E-Tickets --> Paper Tickets

Old Jan 10, 04, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanum, Hilton Diamond
E-Tickets --> Paper Tickets

This may be premature, but I'd like to hear other opinions on this one..

I have tickets BDL-MSY-AVP for mid-May. Should I think about getting those converted to paper tickets in case US Airways shuts down? I've heard you're better off with paper tickets in these instances.
Old Aug 23, 04, 7:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS MVPG, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG
I'm bumping this up since no one has responded. I'm interested in this as well as I have US award tickets for UA flights next year too.

I'm not sure it really matters. If you are booked on UA, then they must have a electronic record in their systems that you are ticketed to fly with them. Would not seem to make a difference if you are holding paper vs. an E-ticket.
Old Aug 23, 04, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by MileKing
I'm bumping this up since no one has responded. I'm interested in this as well as I have US award tickets for UA flights next year too.

I'm not sure it really matters. If you are booked on UA, then they must have a electronic record in their systems that you are ticketed to fly with them. Would not seem to make a difference if you are holding paper vs. an E-ticket.
I will agree with this. I think United has all the same info in the system. I think this is premature still. I do understand that no one knows the future of US but it has been that way since 2000

Anyhow what I would sugest is to print out as much of the receipt information as possible. For all my future flights I will carry both an itinerary and also a eticket receipt that show the ticket number on it and fare basis. This is something I tend to do anyhow.

Happy flying
Old Aug 23, 04, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
The only reason to have a paper ticket is if you think you might need to take it to another carrier in the event of service interruption.

For example, when a strike occurs, other carriers will often try to accomodate passengers on a space available basis and accept the original ticket as payment (which they later submit to the original carrier for collection). If you have an e-ticket, that usually won't work.

With respect to a possible US shutdown, I don't think it will matter whether you have e-tix or paper for award travel. UA and other *A carriers will still have a record of your e-ticket in their reservation systems. Whether they choose to honor that ticket is a matter of some debate.

IMO it is highly unlikely that a non-*A carrier will honor a US award ticket for travel - they aren't in the business of providing free travel to competitor's customers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: