Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest to PHL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2003, 12:14 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gregorygrady:
If you're smart and you care about the money in your wallet, YES YOU PROBABLY WOULD GO ON EBAY AND BUY A SECONDHAND RAPID REWARDS TICKET!! Now that the Rapid Rewards tickets are electronic, you can do just that for a flight 3 hours away. It's almost as easy as calling in for a reservation and could end up being only half the price.</font>
If it's a personal trip, and you're close to the airport, and you're already packed (or you pack fast), sure, that's a great idea.

What if it's a business trip? I can't expense a Rapids Reward ticket. Even if I could, why would I want to do that? Companies have cut travel quite a bit in the last couple of years, but if they can pay "only" $299 one way for a walk-up fare, they will be just delighted.

Here's another one -- suppose you want to travel on a RR blackout date. If it's a personal trip that has to be done on a particular day (e.g., funeral), you will HAVE to buy that walk-up fare. Or if it's a business trip, surely you can't make everyone else change their schedule just to fit some RR blackout dates. That wouldn't make any sense.

------------------
"Yippie-kay-yay, Mr. Falcon!" -- John McClane, Die Hard II As Seen on TV
Old Nov 3, 2003, 1:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deelmakur:
It doesn't matter what the Southwest fare is. It will be lower than the one USAirways had in mind when it planned its recovery around building up PHL. In addition, when you only offer commuter planes to major cities, the difference between yourself and SWA becomes negligible. This is all about strategy. As for our guys, how do you spell "Check Mate".</font>
yes, I do agree that's the bottom line. once the super-expensive fares are gone in the markets WN *does* choose to publish fares in, there won't be enough revenue left to keep US's other PHL ops in business.
it's very very hard to see a viable scenario in which CheckMate, Summer '04, isn't the sole possible outcome.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 5:56 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by martin33:
...it's very very hard to see a viable scenario in which CheckMate, Summer '04, isn't the sole possible outcome.</font>
It will take longer than that (if this is the only factor, which it isn't). By mid to late summer we might be able to say something like "mate in 12" with confidence though.

It seems unlikely but US could still pull it off. If they face reality, fix the fares and concentrate on positive differentiation from the LCCs. The good news is that with things as bad as they are now it'd be pretty easy to make positive changes -- the only thing that's really stopping them is force of habit...
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TomBascom:
It seems unlikely but US could still pull it off. If they face reality, fix the fares and concentrate on positive differentiation from the LCCs. The good news is that with things as bad as they are now it'd be pretty easy to make positive changes -- the only thing that's really stopping them is force of habit...</font>
well, I would agree up to a point---except that the long harsh winter is just about here to chew up the months between now and next April with weaker loads and fares. hard to see anything but drain from here to April, and then the onslaught begins...
Old Nov 4, 2003, 5:33 am

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TomBascom:
... If they face reality, fix the fares and concentrate on positive differentiation from the LCCs. ...</font>
Their actions as of late suggests they have a warped sense of reality, so it doesn't look very hopeful.
Old Nov 4, 2003, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Dia, Marriott S
It seems unlikely but US could still pull it off. If they face reality, fix the fares and concentrate on positive differentiation from the LCCs.</font>
Like low-cost First to LAS? Where they are selling the bigger, leather seat and complimentary drinks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.