US Airways employees have already given up

Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:07 am

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
i know that many people are disgruntled with voice prompts and hold music especially. i think more companies should follow U's lead and get away with hold music by just hanging up on their customers
i personally have been victim of this many many times before. its annoying and bad business. i was trying to change an award ticket last minute, and the very last thing i needed to be doing was redialing and going through the key commands every five minutes. bravo US! Bravo...
Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
(Not sure how chicagorich is contributing to the thread on attitude though.)
I am afraid I do not understand your meaning...?
Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:27 am

Programs: US1
I just flew back from MAD PHL and then PHL DCA yesterday and the service was outstanding.

The agent in Philly were under a lot of pressure yesterday with the huge backups at Philly with the remains of the hurricane being in the area. I was shocked that the agents in the gate area did not lose their cool a few times due to the fact that many passengers were a little upset their flight was delayed. I was like what is wrong with these people. Anyone could look out the glass and see that the rain was coming down sideways.

T
Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Robt760
Let me just say this:

Your attitude determines your altitude.

I have found that being demanding, pushy, mean spirited, impatient and use of any four-letter words with any Customer Service Agent at the airport, hotel etc will pretty much win you more frustration and the possibility of not getting what you might want.

On the other hand, if you carry yourself professionally and not EXPECT things, begin your conversation with Hello, Hi There, Good Day (as opposed to any sentence starting with "I") say thanks in a meaninful tone, use phrases like "would it be possible, is there a chance, can you see if" etc smile when speaking, be dressed appropriately, I can guarantee you (any of you) you will be treated well and maybe that agent will do something nice for you for being that one guest/customer/passenger that took the time to be NICE to them. It's worked wonders for me.

Watch a few episodes of that Airport Reality show with this in mind and you'll see how all of these "mean spirited" people are creating a frenzie for everyone to be downright nasty...and there's just no call for it.

In RE: US Airways, they're under alot of pressure to keep a positive image even though the media and press is focusing only on negative information. Imagine yourself in their shoes...they're doing a pretty darn good job with the hand they are dealt with. I have confidence they will make it through all of this.Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude
I agree completely. There is absolutely no need to use four letter words even if one is having a bad day. Even if it has hit the fan, take a deep breeath and reengage with the world with a positive mental attitude!
Old Sep 29, 2004, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Thumbs up Consumer Affairs vs. DM "Certificate of Excellence"

Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
To anyone who does not have a comment card and wishes to give a comment about a flight or a particular employee either call Consumer Affairs toll free at 866.523.5333 or you can do it on the US Airways website at http://www.usairways.com/dm/er1

Actually, those are two seperate recognition systems. As we were informed at RoachFest, the cards in the Attache magazine (or an email/call to CA) go further in recognizing exceptional service than do the Dividend Miles "Certificates of Excellence." I forget the details, but I think the Consumer Affairs comments are all followed up on and placed in the employees files, while the DM program is for a drawing or award of some sort.

I'll go ahead and chime in here that my recent encounters with US employees have all been very pleasant. In fact, one of the nicest and most attentive FAs I've encountered was on a CLT-SXM flight last weekend. She has been with US for over 25 years, has two kids to support, is worried about her future, and yet still took great pride in her work. We talked a bit about the current state of affairs (as well as which beaches to hit!) and ended with many thanks and a big hug from my FA and First Officer as I exited the cabin!
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:34 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by chicagorich
I am afraid I do not understand your meaning...?
Your points, while valid, seemed better placed elsewhere on another thread as they did not address employees' attitudes, the topic of this thread.

It was interesting point, nonetheless, but may more along the lines of the many "when will US fail and why" threads.

No offense intended.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Robt760
Let me just say this:

Your attitude determines your altitude.

I have found that being demanding, pushy, mean spirited, impatient and use of any four-letter words with any Customer Service Agent at the airport, hotel etc will pretty much win you more frustration and the possibility of not getting what you might want.

On the other hand, if you carry yourself professionally and not EXPECT things, begin your conversation with Hello, Hi There, Good Day (as opposed to any sentence starting with "I") say thanks in a meaninful tone, use phrases like "would it be possible, is there a chance, can you see if" etc smile when speaking, be dressed appropriately, I can guarantee you (any of you) you will be treated well and maybe that agent will do something nice for you for being that one guest/customer/passenger that took the time to be NICE to them. It's worked wonders for me.

[/SIZE]
I'm not sure who you're referring to. But I'll reiterate that I err on the side of being nice to airline employees not just because it is the right thing to do, but I appreciate what they're up against and I'm grateful for a job well done. But I'm put off when the default attitude is hostility at the outset, which has prevailed at most of my US experiences in the last year or so.
As for those of you who have received exceptional service, bully for you. But from my vantage point that's all it is, an exception. I suspect there are a lot of US employees who give/gave a damn. But I also suspect a lot of them have been furloughed.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:38 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by shell nyc
Actually, those are two seperate recognition systems. As we were informed at RoachFest, the cards in the Attache magazine (or an email/call to CA) go further in recognizing exceptional service than do the Dividend Miles "Certificates of Excellence." I forget the details, but I think the Consumer Affairs comments are all followed up on and placed in the employees files, while the DM program is for a drawing or award of some sort.
While not disagreeing with you one bit, shell nyc, I have asked f/a's in the past which card they prefer I send in on their behalf and each time have been told they prefer I use the Certificates of Excellence. They feel it has more weight, as they're only made available to preferred members.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your points, while valid, seemed better placed elsewhere on another thread as they did not address employees' attitudes, the topic of this thread.

