Search

Tell 'Em When They Do Good

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2004, 6:09 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Tell 'Em When They Do Good

or well, to use proper Engllish. I stupidly got caught up in Hurricane Frances, and made my escape via San Juan, back over Philly. I flew AA (First) from Miami, then came back up on the A330 (Envoy) out of Puerto Rico. Because of San Juan being a cheap fare market, and thanks to the help of US phone agents, it ended up only costing a couple of hundred bucks, and unlike thousands of others who were stranded, I'm able to watch my home blow away in the comfort of my summer place. Seriously, there just was no comparison between AA and US, at any level, and the AA operation at MIA almost makes Philly look civilized. I'm the first to unload when I don't like what they do, but when you see them do things right, they should be told that, too. Memo to the company. Lose the plastic cups. It sounds petty, and I don't drink much on planes, but the visual effect really degrades what otherwise is a very decent product. Perception is reality. It's why people buy real furniture for their living rooms, when they can have office waiting room stuff for a lot less.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by deelmakur
. Seriously, there just was no comparison between AA and US, at any level, and the AA operation at MIA almost makes Philly look civilized. .
Now THAT is almost as scary as a hurricane!

All kidding aside, I'm glad that your are out of harm's way.
Good luck to all of you Florida; I hope that you and your homes will be safe.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Talking

Am I alone here , or does the fact that deelmakur avoided a hurricane by flying a US A330 in an Envoy seat piss anyone else off????

Old Sep 5, 2004, 4:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Hey GEO...there were a bunch of empties in the front of that bus. Eat your heart out...
Old Sep 7, 2004, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
They Sure Done Good in Miami this weekend

What happened in MIA yesterday (Labor Day) continues to reinforce my belief that the CP desk is the best friend you could possibly have during irregular ops.

I was in Rio for the week, with a Sat return connecting in MIA. With the approach of the hurricane, Varig had cancelled GIG - MIA flights as early as Thu night, and our re-booked Sun evening flight also looked real uncertain as AA had cancelled their Sun flights and told my other friends that "Tue is the earliest we can get you out".

*Alliance parter Varig did indeed leave Sun evening - my CP companion was op-UGed to First (only one seat left) leaving me in Business (I'm told later that there's not much difference between First and Business on Varig - yeah, right.....). We arrived early Mon morning in MIA to find out that US's first flight out was not til around noon.

Waiting for us at check-in were 2 *confirmed* seats up front on the first US flight MIA - CLT since the hurricance. No fuss, no bother. And there was a horde of stand-bys later at the gate.

A friend in need is a friend indeed. Thanks again, US Airways!
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:00 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I hope everything turned out OK with your home. I've talked to several people down that way who say Palm Beach County is still a real mess -- traffic lights out, no power and so forth. From what I've heard, you were smart to get out when you did -- even if MIA-SJU-PHL is a bit circuitous.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 7:11 pm

Somebody Tell CCY Too!

Originally Posted by kudzu

Waiting for us at check-in were 2 *confirmed* seats up front on the first US flight MIA - CLT since the hurricance. No fuss, no bother. And there was a horde of stand-bys later at the gate.

A friend in need is a friend indeed. Thanks again, US Airways!
This is WHY we fly US, This is WHY we formed the "roaches", This is WHY we just don't switch.

Can someone please explain this to Jerry glass as he continues his attempt to turn all aspects of US Airways into the Wal-Mart of the air?
Old Sep 8, 2004, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Credit where due -- I just spoke to an extremely helpful and competent DM rep, who booked me some *A award travel for Nov.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.