Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stranded overnight in PHL. Compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:42 pm
SK
Original Poster

Stranded overnight in PHL. Compensation?

I usually fly AA, so I am not familiar with USAirways' habits on this matter: A friend of mine was flying LGA-PHL-Cancun today, but was stranded in PHL due to the weather problems reported in many threads here already. His LGA flight departed with a 3 hour delay, landing in PHL 5 minutes before the Cancun departure. He was reassigned on a flight for Thursday morning (via CLT).
So now he is staying overnight in PHL, and US is not paying for the hotel, as the delay was weather related. The thing is, by the time his flight from LGA was about to depart, he obviously suspeced that time was running out for his connection. So he told the US agents in LGA that if he were not going to make the Cancun flight, he might as well stay in NYC, where he lives, and be rebooked for Thursday. No, the agent said. It's tight, but you'll definitely make it. So he took the flight against his own better judgement, following the gate agent's advice. Now he has to pay ~$100 for a hotel.
Do you think he has any claim for some compensation?
Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:55 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
If US wasn't going to pick up the tab (it was weather related, so they are not obligated), he should have asked the gate agent for a list of hotels with distressed passenger rates or had the GA book it for him. Usually these rates are in the $40-50 range as opposed to the $100ish he's probably paying.

After your friend returns, I would definitely file a letter with Consumer Affairs, as he did "volunteer" to stay in NY, but the GA there didn't listen to him.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:46 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Agree with Jim. If he had gotten to PHL and then realized he was going to be stranded due to wx, then its all on him for getting a hotel with US possibly being able to give him a distressed pax rate. But since he inquired in NYC and they told him he'd make it, then I'd definitely take that up with CR once he gets back.

-JC
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:51 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
BUT if the GA in NY thought he would make it but weather made it impossible, it is hardly his or her fault.

The general rule is if it's mother nature then you're on your own. If it's our fault (ie misconnects or mechanical), we'll take care of you.

Back in the day, airlines took care of passengers regardless, but with a bankrupt airline, that's not going to happen.

It sounds like the passenger could have demanded rebooking because of the POTENTIAL for a mis-connect or weather cancellation. But since these things are hard to predict, it is the Ticket or Gate Agent's job to send him on if there's the slightest chance he'll make the flight.

I remember flying DL from DFW to TYS a few years back. It was during the big blizzard (99 maybe) that closed DTW, STL, CVG, MSP, and ORD. My flight was delayed because my flight crew was stuck in ORD. We had to wait on a new flight crew. The way things were going, I was going to miss my ATL connection. However, the GA at DFW sent me on because there was a CHANCE that the connecting flight would be late. This was despite the fact that ATL said not to send any more passengers who would be stranded to them because there was no more hotel space.

I abided by what the GA said. I got to ATL, and my connecting flight was delayed by 2 hours. I was lucky, but I was also told that it was policy to send passengers through if there was the slightest chance that they'd make their connection. True, this was a DL flight, but I think the policy seems very universal from airline to airline.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 8:01 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Jim,

If US wasn't going to pick up the tab he should have asked the gate agent for a list of hotels with distressed passenger rates or had the GA book it for him. Usually these rates are in the $40-50 range as opposed to the $100ish he's probably paying.

Could you or others elaborate a little more about this distressed passenger hotel list. You're saying that the airlines keep a list of hotels with lower rates for pax who get hung up at airports?

So if one is caught up in a missed connection situation prior to departure, the GA at the point of departure could either provide names of hotels with lower rates AND place a reservation prior to take off?

Has anyone done this with US and would most major US departure points have these lists?

It's a good thing to keep in the back of one's mind when traveling, as sooner or later, a trip has to go wrong and you need all the help you can get.

Barry

BTW, I think that the GA missed the boat when the pax offered to rebook for the next day and remain at his home airport. This would have been the best solution.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:25 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
Jim,

If US wasn't going to pick up the tab he should have asked the gate agent for a list of hotels with distressed passenger rates or had the GA book it for him. Usually these rates are in the $40-50 range as opposed to the $100ish he's probably paying.

Could you or others elaborate a little more about this distressed passenger hotel list. You're saying that the airlines keep a list of hotels with lower rates for pax who get hung up at airports?

So if one is caught up in a missed connection situation prior to departure, the GA at the point of departure could either provide names of hotels with lower rates AND place a reservation prior to take off?
First, my advice is to not ask for this unless the GA and you have decided you aren't going to make the flight and they have reaccommodated you on other flights.

That said, it's a simple question to the GA... "Can you help me get a room as a distressed passenger? I'm willing to pay for it."

You may not always be able to get help as there may not be rooms available. Read this thread that I started in July where the wonderful guys in LAS came up with a creative solution when rooms didn't exist. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340178

This is a situation that we don't like to think about, but if you have a game plan in the back of your mind it makes things easier once you have to use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.