back, although it started with overpaying for PI back in 1987.

However, I believe that before it is over, US will sell the LGA assets to Virgin America - in an ATA type deal.
Old Dec 26, 04, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL UA and HH
[QUOTE=deelmakur]JetBlue willl take the LaGuardia terminal. They are running out of room at JFK, and have already put some Florida flights at LGA.

Only if CO sub-lents it to them,as they where forced to due with US when they were in BK years ago. Given the hold it would now afford them on NYC today when combined with EWR I doubt CO plans anything other than a swift flood of ERJs and 737s.

Search this Thread