It was interesting point, nonetheless, but may more along the lines of the many "when will US fail and why" threads.

No offense intended.
------------------------------------

The thread started out as a criticism of US employee hostility and poor attitudes towards customers.

The info that I posted--as it indicated at the end of the info--asked the question--why would US employees believe that US management could do better now given the cost structure that exists-- and then agree to salary cuts

I think that is appropriate to the discussion of why/if the employee attitude and morale has or has not suffered, IMHO.

I have not taken a US flight recently, so I have no first hand info to offer as to employee attitude.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
While not disagreeing with you one bit, shell nyc, I have asked f/a's in the past which card they prefer I send in on their behalf and each time have been told they prefer I use the Certificates of Excellence. They feel it has more weight, as they're only made available to preferred members.
Thanks for the clarification. Guess it wouldn't hurt to send in both aye?
Old Sep 29, 2004, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
uh...no

Originally Posted by murrayhill
Not bad, but for her two-hour delay, could they give her a courtesy pass to the club?
"Sorry, that's the one thing I can't do."
Sure you can, you just didn't want to be bothered.
No...they can't.

I worked in Consumer Affairs at US Airways from 1997 to 2003. Neither an agent nor supervisor is permitted to issue a pass to the Club for the circumstances that you have outlined. As a member of US Airways MANAGEMENT (as a Consumer Affairs Senior Representative), *I* could not issue a pass for this circumstance.

Last edited by Randeman; Sep 30, 2004 at 3:02 pm Reason: bad grammar
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
. . . they're under alot of pressure to keep a positive image even though the media and press is focusing only on negative information. Imagine yourself in their shoes...they're doing a pretty darn good job with the hand they are dealt with. . . . Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude

Robt760,

I completely agree.

US and all of its employees are in a tough situation indeed. I'm not surprised that some of them aren't always weathering the challenge as well as others. But one must also consider how customers conducts themselves.

Each of us has a choice of how we present ourselves to others. And our decisions and actions do matter.

If we keep this in mind, then perhaps US can do something to keep flying.

Barry
Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:36 am

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by murrayhill
First off, I'm not one to automatically rag on employees. As a two-time shop steward, including at a company that went Chapter 11, I know first-hand what the average US Airways employees are experiencing. Morale is rightfully in the Dumpster. But faced with a similar situation, I knew better than to take out my frustrations on customers.
Last week, my wife got bumped from an oversold flight from LGA to Ithaca. Incredibly, they offered two vouchers to anywhere in the Continental 48 and she grabbed them. Not bad, but for her two-hour delay, could they give her a courtesy pass to the club?
"Sorry, that's the one thing I can't do."
Sure you can, you just didn't want to be bothered.
Flash forward a few days later when I attempted to book a flight using the vouchers over the phone. A snippy agent offers to connect me to "that department" and lectured me that next time I should use the phone prompt (press 5) to book flights using vouchers. Who knew there was such a thing? I haven't booked a flight over the phone in years, and never with a voucher. Would it have been so much trouble for this agent to process my request. How busy was she at midnight?
Of course, when I tried the number after first being transferred to the wrong place, a recording said something to the effect of: "Due to the increase in call volume and adverse weather conditions, our agents are assisting other customers. Please try your call later." Click.
I tried this route another 10 times before I called reservations back and got someone to help me, although she wasn't that happy about it.
When I then attempted to transfer the vouchers in person at the NYC ticket office, the snot behind the counter first tried to hit me up for 10 bucks a ticket for processing. "All the airlines are doing it now."
Duh.
But...
"I know what you're going to say."
"How about letting me finish my sentence first?" I calmly replied as I told him about the inequity of charging a fee for a ticket that I had no choice but to process in person.
Instead, he told me he'd "put a notation in the record to cover himself." No fee, but no voucher as my wife's last name (different from mine) was on both, he said she'd have to be present to sign them over. Notwithstanding the fact that they're transferable, he claimed (I believe falsely) that the transfer needed to be done in person.
Even if he is right, it was startling to have to endure the attitude he exhibited, starting off combative and being gleefully confrontational; unncessary and unwelcome.
I only fly US Airways now when I'm forced to (i.e. my company's contract for shuttle flights). Since Chapter 11 smiles have disappeared. Sullen gate agents barely acknowledge your presence. Grunts instead of thank yous. No eye contact. I don't expect them to whistle while they work. But I do expect a modicum of respect, a minimum of courtesy and some indication that they are professionals who can still take pride in a job well done.
I know what the average airline employee is going through. As such, I go out of my way to be polite and patient. Despite their circumstances, it would not be asking much to have US Airways employees reciprocate. It is one of the most vital parts of their job after all. If not, they deserve what they may inevitably get.
Don't forget this is the 3rd time employees have been through the paycut drama. I know that it is not the fault of the customer. But when one gets kicked when already down, it's a little hard to smile. A loss of $750 a MONTH does not give one a lot to smile about, and that is not a pilots loss.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If the US employees are indeed giving up, it certainly was not in evidence on our last flight yesterday FLL-DCA. The DC based crew was the most pleasant and welcoming that could it be and the service was the most attentive that we have seen on a domestic flight in years.
We are awaiting the inauguration of the FLL-LGA nonstop service and have already bought our seats for its first week.
Just a note of interest to some that on 1488/30Sep there were two air marshals in FC, both clearly visible as such. I guess the govt figures that such visibility is as good a deterrent as any other methods that they might consider.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 5:01 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I think that US has about the same mix of bad, good, and great employees that rest of the air carriers have.

And they ALL have some stupid policies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.