What happened to Boston service?

Old Dec 16, 2003, 9:30 am
Original Poster

What happened to Boston service?

This message is probably way overdue, but I needed to vent a little. I am a Boston native and therefore use Logan quite often to get back up north for work and to see friends and family. It is very depressing looking at the new terminal (which is beautiful) and then looking at the departures screen. I believe that every flight from BOS is express except for PHL, PIT, CLT, DCA, and LGA. Yes - there are the new flights to the Caribbean, but still.... Most of the express flights are to small cities in the Northeast and northern New England. BOS has a huge amount of O&D traffic so even though U is not big on the old point to point flying idea, I can't believe they are letting all that traffic go by the wayside (AA and DL are eating it up). Now granted I do not work in scheduling or pricing, but would we really have trouble filling flights from BOS to LAX, SFO, SEA, or LAS? If SW can fill a daily non-stop from PVD to PHX, why can't U do it from BOS? Have any Florida flights come back?

It's just very sad to see such a large market vanish.....
Old Dec 16, 2003, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Welcome to the new USAirways. The same is happening in PIT. But there sure is a build up lately in LGA with the express flights.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 6:01 pm

I see nonstops BOS to LAX on 6 January 2004, and nonstops BOS to SFO on 6 May 2004.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
They're codeshares on UA metal. The only US flights connect in PIT, PHL & CLT.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 6:48 pm

Ouch, you're right!
Old Dec 16, 2003, 8:03 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
Express flights from LGA are a special case--they're exempted from the slot controls.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 8:38 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I fly out of LGA weekly and its very disappointing.

Everything except the AM caribbean flights and the shuttle and hub flights are express service. If the express flights are exempt from the slot controls, where did all of US' slots go?
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:39 pm

This issue makes me crazy. U and BOS could be such a good fit. U is just ignoring what the BOS market needs and passing up opportunity.
Incidentally, U was selling those UA BOS/LAX nonstop codeshare flights for $198 last week if I remember right. What a deal!
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Uflyer:
but would we really have trouble filling flights from BOS to LAX, SFO, SEA, or LAS? If SW can fill a daily non-stop from PVD to PHX, why can't U do it from BOS? Have any Florida flights come back?

It's just very sad to see such a large market vanish.....
</font>
And it is going to be too late to resurrect the market with Airtran, JetBlue, Song, etc. taking over so much of the flying from BOS that U used to do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.