Wiki Posts
Search

Embraer 170

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2003, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Presidents
Embraer 170

Was chatting with a pilot on a flight to somewhere about a month ago. He told me that US pilots were training on this aircraft. It is a full size RJ with large overhaeds and a FC cabin. US has an order for 85 planes...Is this the future of the RJ?? Could this plane be the savior for US?
Old Nov 12, 2003, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
According to the May press release
http://www.usairways.com/about/press/nw_03_0512.htm
they also got a great deal.

As someone who flies frequently from a small airport, I'm looking forward to the arrival of the Embraer 170s starting November. Soon, there'd be no more need for plane-side check-in of carry-on bag, and FC availability in a RJ is a nice touch!
Old Nov 12, 2003, 7:28 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I would consider the Embraer 170/175/190/195 family as much an RJ as the DC-9, Boeing 717, and Fokker 100 ... the 190/195 are in the same league as all of those while the 170/175 is a scaled down version ... the only relationship to what most folks consider an "RJ" and the new Embraers is 2-2 seating, which in a decent size cabin is actually a great plus (no middle seat!).

Embraer homepage for EMB-170
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:19 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
There are rumors (unconfirmed thus far) that the EMB-170s might not be coming equipped with FC.

I think US would be nuts not to, but the folks at CCY never cease to amaze me with some of their antics.

It does look like a "small jet" as opposed to a "lawn dart with turbofans," tho. We'll have to wait and see what the final product looks like.

------------------
Don't feed the trolls.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClueByFour:
There are rumors (unconfirmed thus far) that the EMB-170s might not be coming equipped with FC.

I think US would be nuts not to, but the folks at CCY never cease to amaze me with some of their antics.

It does look like a "small jet" as opposed to a "lawn dart with turbofans," tho. We'll have to wait and see what the final product looks like.

</font>
I was about to ask which configuration US had ordered. The configurations that they have listed on the site kinda shock me - 70 seats at 32" pitch, 78 seats at 31" pitch - does one inch of pitch really make that big of a diference?

I somehow doubt they'll be coming with F cabins.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dcmike:
I somehow doubt they'll be coming with F cabins.</font>
Seeing that US stated in the press release (linked above) that the 70 seaters from Bombardier and Embraer both would be two-class aircraft, I think they probably will have F cabins.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 1:35 pm

Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dcmike:
I was about to ask which configuration US had ordered. The configurations that they have listed on the site kinda shock me - 70 seats at 32" pitch, 78 seats at 31" pitch - does one inch of pitch really make that big of a diference?</font>
Sure. About 70" worth, which at 31-32" of pitch, leaves enough for 2 more rows (of 2x2 seating). Ergo, you go from 70 to 78 seats.

I hope they come with an F cabin.

I'll wait until I (or one of my fellow cockroaches) actually sits in one of these F seats before declaring victory.

------------------
Don't feed the trolls.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
We will see how good these planes really are in practice. They've already had a certification delay, and the 717 will still hold about 15 more people than the biggest one, the 195, in comparable seating configurations. 717's (and maybe DC-9's) will still be flying when these things have already started going into the recycling bin if they are built as disposables like the ERJ's currenly flying.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClueByFour:
Sure. About 70" worth, which at 31-32" of pitch, leaves enough for 2 more rows (of 2x2 seating). Ergo, you go from 70 to 78 seats.

</font>
Since it's 70 seats, not 70 rows, taking out 1" would only free up about 18". I'm not sure how they get 2 more rows freeing up 18".
Old Nov 12, 2003, 2:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CPRich:
Since it's 70 seats, not 70 rows, taking out 1" would only free up about 18". I'm not sure how they get 2 more rows freeing up 18".</font>
Just look at the Embraer website, the 78 seat configuration removes part of the galley and a closet, it's not just about seats the differenced between the 70 and 78 seat configurations.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 3:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CPRich:
Since it's 70 seats, not 70 rows, taking out 1" would only free up about 18". I'm not sure how they get 2 more rows freeing up 18".</font>

Gack. Complete mental block on my part. As Tom mentions, you don't need a huge galley for 78 coach seats (since hot food won't be served) or a closet (since you don't need to hang Y pax coats).

------------------
Don't feed the trolls.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 6:01 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beckles:
Seeing that US stated in the press release (linked above) that the 70 seaters from Bombardier and Embraer both would be two-class aircraft, I think they probably will have F cabins.</font>

I sit corrected! DOH!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.