Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest to PHL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:26 am

There is no way they are going to start with 40 flights a day. Better yet, I'd like to see how they are going to get 3 airplanes at the same time at the E10 A-C gates. At most they've had 2 airplanes parked there, but I don't think there is any way all 3 can be used at the same time with the 700's without some major adjustments.

My bets on cities are MHT, MCO, STL, BNA and MDW.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:57 am
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
as WN customers tend to pay HIGHER fares because WN sells FEWER deeply-discounted seats than its full-service rivals.
</font>
Does this include the $1200 "surcharge" that Grandma gets charged if she misses her flight and no more X/K/T/S/W/Z/etc fares are available?

A couple of these on a plane and you raise your revenue/flight dramatically.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:45 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by phllax:
There is no way they are going to start with 40 flights a day. Better yet, I'd like to see how they are going to get 3 airplanes at the same time at the E10 A-C gates. At most they've had 2 airplanes parked there, but I don't think there is any way all 3 can be used at the same time with the 700's without some major adjustments.

My bets on cities are MHT, MCO, STL, BNA and MDW.
</font>
You post as if you are an expert. Please tell us why they can not start with 40 flights a day!
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:47 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tino:
The maximum fare on any Southwest flight is $150.</font>
The highest walk-up one-way is $299.

Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:48 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nawlinsdoc:
May I ask how this is done? (i.e. getting a good seat without getting to the gate way early?)</font>
You did USED to have to get to the gate way early. However, with kiosk you can now check in 3 hours prior to the flight (I am not positive on the 3 hours, but my last flight let me check in 3 hours prior). I was in group A.

If you are in group A there is no need to stand in line at the gate, just be the last one in group A and you will do fine. Group B is usually also okay to be last in, so long as the plane is originating in your airport.

The few rare times I get stuck in a middle seat, I switch at the next stop.

Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JRF:
You post as if you are an expert. Please tell us why they can not start with 40 flights a day!</font>
40 flights with four gates. Thats 10 gate movements per gate. At PHL - especially in bad weather - good f**king luck.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ITRADE:
40 flights with four gates. Thats 10 gate movements per gate. At PHL - especially in bad weather - good f**king luck.</font>
I see your point, but that's really less than 1 per hour per gate. With WN's quick turnarounds, it seems quite possible. Although the situation at PHL throws any and every possibility into the mix.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:16 pm

Generally WN plane can taxi up, deplane, clean up, reload, and pull away from a gate in about 30 minutes.

So 10 gate movements X 30 mins = 5 hours. I wonder what they will do the rest of the day?

You are right, already operating in cities like ALB, BOI, BUF, MDW, CLE, and DTW - I doubt they will no what to think about a PHL winter.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GetReal:
You are right, already operating in cities like ALB, BOI, BUF, MDW, CLE, and DTW - I doubt they will no what to think about a PHL winter.</font>
I think Itrade was referring to the fact that a mere rain shower can throw PHL into mayhem mode when other airports are fine.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
Nor does it necessarily mean that PHL fares will broadly collapse, as WN customers tend to pay HIGHER fares because WN sells FEWER deeply-discounted seats than its full-service rivals.

</font>
Any published source for the italicized assertion?? Any links to provide?
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the press release:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031028/datu052_1.html

14 daily flights to start - more will certainly follow.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GetReal:
Generally WN plane can taxi up, deplane, clean up, reload, and pull away from a gate in about 30 minutes.

So 10 gate movements X 30 mins = 5 hours. I wonder what they will do the rest of the day?

You are right, already operating in cities like ALB, BOI, BUF, MDW, CLE, and DTW - I doubt they will no what to think about a PHL winter.
</font>
Have you actually seen rain delays at PHL???????

Southwest 1512, you're number 34 for departure.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Any published source for the italicized assertion?? Any links to provide?</font>
Actually, there are several published sources that feature this data. I'm going to get in touch with B747, as he is very familiar with the various sources, and paste some links or give info. (as appropriate) in this thread.

------------------
Has YOUR airline won an award lately?
Old Oct 28, 2003, 1:03 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
This may not be as bad as people think for US.

First, what percent of PHL traffic is O&D? O&D fares will change, but I don't think connecting fares from other cities will.

Second, what percent of the above are southwest cities? Fares to LAX may go down, but not fares to non-SW cities

Third, Europe and Caribbean are money makers for US. Southwest doesn't serve either. This is where US keeps expanding because they make $$.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 1:03 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
PIT had no chance to win out over PHL in a beauty contest with PHL for SouthWest. The O/D traffic is considerably more in PHL.

I still bet that Rendell has a PIT/PHL bailout package on the backburner. He can't put all of his cards on the election since Roddy is a Repub and he's a Dem.

I'm sortof surprised that PHL would go for a LCC that will irreparably damage it's #1 source of revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.