Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Club Closing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
SFO Club Closing

Last week the agent at the USAirways Club at SFO said they were being closed. Did not know the reason why. Is there any explanation for this?
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:50 am

This news saddens me but does not suprise me in the least. US keeps paring expense on a regular basis. This is a shame. Absolute shame. I really liked that club. Made getting to SFO early. The gate areas are so small and usually very croweded.

Any idea when it will close? Perhaps it will coincide with moving US to be nearer UA and therefore lessen the impact with access to the RCC.

------------------
US-CP; UA PE; AA Plat; Hilton Gold VIP; Six Continents Gold
Old Jul 7, 2003, 1:33 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
My information was that eventually US would be moving to United area, therefore eliminating the need for a separate club.

I question the logic, however, as SFO clubs have traditionally been very crowded. On the other hand, the gate areas are much nicer.

Chalk it up to another potential boneheaded move by B. Ben and company.

------------------
IT'S THE FARES, STUPID!!

Regards,

Art at ISP
Old Jul 7, 2003, 2:09 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Unless I'm missing something, you only get RCC access when flying on UA.

So, let's assume that US moves in with UA. If you are flying on US metal, and a US club member, you are out of luck in the absense of a US club, or unless you are flying on a codeshared flight on a UA ticket. I don't believe that SFO-(PIT/PHL/CLT) have UA codes on them.

Now, elites might have some success once *A rolls around, but that'll be months away, and don't you want to bet that there will be a "domestic versus international" exception for *A lounge access between UA and US, not to mention putting the screws to general DM members who happen to be Club members.

This stinks. I won't be renewing my club membership between this potential move and the "narrowed" hours at LAX. I might, however, buy an RCC membership just to give BBB the finger.

Not to mention that the people at the SFO club rock. I once got an unsolicited call from them to inform me that the club was being cleaned on a night when I had a flight out (5 days hence) and that they'd arranged for use of the CO PC.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 2:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClueByFour:
Unless I'm missing something, you only get RCC access when flying on UA.

So, let's assume that US moves in with UA. If you are flying on US metal, and a US club member, you are out of luck in the absense of a US club, or unless you are flying on a codeshared flight on a UA ticket. I don't believe that SFO-(PIT/PHL/CLT) have UA codes on them.

Now, elites might have some success once *A rolls around, but that'll be months away, and don't you want to bet that there will be a "domestic versus international" exception for *A lounge access between UA and US, not to mention putting the screws to general DM members who happen to be Club members.

This stinks. I won't be renewing my club membership between this potential move and the "narrowed" hours at LAX. I might, however, buy an RCC membership just to give BBB the finger.

Not to mention that the people at the SFO club rock. I once got an unsolicited call from them to inform me that the club was being cleaned on a night when I had a flight out (5 days hence) and that they'd arranged for use of the CO PC.

</font>

ClueByFour - You hit the nail on the head. I completely missed the important point that as a US Club Member you must be ticketed on a UA flight (UA Metal or US Codeshare with UA Flight No) in order to gain access to the RCC.

So that completely invalidates my notion that this move was to share resources between US and UA in the same station as far as Clubs were concerned.

That sucks, I don't understand why the US Clubs are being cut as the membership is paid for with either hard dollars or miles. Both of which to me are a currency that carries value and should cover the expense necessary to operate the club. Beyond the real estate expense the labor is not much as most staffs have seen staff cuts and the food/bev is low cost oriented.

This sucks for SFO flyers on US who have membership.

------------------
US-CP; UA PE; AA Plat; Hilton Gold VIP; Six Continents Gold
Old Jul 7, 2003, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Grrrrrrr.

The SFO Club has the best employees in the business IMO. They are great and VERY helpful.

I'll be there this week so I'll ask if they are closing or just reducing their hours (as has been noted elsewhere with the LAX Club).
Old Jul 7, 2003, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
What a shame - I liked the SFO club much better than the PIT and PHL hub clubs. The gate area in terminal one is dull and overcrowded.

Glad I did not renew my membership.

Old Jul 7, 2003, 4:34 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
Assuming that US flights move to the United wing, I would think that a part of the US staff would be assigned to the UA club, and that the rules would be different there.

I have a contact on the inside and will try to find out exactly what's going on.

------------------
IT'S THE FARES, STUPID!!

Regards,

Art at ISP
Old Jul 7, 2003, 6:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Art234:
Assuming that US flights move to the United wing, I would think that a part of the US staff would be assigned to the UA club, and that the rules would be different there.

I have a contact on the inside and will try to find out exactly what's going on.

</font>
Logic would seem to dictate that Art is correct. But remember that we are dealing with Steve "We are an industry of fine print" Rice and the ever popular B. Ben Baldanza here. The Jeff Daniels and Jim Carey of the Airways (Jeff D and Jim C were the leads in "Dumb & Dumber")
Old Jul 8, 2003, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I was there last week and the people were great. Its a shame. The RCC in SFO is nice, but crowded. That is rather academic if it cant be used. Why would someone fly US in that case when they could fly UA and use the RCC. Is anyone at US thinking? (Okay, it is a rhetorical question.......)
Old Jul 8, 2003, 7:24 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
As more leases run out, they will close others. This squares with my belief that they have concluded they make no money on their very frequent travelers. In that regard, it's just another version of champagne in the plastic cup.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 12:16 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deelmakur:
As more leases run out, they will close others. </font>
US could have gotten out of whatever Club leases they wanted to during bankruptcy.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 1:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Then, why didn't they? My guess is they are valuable to trade (also, you assume the people running the place think that far ahead). Good case in point is West Palm. Continental is bigger. The club is adjacent to their gates. They'd love to have it. US announced they were closing. They run very little service out of season. The staff even relocated to other cities (eg. LAX). Then they reversed course, and kept it. No more room in the airport for anybody else. It will be interesting to see who takes the SFO space. I stand by my original observation that this is another case of disdain for customers they have deccided don't earn their keep.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
If I recall, US has at least 6 or 7 gates at SFO and I have only ever seen 2 or 3 gates being used? Why wouldn't US switch with AS/QX to make better utilization of the space at SFO? Would they be saving any real costs with a switch like that?
Old Jul 8, 2003, 9:00 pm

It looks like I will be there on 8/2 and 8/3. Anyone else in SFO at that time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.