Partner Awards in case of US folding

Old Jan 9, 2004, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Partner Awards in case of US folding

I've got 320K miles in DM. Things don't look good for US at present.

If I get two F tix to AU on QX (it could happen! ), that would burn up most of the miles.

I would probably have to go almost a year out, and I might have to change dates as the time approaches.

1. If US goes under, are the award tix still good? Another post on this forum states that award tix will be honored. True?

2. If I have to change the dates (assuming inventory is available), how would I do that? With no DM to re-deposit into, what would I do?

Or should I just take some friends to Europe and burn them all that way?
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:17 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
This has been asked before; try a search. I know because I asked since i had/have a US/UA award... (talk about two carriers on the brink!) .. there was no consensus but most people felt the other airline would not have to honor the ticket .. only if they wanted to.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
QX? Did Qantas and Cathay merge?

QF = Qantas

That being said, I would not be too worried about ticketed awards. If you want to do the trip, then do ahead and book the dates you want and enjoy. If you're booking awards as some kind of insurance if US goes under, I think you're wasting your time as it's not needed.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Anyone have time to dig through the threads from last year - what if X liquidates, what about partners, what about awards, what about the new congressional bill, what about the congressional bill on awards, what about AwardGaurd, etc., etc....

So we don't have to live through it again....
Old Jan 10, 2004, 4:25 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
It depends on when US pays the partner airline for your award ticket. This could vary from partner to partner. I have no idea.

But, if they don't pay the partner until within a month or so of your departure, and they went chapter 7, 8 months prior, then the partner would likely not honor an 'unpaid' for reservation, even though you used
points....
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by geo1005:
QX? Did Qantas and Cathay merge? </font>
Confused indeed.

QX = Horizon Airlines, regional partner of Alaska Airlines.

Oh, and to chime in with something on topic, most awards are "paid" for by the airline that you have points on when the ticket is used and as such there would be no obligation to honour it - maybe as a gesture of goodwill but not otherwise.

[This message has been edited by Altaflyer (edited Jan 10, 2004).]
Old Jan 11, 2004, 1:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:

Oh, and to chime in with something on topic, most awards are "paid" for by the airline that you have points on when the ticket is used and as such there would be no obligation to honour it - maybe as a gesture of goodwill but not otherwise.

[This message has been edited by Altaflyer (edited Jan 10, 2004).]
</font>
I agree with Altaflyer. Whichever airline's "ticket stock" the e-ticket or paper ticket is issued on...determines who pays for the ticket. So, if US issued the ticket for travel on QF, QF really has no obligation whatsoever to honor the US issued award ticket if US goes under and is unable to compensate QF for the award ticket.

As, Altaflyer stated above, if QF does honor the US ticket, it's going to be mainly a gesture of goodwill.

------------------
SFnFlaGuy
Old Jan 11, 2004, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:
Confused indeed.

QX = Horizon Airlines, regional partner of Alaska Airlines.
</font>
True. I just did not think Horizon had any aircraft in their fleet capable of making the USA-Oz segment(s).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.