Wiki Posts
Search

What will hapen if FA stike

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2004, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USairways Silver, NWA, AA
What will hapen if FA stike

No USairways planes flying during striking?

Then, USairways disappear and futrue reservation all gone?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:52 pm

If FA strike, *A has one less member.

USAir planes will fly, but only to Mojave.

Tix will probably be honored by many airlines.

I predict no strike and long profitable future for USAir.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:17 pm

Programs: US1
I just read on some article yesterday that congress has extended that law saying that any airline that goes ch 7 the other airlines have to honor the ticket for 50 dollars. Bush is expected to sign it. I wish I would have saved the link.

T
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:59 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Sure FAs are getting worse and worse pay/benefits and striking would bring attention, but if USAir FAs strike that would devastate the whole company. Why bring down the whole company? (I guess the strike would benefit FAs at other airlines?)
BTW, any FAs out there know if a FA working on say, WN or F9 is paid less (cash & benefits) than a major carrier?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:44 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by bursa
Sure FAs are getting worse and worse pay/benefits and striking would bring attention, but if USAir FAs strike that would devastate the whole company. Why bring down the whole company? (I guess the strike would benefit FAs at other airlines?)
BTW, any FAs out there know if a FA working on say, WN or F9 is paid less (cash & benefits) than a major carrier?
You are talking union mentality - it’s a different animal all together. See Eastern Airlines - if you want to see union mentality. They refuse to see the truth and in their minds its better unemployed than having a job.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 5:38 am

I have to fly US on the 30th of December. I'm thinking of cancelling my reservation and rebooking on another airline to Philadelphia. Do the other airlines HAVE to honor my ticket on US? I sure hope so, what should I do guys??
Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:08 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
Originally Posted by US757Flyer
I have to fly US on the 30th of December. I'm thinking of cancelling my reservation and rebooking on another airline to Philadelphia. Do the other airlines HAVE to honor my ticket on US? I sure hope so, what should I do guys??
Look - your Dec. 30 ticket is probably safe. The FAs will not start up CHOAS until such time as Judge Mitchell decides to abrogate the union contracts. He's indicated that there will not be a ruling until the New Year. So, there should be no issues with year-end travel.

On the whole strike thing - CHAOS was threatened back in 2000 until the airline and the FAs agreed to a new contract. The impact of the threat was brutal on US (although probably nothing like the impact of Dr. Bronner's idiotic comments, or the progress of the case through the Bankruptcy Court). Does anyone remember the double miles incentives US had to use to lure fliers back? This time, CHAOS could take the airline down, and I wonder if that's what AFA really wants. And if it's what AFA wants, will US's FAs want that?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:15 am

Programs: US1
I think you will be safe honestly. But no one really knows what is going to happen until it actually happens.

High noon has come and gone so many times and US is still here.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:03 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by olde hornet
You are talking union mentality - it’s a different animal all together. See Eastern Airlines - if you want to see union mentality. They refuse to see the truth and in their minds its better unemployed than having a job.
Umm, Lorenzo was barred from ever running an airline again after Eastern--you don't suppose that had something to do with it, do you?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:14 am

On my return tirp from NRT on Jan 11, I had a flight on United booked through UA. I just a couple days ago got a call saying that flight had been cancelled and I was rebooked on a UA flight, and I needed to go to the airport soon and get my ticket book reissued. I wonder if I can get them to put me on something else?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
I just read on some article yesterday that congress has extended that law saying that any airline that goes ch 7 the other airlines have to honor the ticket for 50 dollars. Bush is expected to sign it. I wish I would have saved the link.
Here's one article on the topic: http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuot...8582047_newsml
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Considering US does not fly to NRT (provided you mean Narita, Japan) you should be fine and if you are all on UA then you have no problem.

UA may not be making as loud noises as US, but I think UA is in serious trouble too.

Originally Posted by chuckd
On my return tirp from NRT on Jan 11, I had a flight on United booked through UA. I just a couple days ago got a call saying that flight had been cancelled and I was rebooked on a UA flight, and I needed to go to the airport soon and get my ticket book reissued. I wonder if I can get them to put me on something else?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 2:50 pm

I just saw I hit 'a' instead of 's'. I should have proofread and been more clear. The rest of my flights are on LH. I just have a short Chicago-ATL that is being rebooked on US, instead of UA, in mid January.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Why did we point ICBMs at the USSR during the cold war? Was it because we wanted to use them? No. It was because doing so changed their behavior.

A strike at USAir would be pretty close to the mutually assured destruction of the cold war. The intent is not to destroy the airline, the intent is to change management's behavior. Specifically, the F/As want to negotiate any changes in their contract, they don't want the courts to throw it out in it's entirety.

If the USSR had launch their ICBMs at us would we have retaliated? Probably. They didn't because, in part, they were convinced that we would.

Will USAir managment stick to their strategy to have the courts throw out the labor contracts if they beleive that the result will be mutually assured destruction? I guess we'll find out...
Old Dec 14, 2004, 7:47 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
I hadn't noticed the decline in US's service and amenities until I flew internationally with another carrier (SAS) this week. A considerable difference in well maintained (clean) aircraft and with cheerful/professional service (the food was actually good too). I flew in economy class on a $575 ticket.......so the price was also right!

I don't chastise the USAirway employees for less than standard performance recently. It is unbelieveable what they have been through. I can't say that I'd be any more cheerful in the same circumstances than they are right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.