Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Staged(?) Slow Down in PHL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2004, 3:49 pm

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
...and the operational meltdown continues.

Sorry folks, but I need to fly an airline that is reliable and will get me to where I'm going on a set schedule, within reason. US has not been that airline to/fro Philly as of late. Arriving "eventually" is not acceptable.

Can't wait to February when even more flights are going to be added...
Old Nov 9, 2004, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Arrzee
...and the operational meltdown continues.

Sorry folks, but I need to fly an airline that is reliable and will get me to where I'm going on a set schedule, within reason. US has not been that airline to/fro Philly as of late. Arriving "eventually" is not acceptable.

Can't wait to February when even more flights are going to be added...
Please consider giving US Airways another chance. This is just a temporary tough bump. Remember: US Airways begins with U.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:35 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by www.iflyswa.com
Please consider giving US Airways another chance. This is just a temporary tough bump. Remember: US Airways begins with U.
First the Redsocks win the series and now, are my eyes deceiving me or are you, mr iflysomeelse, saying somthing nice about US Airways. Will wonders never cease?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:58 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by DENPremEx
The first part of your email seems to conflict with the bitter second part of your email. I'll take 20 UPS employees and they could handle 7 gates or even more (a UPS loader has to load 700+ boxes an hour and an unloader has to unload 1,200 boxes an hour for 3 - 4 hours straight). You're right, there are other jobs out there so go find one. If anyone didn't think US was toast before have you changed your mind now?
Apples and oranges--UPS folks are unloading an aircraft specifically set to take pallets of cargo or putting it into a truck or moving boxes in an environment involving belts and loaders that is specifically designed to move boxes.

This is drastically different than odd shaped luggage coming out of the cargo bin on a passenger aircraft.

The problem is that US management who schedules the aircraft do not seem to talk to the folks who schedule the people to load and unload the aircraft.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:40 am

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Apples and oranges--UPS folks are unloading an aircraft specifically set to take pallets of cargo or putting it into a truck or moving boxes in an environment involving belts and loaders that is specifically designed to move boxes.

This is drastically different than odd shaped luggage coming out of the cargo bin on a passenger aircraft.

The problem is that US management who schedules the aircraft do not seem to talk to the folks who schedule the people to load and unload the aircraft.

I believe you misunderstood me. I was referring to a UPS sorting facility and the loading and unloading of boxes on to a conveyor belt out of a tractor trailer. Yes, its somewhat different BUT if you ever have the opportunity to visit a UPS sorting facility you will understand exactly what I'm referring to. I have seen to many ramp workers standing around with their thumbs up their @sses and UPS loaders/unloaders are always hustling. UPS loaders/unloaders are also unionized. This is not a personaly commentary on US ramp workers but an observation that these people don't know what work is (at least compared UPS workers).
Old Nov 11, 2004, 7:00 pm

Programs: United Gold
I dont doubt any of these instances are staged, but in a broader sense why does anyone in management get surprised when massive numbers of employees now call in sick regularly? Aside from not wanting to go to work, or seeking interviews elsewhere, many of the employees are going to lose large amounts of accumulated earned (paid) sick time - or worse - lose their jobs entirely with no compensation for this earned benefit.

CWA employees (and I think other unions) are allowed 5 "instances" of illness per year. Doesnt matter if its a half-day stomachache, or a weeklong bout of the flu. More than 5 instances and youre in deep doo-doo (and nowadays, probably out of a job). So there's actually incentive now to call in sick for a whole week and use up 40 hours of sick time.

Its USE IT OR LOSE IT.

There are senior employees - those being asked to take the biggest hits - who will lose more than a thousand hours of earned sick time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.