Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite challenge conditions met w/o flying?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2004, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *wood Gold; US Gold; Hilton Gold
Question Elite challenge conditions met w/o flying?

As a Silver, I have been targetted with a challenge of flying 10K miles or 14 segments between 3/10 and 6/10 to be upgraded to Gold.

Thanks to the IRS (I paid my taxes using my USAirways DM Platinum Visa at a cost of .0249 per mile.), I will surpass the $25K mark to qualify for 15K preferred miles when Visa (Signature) DM are posted to my FF account in early May.

I think that I should qualify for Gold status because preferred miles are preferred miles, no matter how they are earned. I do, however, recognize that the offer says "fly" 10K miles.

Do you think that the US accounting system distinguishes between "flown" preferred miles and "unflown" preferred miles?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 6:41 pm

Programs: National Rental - Executive
Sorry, but you will definitely have to fly the miles to get the status - on a challange or any other flying incentive.
Here at FT we call them "butt in seat miles". No one has invented a way yet to get credit for flying a mile that you didn't actually fly.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL UA
I am not sure but I think that it is flying and nothing else. Since they are already giving you a break on gold they probably won't count the other towards it.
Sorry about your taxes!
Old Apr 13, 2004, 6:54 pm

And you must fly the 10K on US metal (not United).
Old Apr 13, 2004, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
And also, if you do successfully complete the challenge, I believe your Gold status will only be good through 2/05. You will still need to earn 50K status miles to qualify for gold through 2/06. However, your 15K status miles from $25K in Visa purchases will apply towards your '04 bank for '05 status.

My father got the same promotion. He's doing a MR to LA to visit me & my brothers at the end of the month, and then coming back again 9 days later for my brother's wedding.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How can you get this promotion? I am a Silver and will be flying 10,000 miles during the period. I wonder if I can get in on this challenge, target me!!
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:05 pm

Thumbs up

http://www.usairways.com/dividendmiles/3999.htm
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phl-us02
That is indeed the Bonus #. The problem, however, is that the terms and conditions of the offer state "Valid for addressee only."

I don't know how I got targetted. My wife is Silver and she didn't get the challenge.

Thanks to the responses of other FTers, I now acknowledge that the "butt-in-seat miles" are a sine qua non to satisfy the conditions of the offer.

I'm not sure that it's worth the time and $$ to do an MR or two to satisfy the conditions in order to be elevated from Ag to Au -- the difference in benefits between the two statuses is not that significant, IMHO.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:53 pm

True it was targeted, but I was able to call the service center and they agreed to sign up my 4 kids before a trip to Europe. Now we have a family of 6 all preferred.

Last edited by phl-us02; Apr 14, 2004 at 5:56 pm
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
My father called the Silver line back in January and asked if any Gold challenges were coming up. He was told to check back in a few weeks, but he got the challenge without a follow-up phone call. FWIW, my mother, who is also a Silver, did not get targetted.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Oddly enough (although this may not belong on this forum), I was given a status match on HP (from silver to gold) and miles that I flew on BA actually counted toward those status miles. The trip was booked in World Traveller Plus (don't know if that made a difference or not) so I received 110% or something like that, of the miles flown. I was pretty sure that the miles had to be flown on HP metal, but it turned out that they counted the miles on BA.

Anyone think that US would allow miles flown on UA or LH to count?
Old Apr 15, 2004, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Anyone think that US would allow miles flown on UA or LH to count?
If you're referring to the subject matter of this thread, Alysia has already answered that question (see #4, above).
Old Apr 15, 2004, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
It's pretty simple folks...

To earn status with one of US Airways challenges you have to fly your butt on a US Airways or US Airways Express plane. None of the Preferred bonus miles count either....
Old Apr 15, 2004, 2:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
challenge for CP?

Anyone knows if there might be a challenge to get to CP out there? I would love to be able to get those upgrade certificates back.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 5:14 pm
ATC

Location: Boston, Freefall: Chairman's Preferred -->Steerage Status
I am slouching towards an CP challenge that expires on June 10. It requires 20,000 miles. I'm getting winded in this CP pursuit, and may wander....

Overseas destinations? I reluctantly conclude that bribing your MD and taking two Ambien in a skinny coach seat trumps the stress incurred trying to obtain an Envoy Upgrade. Then you don't even really care whether the limes are green, yellow, or crusty brown.

Originally Posted by synd
Anyone knows if there might be a challenge to get to CP out there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.