SFO Club Closing

Old Feb 25, 2004, 6:48 am

I spoke with the person at the SFO club at length last week. The deal is that SFO is going to redo that terminal and everything will be out. Usair is trying to identify a site at the United terminal for a usair club.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 9:13 pm

Programs: United Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bofie:
I spoke with the person at the SFO club at length last week. The deal is that SFO is going to redo that terminal and everything will be out. Usair is trying to identify a site at the United terminal for a usair club.</font>
Bofie - I am not questioning what you heard, but it seems ridiculous to me that US would even consider 'building a new club' at SFO. They have a really small number of flights, and UA already has clubs there. I am sure they have been waiting to close it for years.

Old Feb 25, 2004, 9:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hscottm:
Bofie - I am not questioning what you heard, but it seems ridiculous to me that US would even consider 'building a new club' at SFO. They have a really small number of flights, and UA already has clubs there. I am sure they have been waiting to close it for years.

</font>
I spoke with the US club manager on the phone a few weeks ago, and he said the same thing...
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:54 pm

I heard it like this. In order to get US out of terminal one they offered "Incentives". One of those was that the airport authority would build them a new club wherever they relocated their gates to.

This kind of is the current regimes modus operandi, so it seems plausible.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
If US can get a new club built for free we might see it but I doubt it. The beancounters at CCY will be quick to point out that they'll have to pay to run the place when there is a perfectly good RCC nearby. After all, what better way to get folks to buy into one of the 793 types of US Club memberships now offered?

If there is/was an offer to build US a new club, I bet they bargain that off to something else instead... JMHO.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 8:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by geo1005:
If US can get a new club built for free we might see it but I doubt it. The beancounters at CCY will be quick to point out that they'll have to pay to run the place when there is a perfectly good RCC nearby. After all, what better way to get folks to buy into one of the 793 types of US Club memberships now offered?

If there is/was an offer to build US a new club, I bet they bargain that off to something else instead... JMHO.
</font>
Here's a tidbit that may make you rethink your theory. US Airways Club Manager is ex-PSA. So who knows
Old Apr 8, 2004, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Also, while the UA RCC may be "perfectly good," under current rules, US Airways Club members only get to use it when flying UA. Is this expected to change once we pay for UA RCC access?

Or will we be paying for UA RCC access only when flying UA, as is currently the case, and as seems to be indicated in the new scheme as described on the website?

If there were a USAC at SFO Terminal 3, maybe I could do without RCC access!
Old Apr 8, 2004, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
Just found out that the only available space in T3 for a club cannot be used. US would have to do asbestos abatement. Yeah right BBB.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Not to rekindle this debate, so here's a bit of an update instead:

Showed up massively early for the SFO-PHL red eye yesterday, and had time to talk to some of the US SFO employees. According to them, the station manager has been told that October is the current move time, and presumably the club closure. They think they're going over to gates between American and United, which I'm guessing would put them in gates in the 60s (AA has 60-67, UA 68 and up over in T3).

They also noted that the UA alliance has significantly increased pax loads on US in SFO, which is to be expected but still good to hear.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:35 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by phlwookie
They think they're going over to gates between American and United, which I'm guessing would put them in gates in the 60s (AA has 60-67, UA 68 and up over in T3).
Since I also fly AA, this would be very good news indeed!
Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:38 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by Spiff
Since I also fly AA, this would be very good news indeed!
Only if they reopen the crossover between AA and UA inside security.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:59 pm

SFO Club Closing

I make 25-30 round trips between SFO and PHL annually. I used to belong to the Club, but found myself using it less and less. So my information may be a bit dated.
At the end of last year the wonderful folks at the front desk told me that Terminal 1 was being razed to expand the International Terminal, and that not only was US moving to Terminal 3 (with UA), but also was going to put in a US Air club of its own.
As I said, this may be dated. God knows things change fast these days, but that option may still be on the table.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I can hardly wait for October.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 1:11 am
ISP

Originally Posted by hscottm
While this may be true, think about it this way... US has clubs in other cities that have many less flights than SFO. For instance, BUF, GSO, IND, LGW, RDU, ROC, SYR, & PBI all have clubs and they all have less mainline flights than SFO. For all anyone knows, SFO may be one of the most profitable clubs (aside from the hub clubs).
Old Aug 25, 2004, 3:24 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Is the US terminal at SFO scheduled for a demolishing or something? Arriving at 625pm last Sunday, it was a ghost town. not one other flight in the satellite. No shops/stands open, not a soul around except for us deplaning pax.

Last edited by PHL; Aug 25, 2004 at 4:20 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.