Which is the nicest USAirways Club?

Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
DCA Club VIP Room

Has anyone been in the VIP portion of the DCA club? The entrance is usually obscured by two potted trees on the right hand side of the check-in desk. There's also an entrance on the back side of the club where the single row of cubicles is located. The agents told me that it usually only operates during the week and of course for celebs and politicians only (perhaps the occasional CCY exec as well?). Could the club within a club concept be a whole new revenue stream for the new US?
Old Aug 11, 2005, 3:43 am
ISP

Think there is any chance the LAX club with reopen in T-1 at LAX now that US/HP have hooked up? Wasn't there discussion that HP wanted it when it was a stand alone airline?
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ISP
Think there is any chance the LAX club with reopen in T-1 at LAX now that US/HP have hooked up? Wasn't there discussion that HP wanted it when it was a stand alone airline?
There were rumblings about that last year, but at the time, HP was focusing heavily on their non-stop transcons ex-LAX. They've since all but aborted on that strategy. Plus, I was never convinced the rumblings were actually coming from within the higher ranks of HP. There was a lot of wishful thinking going on by enthusiasts like us (especially those of us who have spent more time than we care to remember sitting -- or, more likely, standing -- in that dreadful bus terminal), but I never heard any evidence to suggest that HP execs were all that spun up about the idea. Perhaps they were thinking that it might be a good option if their LAX transcon routes took off like they had hoped, but of course that didn't happen.

A big club-related question for me in the upcoming merger relates to Parker's recent comment to analysts along the lines that US has cost reduction opportunities in reducing services specific to business travelers at the airports themselves. While what I read didn't specifically quote him as referring to "airport clubs," it's hard to imagine what else he would be talking about.

HP only has clubs at their two hubs -- PHX and LAS. I wonder what they'll do with the US clubs. I won't be surprised if they're whittled down considerably. If so, which ones are likely to stay and which are likely to go?
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
A big club-related question for me in the upcoming merger relates to Parker's recent comment to analysts along the lines that US has cost reduction opportunities in reducing services specific to business travelers at the airports themselves. While what I read didn't specifically quote him as referring to "airport clubs," it's hard to imagine what else he would be talking about.

HP only has clubs at their two hubs -- PHX and LAS. I wonder what they'll do with the US clubs. I won't be surprised if they're whittled down considerably. If so, which ones are likely to stay and which are likely to go?
Yes, Doug's comments as well as the fact that HP Platinums have so much trouble upgrading are big red flags for this merger as it relates to business travelers. As EnvoyBoy points out, though, no one really knows anything at this point. Let's hope they keep the best aspects of each airline's benefits, otherwise many people on this board will be posting on the DL, AA, UA, and NW boards in the coming years.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:39 pm

Sfo
Phl
Clt
Old Aug 13, 2005, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
My personal faves (1st couple are my favorites - the rest are my impressions for places I like):

CLT -at the C/D junction - big ol' room with great staff
CLT -on B - sometimes the same staff I see at the other Club - that bartenders at both clubs know me - which tells you I'm there too much, or am just memorable (yeah, right)
DCA - like the way it looks over the field and the interior of the terminal
LGA - reminds me of the UA domestic RCC at SFO (yes, not as nice, but similar)
RDU - Much better than the old club - and I like the staff
GSO - Don't get to use it as much as I used to - but like what they did with it during the major renovation
BOS - I think I always see it in some of the pages on the Club in Attache - big feel to it, plus the staff (on a Saturday afternoon) had no problems letting use the DirectTV remote to turn one of the sets to a Duke game
PHL - B/C - big as all get out - I prefer the A-West Club to that one
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:47 pm

Location: Tampa, FL , USA~ US-CP & Lifetime Club, DL-PM, CO-PE, UA-PE, AA-PLT, HH-G
Tpa Is Quite A Nice Club I Must Agree

Originally Posted by dsingerUNC
The TPA club is quite nice. It is the model picture used in the Attache magazine ads for the club.

TPA IS QUITE A NICE CLUB I MUST AGREE DCA IS A CLOSE SECOND.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shell nyc
My experiences have been completely opposite of yours. Those ladies are the best! They've gone out of their way many times to make sure I am taken care of, proactively offering solutions I wouldn't have dared ask for. They are always honest about my upgrade and standby chances, keep me informed of delays (usually personally walking over to where I'm seated)... If my travel schedule keeps me away for more than a week or two I am welcomed into the club with a "where have you been?? We've missed you!"

The club itself is decent...TMobile, view of the gates, fairly well lit...the agents are the only thing making it special.

I second that!! LGA has very friendly US Club Agents!!
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by CLTFlyer

RDU - Much better than the old club - and I like the staff
Where is the new one? I should probably know, but I just haven't noticed, probably b/c I don't go there. They need to fix up the door to the old one, it looks sloppy.

Originally Posted by CLTFlyer
BOS - I think I always see it in some of the pages on the Club in Attache - big feel to it, plus the staff (on a Saturday afternoon) had no problems letting use the DirectTV remote to turn one of the sets to a (school named removed) game
boo! boo! i assume we're not talking about saturday pm FOOTBALL games?!?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:17 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
Originally Posted by goheelswks
Where is the new one? I should probably know, but I just haven't noticed, probably b/c I don't go there. They need to fix up the door to the old one, it looks sloppy.
The new one (not so new now) is further down the concourse than the old one (looks like you've seen the old one's door). It's right across from Gate 21. The only problem is that the new club has no windows (not that there was much to look at from the old one).

Originally Posted by goheelswks
boo! boo! i assume we're not talking about saturday pm FOOTBALL games?!?
For those who missed it, the team name he removed was Duke. Goheelswks is apparently a fan of that team down 15-501 from Duke.

And no, it was a Saturday afternoon college basketball game which was an ESPN broadcast. Duke - while we still have a football team, we get all of that JP Sports noon game action (when we're on the tube). I'll say this - Bunting seems to be a nice guy, but sounds like he's perpetually on the hot seat. Roof isn't on the hot seat, since he just got there (the Carl Franks era was shall we say, underwhelming). But basketball is right around the corner and it should be an interesting year in the ACC.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
I've been flying US more lately, and I have to say the TPA Club is a reason for me to fly US instead of UA. The staff there are outstanding, and it's always easy to find a power outlet. And it's never crowded.

The worst I've visited is BOS. The lack of T-Mobile or a free alternative is outrageous. Even worse, when my flight was delayed and I asked the agent to check alternative routings (after I had waited 4 minutes for him to finish a personal call), he told me not to worry, because I would automatically be rebooked. He never even checked my itinerary. If he had, he would have realized that waiting to be rebooked would result in me getting home the next day. I guess he was too busy to be bothered. I exited the Club and an agent in the concourse checked my itinerary and protected me on another flight in case I missed my connection. The fact that I had to get an agent outside the Club to assist me is inexcusable, IMO.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
BWI has a nice expresso machine.

Convenient for UA flights, too.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:30 pm

Berna, in the PHL B/C club, is great. She is able to complete gate upgrades one hour before the flight so one does not have to do the dreaded gate dance!
Old Oct 5, 2005, 5:49 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
FB, I don't recall seeing a guy in the BOS US Club this year at all:
the women at the desk have always seemed quite agreeable and
competent about accommodating my requests. Perhaps you are
thinking of the BOS RCC, which has one particular guy who is
notoriously grouchy and incompetent, both (but, again, the
women are excellent).
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Well, it may not be the nicest club, but the LAX club sure will be a most welcome sight come 10/29!!! I wonder if they're going to renovate it, and add better lighting?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.