FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger-505/)
-   -   E-Tickets --> Paper Tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger/120236-e-tickets-paper-tickets.html)

BDLMSYDL Jan 10, 2004 8:38 pm

E-Tickets --> Paper Tickets

This may be premature, but I'd like to hear other opinions on this one..

I have tickets BDL-MSY-AVP for mid-May. Should I think about getting those converted to paper tickets in case US Airways shuts down? I've heard you're better off with paper tickets in these instances.

MileKing Aug 23, 2004 6:33 am

I'm bumping this up since no one has responded. I'm interested in this as well as I have US award tickets for UA flights next year too.

I'm not sure it really matters. If you are booked on UA, then they must have a electronic record in their systems that you are ticketed to fly with them. Would not seem to make a difference if you are holding paper vs. an E-ticket.

ryanBOS Aug 23, 2004 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by MileKing
I'm bumping this up since no one has responded. I'm interested in this as well as I have US award tickets for UA flights next year too.

I'm not sure it really matters. If you are booked on UA, then they must have a electronic record in their systems that you are ticketed to fly with them. Would not seem to make a difference if you are holding paper vs. an E-ticket.

I will agree with this. I think United has all the same info in the system. I think this is premature still. I do understand that no one knows the future of US but it has been that way since 2000 :(

Anyhow what I would sugest is to print out as much of the receipt information as possible. For all my future flights I will carry both an itinerary and also a eticket receipt that show the ticket number on it and fare basis. This is something I tend to do anyhow.

Happy flying :)

Boraxo Aug 23, 2004 5:19 pm

The only reason to have a paper ticket is if you think you might need to take it to another carrier in the event of service interruption.

For example, when a strike occurs, other carriers will often try to accomodate passengers on a space available basis and accept the original ticket as payment (which they later submit to the original carrier for collection). If you have an e-ticket, that usually won't work.

With respect to a possible US shutdown, I don't think it will matter whether you have e-tix or paper for award travel. UA and other *A carriers will still have a record of your e-ticket in their reservation systems. Whether they choose to honor that ticket is a matter of some debate.

IMO it is highly unlikely that a non-*A carrier will honor a US award ticket for travel - they aren't in the business of providing free travel to competitor's customers.