Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Club Closing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2003, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PointWeasel:
If I recall, US has at least 6 or 7 gates at SFO and I have only ever seen 2 or 3 gates being used? Why wouldn't US switch with AS/QX to make better utilization of the space at SFO? Would they be saving any real costs with a switch like that?</font>
Could be that the original plan for SFO (pre -9/11) was for US and other carriers to be moved to the old Int'l Terminal (now Terminal 2) once it was renovated. This way, they could move over, and then the concourse could be torn down to allow full use of the A concourse at the new Int'l Terminal (right now, I think there are a couple of gates that are not usable due to the current concourse that US and Midwest operate off of). However, the renovation was put on hold after 9/11 IIRC. So it may not make sense for anyone to trade with US considering that the space may only be temporary (assuming they ever get around to renovating the old Int'l Terminal).

[This message has been edited by CLTFlyer (edited 07-08-2003).]
Old Jul 8, 2003, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know when the closure will occur?
Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:03 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
my guess is that it will close about the same time US joins *A. Once that happens, you will be able to access the club when flying on any *A flight including US.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 5:06 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mileshound:
It looks like I will be there on 8/2 and 8/3. Anyone else in SFO at that time?</font>
I am holding tix SFO-PHL on 8/3 but I might extend my trip. Believe I am on the noon flight so maybe our paths will cross at the club.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rd7242:
my guess is that it will close about the same time US joins *A. Once that happens, you will be able to access the club when flying on any *A flight including US.</font>
I have yet to see any announcement that would lead me to believe this is true for anything but International Business or First Class itineraries.

Old Jul 9, 2003, 7:20 am

Last week I arrived at SFO very early for a red-eye. The club, and the entire US concourse were closed until 7:30 PM, and for a long while after that it was still very quiet. I can see why it would be hard to continue opening the club for a three or four hour window, but it also seems a shame for all those gates and the club to sit idle for so many hours during the day. (PS..being able to take BART to SFO now is great...no traffic worries.)
Old Jul 11, 2003, 8:15 pm

"ClueByFour - You hit the nail on the head. I completely missed the important point that as a US Club Member you must be ticketed on a UA flight (UA Metal or US Codeshare with UA Flight No) in order to gain access to the RCC."

All depends. I was in Dallas three weeks ago. I had intentionally booked a United ticketed flight, although I knew that it was on US metal. I wanted to utilize my club membership, as I knew that Dallas does not have a US club. Upon arriving two hours early for my flight, and planning to settle in and take care of some business I was shocked to be turned away, because I "Did not have a UA boarding pass". I explained that it was not possible to get a UA boarding pass, as this was a US operated flight, and was directly told that "that's the way it is, this code-share is going to be the death of me". I agreed that this would not be a bad idea, as I was quite PO'd by that point. Between this and the no upgrade for US status on UA flights, I have vowed to NEVER again purchase a UA ticket, or take a UA operated flight.

I'm not exactly a rookie, as I have already requalified for Chairman's status on US and Platinum on CO for the year. And, by the way, I was very careful to have both of those cards lying in the open card portion of my planner, along with my US club card, for her review, as I was digging out my boarding pass. If they don't want my business, I can certainly excercise my ability to choose someone else.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Rules on the website say you need to be on a United "ticket", not a boarding pass.

The first 3 digits of the ticket number should tell the airline (ARC Carrier Number) - US is 037, UA is 016.

I'd say they were wrong.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 7:53 am

Actually, here is the wording from the US FAQ web page:
"US Airways Club members must be on a flight operated by United or United Express to access the Red Carpet Club. United code share flights are operated by another carrier - in this case US Airways."
Technically, she was correct, but the wording on the other pages of the site, including the announcements, would lead one to belive that my Dallas situation would have given me access. United does not operate between DFW and PIT, so I did not have any other choice than to travel on a US operated code-share. My original statement is the strongest that I can voice in this situation. I will NEVER fly UA again. I have choices, and I can exercise them.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Here's the info I see:

Programs and Services
US Airways Club
Access 70 Locations Worldwide

"US Airways Club Members now have access to United Red Carpet Clubs when traveling on a same-day United Airlines **ticket**. Club members are allowed one guest when accessing the Red Carpet Club."
http://www.usairways.com/pro_services/club/

US AIRWAYS AND UNITED AIRLINES TAKE NEXT STEP IN CODE-SHARE AGREEMENT: RECIPROCAL AIRPORT LOUNGE ACCESS AND INTERLINE E-TICKETING

Beginning today, members of both the US Airways Club® and United Red Carpet Club are welcome to use any of the 70 facilities in 17 countries worldwide offered by the two airlines. A member need only show a same-day **ticket** of the host airline to take advantage of that airline’s Club facilities. This requirement is consistent with United’s agreement with its Star alliance partners for reciprocal lounge access.
http://www.usairways.com/about/press/nw_02_1014.htm

I couldn't find the reference to you sited - URL?

Perhaps a note to Customer Service noting the discrepency and how you were treated?
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:52 am

I was in the SFO club yesterday (7/13) and was told a decision on closing would be announced Tuesday. She also said the gates were still scheduled to move, but there was no timetable. Perhaps that'll come up during the meeting.....
Old Jul 14, 2003, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by joanek:
I was in the SFO club yesterday (7/13) and was told a decision on closing would be announced Tuesday. She also said the gates were still scheduled to move, but there was no timetable. Perhaps that'll come up during the meeting.....</font>
I was there as well!!! I was on the 12:45 pm departure to CLT. When were you there?

btw, yesterday proved, yet again, that the US agents in SFO are #1.

Old Jul 14, 2003, 6:59 pm

I was the earlier 1220 to Phl, but I probably passed you in the club! However, I was sans glasses and didn't even recognize a former co-worker, so I'm not shocked I didn't pick you out of a crowd.

And yes, those SFO folks are wonderful! I've got my fingers crossed that everyone stays employed, and that the club stays open.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
As a US Airways Club life member who grew up in the Bay Area, I will be very interested to learn how this all works out.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Was in the SFO club yesterday and the male employee at the desk confirmed it will be closing whne the US gates move. He will be out of a job and was less than thrilled about the situation (as ar we FFs but I'd rather sit in a crowded gate area or pay a BBB supplement on my club memebership to use the UA club than be out of work).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.